Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Music mistakes you've made.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
With a couple of honourable exceptions (Primal Scream, Arctic Monkeys) a simple rule of thumb is to spurn, as you would a rabid dog, anyone who ever won the Mercury Music Prize. Yes I mean YOU Roni Size, Talvin Singh, Antony And the Johnsons, Gomez, Badly Drawn boy etc etc etc

I think it's fair to say they're usually worth avoiding. Elbow and PJ Harvey were also worthy winners.

Alonso Moseley

Jun 16, 2008
Great thread.

When I worked in the Kings Rd, Chelsea in the early/mid eighties I was stopped by a car load of mates who offered me a ticket to go see Thin Lizzy. I said no because I was going out on a hot date. She didn't show. Phil Lynott soon died.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
My biggest music mistake was probably when I was DJ-ing at uni. I was doing a chillout set of ambient music and one of the tunes lined up was an un-labelled track by Dr Phibes & House Of Wax Equations. I forgot to cue it up and whacked on the flip-side by mistake, which was pretty much just nose-bleed noise.

Certainly woke everyone up!

:dunce:

Last edited:

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
The Spin doctor's album "Pocketful of Kryptonite" was bought on the back of the "two princes" song. Bad bad bad.

ditto. and don't you just hate 'two princes' now? devious bastard of a song.

also....World Party album purchased on the strength of one song. can't remember what song it was and really don't want to look for the CD in case i'm tempted to play it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Do any former members of Toploader post on NSC by any chance? I'm sure they'd agree with hindsight that calling their debut album Onka's Big Moka was a music mistake of the highest order :lol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
With a couple of honourable exceptions (Primal Scream, Arctic Monkeys) a simple rule of thumb is to spurn, as you would a rabid dog, anyone who ever won the Mercury Music Prize. Yes I mean YOU Roni Size, Talvin Singh, Antony And the Johnsons, Gomez, Badly Drawn boy etc etc etc

Musical opinions eh? I love Anthony and the Johnsons album it's one I listen to over again, while I can't stand Primal Scream or Arctic Monkeys.

Agree with the rest though...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
To be fair, Herr, at the time I would have done the same thing.

I did try to go and see Jesus Jones at Pompey poly(!) and was turned away as I was not 18, which was even more annoying as they were being supported by Loop!!!

It was a considered choice. Info Freako was doing the rounds and was a fair single. I do regret it. Especially as when I finally got to see them they were on their last legs and half the band had left.

As for choosing Basement Jaxx I'll never know. I'm not a Macca fan I think most musos would be silly to pass on a greatest hits set from a former Beatle. I should be shot for watching Basement Jaxx regardless of the alternative.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Musical opinions eh? I love Anthony and the Johnsons album it's one I listen to over again, while I can't stand Primal Scream or Arctic Monkeys.

Agree with the rest though...

Klaxons? A good album and a brilliant live act.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
ditto. and don't you just hate 'two princes' now? devious bastard of a song.

also....World Party album purchased on the strength of one song. can't remember what song it was and really don't want to look for the CD in case i'm tempted to play it.

God, how many of us are there? I bought The Spin Doctors as well. Other albums bought on the strength of a single song but rest is pants: That lot who did Jump Around. Cannot even remember their name. Stump as well. Awful, f**kin awful.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Nothing wrong with Roni Size and Reprazent either. They (well, Roni Size and Dj Die) released a brilliant album under the name Breakbeat Era not long after winning the Mercury music prize and Size has been making decent music for years since, it just hasn't been in the mainstream. However, Size has made a couple of pretty shit albums (that still had a couple of stonewall BANGERS on them). They still rock a live show too.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh, forgot, one huge huge huge mistake was deciding to sell all my vinyl and re-buy the albums I liked on CD. I did this as a student in the very late 80s. Sadly I syphoned off a lot of the money for other things and never completed the project. I had some great vinyl as well.

Some schoolfriends went to the Isle Of Wight festival in 1970, and mentioned it to me. I wasn't ready, couldn't spare the time, money whatever, and didn't feel secure about heading there on a limb.

RIP Jimi.
Sorry I missed it, even though it was a truly awful gig by him (as the subsequent video proved).

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
House of Pain

Great single - a friend played me some more of their stuff; awful

You say that; they were really pushing the boundaries of, erm, Irish-American themed party rap with their follow up Top Of The Mornin' To Ya - "you see I'm Irish but I'm not a leprechaun, you wanna fight with me then step up and we'll get it on". (Why do I have this crap in my head? I haven't even googled that. I think I need a holiday.)

Anyway - clearly almost Sgt Pepper or Pet Sounds-like, the way they were striving to reinvent their art form.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Klaxons? A good album and a brilliant live act.

Hmmm... perhaps we could start a new thread: Mistakes you've made on the Music mistakes you've made thread.

Interesting fact about the 2007 Mercury award...

Initially, the votes were split, with four each for Amy Winehouse and Bats For Lashes, three for the Klaxons, and one for another album on the list.

However, the head judge persuaded the isolated judge to change and vote for The Klaxons, causing a three-way tie.

The head judge had the casting vote... and The Klaxons won. :-(

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
You say that; they were really pushing the boundaries of, erm, Irish-American themed party rap with their follow up Top Of The Mornin' To Ya - "you see I'm Irish but I'm not a leprechaun, you wanna fight with me then step up and we'll get it on".

"...then you get a beating just like an egg.
It's so hard to run when you've got a broken leg..."

In Miss World order:

3. Missing out on watching Happy Mondays at Bristol Poly in 1989 when I was down there.

2. Not giving Julianne Regan of All About Eve a proper kiss round the back of the Hammersmith Apollo when she said I could have one.

1. Turning down the chance to buy Diana's Live Aid pass for £300 in 1992. It was offered for sale to me by 'John The Cleaner' who did all the dressing-room cleaning at Wembley Stadium as well as all the parties (Rolling Stones, Freddie Mercury, etc.) and ended up picking up all the unused passes, handwritten notes, etc. I ended up working with him backstage for the U2 concerts a few times on their Zooropa tour.
It might be worth a bit more than £300 now...

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
- Paying 50p to see Generation X at Portsmouth Poly when they were past their 'best'. Could have bought a pint and a half of Hofmeister with that.
- Swapping Led Zep 3 for a Climax Blues Band album.
- Not seeing the Cure when they played Portsmouth around the 'Three Imaginary Boys' time and choosing to see them on their depressing and gloom-ridden 'Faith' tour.
- Thinking that, because I like his solo work, I would enjoy Ra by Todd Rundgren's Utopia; I hated it so much I couldn't even bring myself to flog it at 'The Cottage'. It had to be destroyed.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Party in the Park - c1996 (Headlined by Steps)

Working at an Elton John concert in Newbury on the hottest day of the decade, having just had my head shaved completely by my, then, Uni flatmate (apparently the attachment fell off the Clippers).

Not throwing more plastic cups at The Cheeky Girls during their gig at our University Summer Ball.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
- Thinking that, because I like his solo work, I would enjoy Ra by Todd Rundgren's Utopia; I hated it so much I couldn't even bring myself to flog it at 'The Cottage'. It had to be destroyed.

I'd forgotten that. An awful, awful album...yet the albums before it were works of a pop near-genius

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here