Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My concerns

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Oxford sold him to Derby , he then went on to play for Liverpool and Forest , all £1M+ deals.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Why all the Lloyd bashing? Is this the same man who took us to within 90 mins of top flight football? A man who had no money to spend and found a free little little gem in Kurt Nogan? No bashing Lloyd from me.
I also remember Bolton not losing for something like 19 matches on the spin.We turned them over from a goal from Nogan.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I started watching the albion around '87 and I tend to remember Barry Lloyd for taking us to Wembley. seems weird to me to see so much negativity to him, I can't believe how oblivious I am, how little 'barry out' I remember.

Could be similar , we all know the team Lloyd took over was a million million times better than after he'd f***ed it up and left us with the shit he did

What the team that didn't get promoted in 1987 compared to the team that was 90 mins away from top flight football in 1991?

Why all the Lloyd bashing? Is this the same man who took us to within 90 mins of top flight football? A man who had no money to spend and found a free little little gem in Kurt Nogan? No bashing Lloyd from me.
I also remember Bolton not losing for something like 19 matches on the spin.We turned them over from a goal from Nogan.

Agree with you 100%, you also forget to mention Sergei Gotsmanov, Mike Small, Jogn Byrne and Mark Gall. They would all walk into the current side!
Lloyd was not God and made some mistakes, but he was not as bad as some are making out on here.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I couldn't agree more.

Whilst I do not want Barry Lloyd back as manager, if you look at the results and players he bought in he did ok and arguably better than others who have managed since. (Who can forget the game against Ipswich, the Wilkins free-kick etc)...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The board may have f***ed up big time with Adams appointment but no way are they stupid enough to re-appoint Barry LLoyd, I wouldn't lose a minutes sleep over it BG

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Yes - this is also the same Barry Lloyd that took us down again 12 months after reaching the play-off final.

Now, for all those bleating about Dean Wilkins - and Dean didn't even get us to the play-offs - is it not entirely possible that we would be in this situation now. And you can laugh at that - nobody in a million years thought we would be relegated in 1992 - but we were.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yes - this is also the same Barry Lloyd that took us down again 12 months after reaching the play-off final.

Now, for all those bleating about Dean Wilkins - and Dean didn't even get us to the play-offs - is it not entirely possible that we would be in this situation now. And you can laugh at that - nobody in a million years thought we would be relegated in 1992 - but we were.

Hmm, I wasn't happy with Adams re-appointment but I never expected it to go so wrong that we'd be looking good for relegation either, so your DW knock looks a bit dumb as you are happy to knock LLoyd and DW whilst giving Adams your full support as he drags us down on the back of one of the biggest spending sprees since he was last here?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Where does this revisionist theory on Lloyd come from, he was truely awful. Yes he got us to the Wembley Play Off final, on a negative goal difference, but for every great signing, there was a piss poor one. Also there is the matter that Small and Byrne were likely to be sold, yet he still managed to sell our other forward in Nelson, so leaving us short up front.

He hated the fans, oh and it took our subs 10 minutes longer than any other teams to warm up, due to the large amounts of passive smoking, from sitting next to Lloyd.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Hmm, I wasn't happy with Adams re-appointment but I never expected it to go so wrong that we'd be looking good for relegation either, so your DW knock looks a bit dumb as you are happy to knock LLoyd and DW whilst giving Adams your full support as he drags us down on the back of one of the biggest spending sprees since he was last here?

Where anywhere in my post did I give Adams my full support?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Where anywhere in my post did I give Adams my full support?

I was under the impression from previous posts( maybe incorrectly) that you were a big fan of Adams, apologies if that is not the case...

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I still am a big fan of Adams, he hasn't become a shit manager overnight. I still want him to do well, but I think he is on a hiding to nothing right now. But Wilkins was the reason I stopped getting a season ticket because of the shite football that was being served up (and from McGhee before him). But I still fully supported him because he was the manager of Brighton and Hove Albion.

However, that doesn't make Adams above criticism, and hide the fact that things are in a horrible mess right now. Do I think Adams can turn it round? Right now, no I don't - and I'm getting the feeling more and more that it could turn into a disaster the longer he stays.

But it's far too easy to join the tabloid-style screams of Adams out - he needs our support right now, because he is the manager of BHA, and we should all respect that until he isn't.

To return to the days of calling for managers heads at home games would be another low-point for our club, and I fear that might happen soon.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
To return to the days of calling for managers heads at home games would be another low-point for our club, and I fear that might happen soon.

I agree completely, better just to stop going than to go to hurl abuse from the kick off, it benefits nobody and is almost certainly detrimental t the teams chances of winning.

I don't recall the last time I came out of an Albion match feeling I'd been entertained and for that reason go less and less these days :(

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
My concern when reading most of his posts is that whatever part of the ground Ben's Grandad sits in must have slipped into some strange parallel dimension...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Where does this revisionist theory on Lloyd come from, he was truely awful. Yes he got us to the Wembley Play Off final, on a negative goal difference, but for every great signing, there was a piss poor one. Also there is the matter that Small and Byrne were likely to be sold, yet he still managed to sell our other forward in Nelson, so leaving us short up front.

Yes, he sold Nelson when Small and Byrne were likely to get sold, and yes he liked to smoke (he's not exactly the only one in the history of football to do that), but for every piss poor signing he made a great one, and although we went down, he took us to wembley, and he diod it with a negative goal difference!

It isn't "revisionist theory". There were positives to Barry Llyod, and there were negatives. People's opinion and experiences are affecting which ones they place more importance on.

When I look back at Mark McGhee I see a manager who took an automatic promotion favourite side and barely scraped into the play offs, a manager who upset several key players who were producing on the pitch, then making it impossible for them to play, a manager who rode his luck and survived because there were three teams worse than us in the championship. Others see a manager who gave us that great day out at the millenium stadium, a man that kept us up "against the odds".

Even Micky's first stint here is looked at by some as "he rode Zamora's coat tails".

It isn't revisionist. It's about perspective, it is about outlooks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here