Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Music mistakes you've made.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Simple one this. Most people who are into music have regrets of some sort or another. Here's a chance to off-load them.

My main two are:

1) When confronted with the choice of two bands playing my uni, and only enough grant for one, I chose Jesus Jones over The Stone Roses.

2) At Glastonbury I chose Basement Jaxx over Paul McCartney. Why? To this very day I still have no idea.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
At Reading festival 2003 I decided to stay in the tent and watch boring welshies Feeder cos it was raining a bit, rather than go and watch Sheffield legends Pulp play what turned out to be one of their last ever gigs. Idiot.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Last season I chose to go to Withdean to watch us "play" MK Dons instead of going to the Dome to see The Blind Boys of Alabama.

You just reminded me how pissed off I was about that dreadful decision. Thanks.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Turning down the chance to see Ian Dury saying "I'll catch him next time" a few months before he passed away.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Mistakes? Loads of 'em....

In 1969, my dad offered to take me to the Ike and Tina Turner Soul Revue - but I'd never heard of them so I turned him down.

In 1973, Bob Marley was playing at Sussex Uni. I was going away the next day so decided to have an early night and not go

In 1975, a mate hitched to Cologne to see Can at their studio and asked me to come. I thought it was a mad idea so declined. He of course, went there, got to see some session and crashed at the studio (my mate posts on NSC, so he can rub it in some more).

In 1976, I was in Amsterdam and saw that Charles Mingus was playing at this club. If I'd have gone, I'd have not a cent left for the next day so I regretfully gave it a miss. The big mistake was not bringing enough with me.

In 1977, I tried to hitchhike to London to see the Sex Pistols at the 100 Club. I hadn't got a lift after an hour or so and gave up

That's not to mention the dozens of shite albums I've bought and hastily offloaded as soon as I could.

One thing that I have avoided is really dreadful concerts. I've seen some awful local bands but they've just cost a few bob - can't recall seeing anyone big who's really dreadful - apart from George Clinton, but he was at a festival.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I saw the Stranglers at the brighton centre in early 85. They were utter shit, as they were so pissed because it was the last night of their UK tour. They had no support, just some tw4t who stood on stage and swore for 20 minutes.

Fortunately, I am a big and loyal fan of the men in black, and saw them at cambridge corn exchange about 9 months ago, and they were awesome.

Stranglers - KTF.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
oh no, I would happily pay to see gary glitter, providing he was having his balls removed with a rusty spoon at the time.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Missus and I went to see Coldplay debut Viva La Vida in an invite-only gig at Brixton Academy (short gig, nothing special)... instead of seeing Elbow at Festival Hall, supported by Fleet Foxes.

Actually, we dashed across town and caught Elbow's brilliant encore - but that just rammed home what a dumb decision it was.

medicine man

Jan 22, 2004
by the sea
1) When confronted with the choice of two bands playing my uni, and only enough grant for one, I chose Jesus Jones over The Stone Roses.

To be fair, Herr, at the time I would have done the same thing.

I did try to go and see Jesus Jones at Pompey poly(!) and was turned away as I was not 18, which was even more annoying as they were being supported by Loop!!!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
On Morrissey's recommendation in a magazine I read (probably NME) I bought an album by a band called Bradford. Mozzer described them as the best band in Britain. They were truly truly shite. Mozzer has God awful taste in music at times.

I bought Northside's album on a whim having heard them described at one time as Britain's best unsigned band. Absolute gubbins.

Moby's second album was a mistake too. His first had some beautiful stuff on there so bought the second which was a thrash metal dirge as his reaction to the dance indutry's acceptance of drug culture. He bloody still owes me after that.

I saw Glasvegas at the Dome early this year. Truly woeful live.

Glass Candy released Beatbox last year and is one of my fave albums. Bit of a tip - don't go buying their back catalogue - Lokki 7 did and it's bad. Very bad. He offloaded it on me.

The Spin doctor's album "Pocketful of Kryptonite" was bought on the back of the "two princes" song. Bad bad bad.

Oh, and Annie's album Anniemal was bought on the back of her single "bubblegum". Another mistake.

Yep, there's some stinkers in there. Bradford was the worst.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I've also got a really awful Bobby Womack album from the 80s which is middle of the road terribleness. Basically sounds like one of those ballady numbers they used to play on Miami Vice when a girlfriend or colleague died.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Decided not to ask for time off work for a New Order gig in Bournemouth. They only played another 6 dates in Europe before going off in a huff (again), except this time I suspect they're too old to bother de-huffing.

Spent the first three years I was in to music listening to utter shite before being told to listen to a white label of a track that changed what I listened to entirely... those three years meaning I'd missed the glory days of trance entirely.

shoreham moonraker

Apr 11, 2009
similar to yours herr tubthumper, i went and saw the perfect disaster instead of the stone roses on there first album tour at bristol bierkellar.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I let my now ex-wife talk me into going to see John Denver at the Brighton Centre.

*oh the shame*

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Copied 'n' pasted from a post I made in 2006, but hey! the story hasn't changed...:

In the summer of 1991 I was driving to the Pukkelpop festival in Belgium with some friends. Feeling a bit thirsty, we looked at the line-up and the first act on was some bunch of Americans none of us had ever heard of. We had a quick discussion, decided they were a bunch of no-hopers and certainly crap, and went for a pint before going in.

Three months later, this same bunch of no-hopers were on Top of the Pops playing Smells Like Teen Spirit, and their Nevermind album was about to go mental...

Oops. :dunce: How was I to know it would be Nirvana's one and only festival appearance in continental Europe?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Most embarrassing mistake:

Buying Men at Work's album because I quite enjoyed Down Under. Execrable MOR dirge...

Worst band I willingly forked out to see:

Rainbow at the Wembley Arena, 1980. I thought they would be good. They were dreadful. Cozy Powell's 30 minute drum solo was a low point in my 32 years of gig going. The Arena didn't help as the acoustics were terrible and the sound was better in the bogs. At the end, Blackmore sparked a mini-riot and alienated the few fans he had left when he threw one of his regular strops and refused to return for an encore... My friends and I made a bonfire out of our Rainbow albums the next day (well, we were all 17 - that's the sort of pathetic symbolic gesture you make at that age...).

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here