Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Muzza contract latestzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Hope he stays. His work in front of goal, is only narrowly better than his set piece defense, which is almost as valuable. He is quiet and doesnt give a lot away so I guess it is just wait and see. If he stays, think it won't be a bad decision - the potential here is now top drawer. If he leaves, Gus knows this is a possibility, and will have a plan B. Just hope he doesn't do a Darrent Bent and leave it to late for Gus to react.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
All this "we can do better" "not bothered if he leaves" business is, to me, complete and utter turd. The guys banged in 20 goals this season, add to that countless assists, and the fact he has won us numerous penalties. Its shown in the games he hasn't played how lost we look up front without him, and how important his hold up play is.
The issue seems to be money, those thinking we'll walk into the transfer market and pick up somebody with Glenn's talent. Funnily enough, Murray according to Wikipedia has played 118 games for us, scoring 53 goals, Zamora played 119 (when we owned him) and scored 70, not a HUGE difference.
If we can't afford to keep Murray, many people on here are in for a shock if they think we can afford "better".

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Think Murray's a goner & is rumoured to be talking to Leeds. Would've been a good squad member next season but Gus will bring in others - chillax!!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Murray not clapping? Now that was a shock :D

I had a flashback to Brentford!

Personally, I'm not fussed if he signs or not, as long as he decides in plenty of time so Gus can get a replacement in, if he decides to leave.

For this reason I think Gus will give him to mid July and then give up and sign someone else.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
All this "we can do better" "not bothered if he leaves" business is, to me, complete and utter turd. The guys banged in 20 goals this season, add to that countless assists, and the fact he has won us numerous penalties. Its shown in the games he hasn't played how lost we look up front without him, and how important his hold up play is.
The issue seems to be money, those thinking we'll walk into the transfer market and pick up somebody with Glenn's talent. Funnily enough, Murray according to Wikipedia has played 118 games for us, scoring 53 goals, Zamora played 119 (when we owned him) and scored 70, not a HUGE difference.
If we can't afford to keep Murray, many people on here are in for a shock if they think we can afford "better".
Agree totally, but this happens when a player might be leaving (or not signing).
He was never that good anyway.
Even happened when it looked like LuaLua wasn't going to come back!

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
In the last two/three games he's been injured, how many points have we picked up ?

This is how I feel. Muzza's all round game is so important for us, not just the 22 goals but the lay-offs and reverse passes, the knock downs and all those free kicks he wins us. I believe we would have won easily today if he'd been fit.

Last edited:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I thought the hug between LuaLua and Poyet/Bloom was much more genuine than the half-hearted one with Murray when the team were being introduced. Maybe I'm reading too much into it :shrug:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Totally agreed. Do people really not see that Murraydoes about 8 different jobs for us, and all of them really well? Strikers like him do NOT grow on trees.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I have the feeling that Murray will go, can't blame him for getting the best deal that's on offer. He'll be missed but his departure has no doubt been factored into team planning for next season.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I sat 3 seats down from him yesterday, he was clearly enjoying the day, he is obviously very friendly with the other players, lots of congrats. Him and his missus spent the game with El Abds Missus and kid, and GGs. They were all mucking about together, from what I see, he seems to really like being part of the Albion, his missus is very much in with the other WAGs, I'm feeling positive about his future with us.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia

I also agree totally. Let's remember, Sandaza was the best Gus could come up with when we desperately needed a third striker.

Also if you look at our signings since Gus took over - Poke, Holroyd, Sandaza - even Sparrow and Noone - not many automatic first team selections there. Ankegran has been the only success, and that was only after trying Poke first.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Funnily enough, Murray according to Wikipedia has played 118 games for us, scoring 53 goals, Zamora played 119 (when we owned him) and scored 70, not a HUGE difference.

Quite a sizeable difference in % terms, added to which, some of Zamora's games and goals were in the Championship. Don't get me wrong, Murray's done great for us and I want him to stay, but I don't think we should break our wage structure for him. If we do, we set a precedent for all future demands, and then we're headed down the path of having a wage bill that is completely out of kilter with our revenues.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Also if you look at our signings since Gus took over - Poke, Holroyd, Sandaza - even Sparrow and Noone - not many automatic first team selections there. Ankegran has been the only success, and that was only after trying Poke first.

Why are you ignoring Greer, Calderon, Bridcutt, Lua Lua, Barnes and Painter?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Championship players earn an average salary of £195,750, League One players £67,850 and League Two £49,600.

BBC SPORT | Football | Survey reveals footballers' wages

cf. Gordon Smith (average sort of forward) was signed for £400K and earning £450 a week or £23,400 pa.
This equates (roughly) to a transfer fee of £4 million and wages of £4,500 pw or £234,000 pa. We could not afford his wages on Division 2 attendances. TV money is more now.

Note that young Premier players are probably on a wage that Albion and Championship teams can afford. I bet Chris Wood got under£100K a year.

A competitive budget would be a £5 million kitty for signing on fees and transfer fees ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here