Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Muzza contract latestzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Originally Posted by Foolg
Funnily enough, Murray according to Wikipedia has played 118 games for us, scoring 53 goals, Zamora played 119 (when we owned him) and scored 70, not a HUGE difference.

Quite a sizeable difference in % terms, added to which, some of Zamora's games and goals were in the Championship. Don't get me wrong, Murray's done great for us and I want him to stay, but I don't think we should break our wage structure for him. If we do, we set a precedent for all future demands, and then we're headed down the path of having a wage bill that is completely out of kilter with our revenues.

17 goals difference over say two seasons is the difference between failure and success.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Without wishing to denigrate Bobby Z's performances it should be remembered that he scored a sizeable chunk of his goals in League Two. It's also worth mentioning that apart from his last season with us unlike Murray he wasn't playing for a struggling side. The two are quite different players and whilst I wouldn't put Glenn on a par with Bobby I don't think he's that far off.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Quite a sizeable difference in % terms, added to which, some of Zamora's games and goals were in the Championship. Don't get me wrong, Murray's done great for us and I want him to stay, but I don't think we should break our wage structure for him. If we do, we set a precedent for all future demands, and then we're headed down the path of having a wage bill that is completely out of kilter with our revenues.

Not saying we should break the wage structure, just alarmed and bemused at the many people in this thread who wouldn't be bothered if he left. He's IMO our most important player, we've looked lost without him when he hasn't played.

Also, the 17 goals between Murray and Zamora, remember that over 30 of those were in League 2, and the fact Murray's been unlucky with injuries.

If people think he'll be easily replaced, think again. Good championship strikers will be very, very, hard to find if our cap is the 8k everybody seems to think it is.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
All this "we can do better" "not bothered if he leaves" business is, to me, complete and utter turd. The guys banged in 20 goals this season, add to that countless assists, and the fact he has won us numerous penalties. Its shown in the games he hasn't played how lost we look up front without him, and how important his hold up play is.
The issue seems to be money, those thinking we'll walk into the transfer market and pick up somebody with Glenn's talent. Funnily enough, Murray according to Wikipedia has played 118 games for us, scoring 53 goals, Zamora played 119 (when we owned him) and scored 70, not a HUGE difference.
If we can't afford to keep Murray, many people on here are in for a shock if they think we can afford "better".

Agree 100%.
Yes. CMS of Peterboro is a better player but can we afford £3 million to sign him?

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
If he goes for more money, then that is completely understandable, who wouldn't? But I hope he stays. He has been brilliant in both boxes this season, and that is rare these days. But TB and GP will do whatever is best for the club, that you can guarantee.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Everton are chasing David Vaughan of Blackpool. It is unsettling them. Not good enough for the Albion though. I don't think any of the Blackpool players would be good enough.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Zamora scored 83 for us in 136 appearances, or 77 in 130 when we 'owned' him, not that that makes a diffence. His record for us was 83 in 136. Murray is awesome, but, irrespective of goals, he is no where near even close to the level Zamora was for us.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
In conclusion there is good anecdotal evidence on both scores for him staying or going but at the moment we don't really know.

He has been awesome for us this season and by god we want him to stay, but if he goes he was never that good anyway (obviously)

Good catch to the poster who solved the injured shoulder/not clapping matrix of doom.

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
Not saying we should break the wage structure, just alarmed and bemused at the many people in this thread who wouldn't be bothered if he left. He's IMO our most important player, we've looked lost without him when he hasn't played.

Also, the 17 goals between Murray and Zamora, remember that over 30 of those were in League 2, and the fact Murray's been unlucky with injuries.

If people think he'll be easily replaced, think again. Good championship strikers will be very, very, hard to find if our cap is the 8k everybody seems to think it is.

Lot of sense spoken here.

The bottom line is that if he goes we will need a replacement, and this in addition to the striker we already need.

Exactly what trees do these chaps grow on? If it was that easy to find a quality 20 goal a year championship striker, would you not think the likes of Derby would have purchased them?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I want to keep him. He's not as good as BZ but he is a very good player. His all round ability will be needed next season!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Championship players earn an average salary of £195,750, League One players £67,850 and League Two £49,600.

BBC SPORT | Football | Survey reveals footballers' wages

cf. Gordon Smith (average sort of forward) was signed for £400K and earning £450 a week or £23,400 pa.
This equates (roughly) to a transfer fee of £4 million and wages of £4,500 pw or £234,000 pa. We could not afford his wages on Division 2 attendances. TV money is more now.

Note that young Premier players are probably on a wage that Albion and Championship teams can afford. I bet Chris Wood got under£100K a year.

A competitive budget would be a £5 million kitty for signing on fees and transfer fees ???

Those stats where from 5 years ago. I`ve heard that 12 k is the average in the championship now.

oh ah stantona

Oct 19, 2008
Muzza is vital for us next season imho he is a 1.5 million pound striker and not easily replaced...also has his best years ahead of him Gus wanted a 20 goal a season man and he has him....push the boat out give him what he wants within reason...the guy is pure class...last thing we want is to lose our top striker b4 kicking a ball in the championship..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here