Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

my concern is that all the goodwill mickey had is going down the toilet

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
mickey was a hero, yes he told us to feck off and went to "better himself" but we forgave him due to the championships we won.

now we are so poor that I am afraid he will go down as a disaster, and for that I am sad

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
mickey was a hero, yes he told us to feck off and went to "better himself" but we forgave him due to the championships we won.

now we are so poor that I am afraid he will go down as a disaster, and for that I am sad

And yet so many can't see the same thing is true of Dick Knight.

Mickey did it last time, he can do it again, but it will take time. Dean Wilkins was further down the road and would arguably have got us there quicker, but DK acted and through the season away in the process. However I believe Mickey can turn it around, as long as Dick doesn't do what he has done before and act too quickly when the flack starts to be directed at him.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
until we find out definitively why the board removed wilkins, theer will always be speculation that it was knight.

if you listen to Guy, there was lots of issues with players and training with the kids if you were not in the first team etc.

Personally I think DK has let himself get too close to the playing side instead of concentrating on Falmer......Ken Brown is non existant and DK is forced to become the mouthpiece.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The appointment of Ken Brown was a complete disaster.

As for speculation about Dean Wilkins going? Who really knows. I heard another rumour yesterday that went like this:

Baz Savage requested terms that DK would not meet. Baz went to Wilkins and said he thought this was unfair, Dean agreed, and argued his case with DK. DK didn't like this and said Dean should have backed the club. I guess you can view this both ways, either DK is right Dean should done as he said, or DK was wrong and out of touch with things, or Dean was wrong but he's a young manager who will make mistakes and needs to learn. Was it a sacking?

Anyway I understand that Dick Knight wanted him sacked then., but that the board, principally the Blooms, said no but agreed if the play offs weren't reached he could have his way. At the end of the season despite the close miss DK had his way. How the Blooms felt about this I have no idea.

Whether any of the above is true I have no idea, although the source is close to the Blooms in the business world so make of it what you will. The same source says that he expects DK move to the President role at the end of the season when someone else, currently on the board, has already agreed to be chairman. Again just another rumour, but no reason to believe or not believe.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
My concern is that we'll be playing in the same league as Crawley next season.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield
Why do you not think he's a legend?

There aren't many men who have won us a title, so I'd say they're all legends. Plus, consider the side he took over, our worst ever. The man was a miracle worker.

Steve Gritt was a miricle worker, Adams certainly wasn't

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I think legendary status comes about through either longevity and consistency of performance at a club - Peter O'Sullivan for example - or through performances of amazing brilliance, like Peter Ward or Bobby Zamora.

Mickey Adams got lucky with Zamora and then moved on before he had a chance to really cement his place in Albion folklore.

I think his status within the club was given extra kudos because he came to the club during the 'dark days' and was around when Withdean was tolerable.

He's up there as a hero in the history of the club but not a legend in my book and he's doing a pretty good job of destroying any goodwill that is still left over from those days.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I agree that Steve Gritt was a miracle worker and genuine legend material, but Micky was the man that took our worst ever team and took just a year to win us a trophy. At a club like Brighton, that's also legend qualification in my book.

Adams recruited a gaggle of players that were better than the bottom division. Would we have been promotoed without Bobby?

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Fair argument, and one I can agree with, but I think my fondness for him is basically down to the fact he was the first albion manager I ever saw us win games under. I'd been going for four years before he got the job in 1999, and I'd seen a succession of turd. Micky was the first man to actually give us some success in my time. So, as you say, it's all about every individual's "book".

TCB & Hiney don't come to blows over a 'debate' about players/managers

Break out the Champers!!

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here