Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Music for old farts

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Lately, i have been listening to

Van Morrison, BB King, Louis Armstrong, Ian Dury, Jimmy Cliff, Art Tatum, Aretha Franklin, Otis Reading, Ray Charles, Brian Setzer orchestra, John Mayall, (early) Peter Green.

and can safely say that i have no idea what 90% of NSCers are talking about on 'alternative' music threads

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I got lost with attila's and Storer's post

Who are these bands?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Attila missed out Neu. Slapp Happy weren't really German, just the singer was.

Can were a top, top band though. One of the best I've ever seen.

Drooper

Jul 6, 2003
Uckfield
Kent Seagull said:
I've just been listening to Radio Caroline on the internet. They are playing some fantastic stuff today, in the last hour I've heard stuff like Genesis, Kinks, Blue Mink, Cream, Led Zep and Beatles. Southern FM eat your heart out!

Caroline is currently celebrating 40 years of broadcasting and currently broadcasts from a studio in Maidstone. Just a bit different from the pirate days on the North Sea!

Highly recommended to old farts. Listen here http://www.radiocaroline.co.uk/

Anyone else remember the pirate stations of the sixties and seventies?

Fantastic, I remember listening to caroline back when I were a lad

It's not quite the same without the signal going up and down but great none the same

:dance: :dance:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yorkie: Faust were good, Amon Duul not so good, and I haven't heard of the others! (I thought they're all largely or totally German although Gwylan says not).

Tales from Topographical Oceans was an EXTREMELY dire album by a band called Yes. Although NMH will disagree with my assertion!

How sad is it that radio devolved so badly after Radio Caroline, into the pay-play repetitive bolleaux that is Radio 1 ? Tony Blackburn sell-out effing wang cur, I loved hearing him blubbing on live radio about losing his missus.

Thankfully we can reflect on late-sixties British music as being some of the greatest sounds in history of the Universe - you don't know how many Americans actually thought Led Zep, Sabbath, Tull and all the top acts were from the US.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There used to be one called RaddioNordZayInternazionale or somesuch misspelling where their only sponsor appeared to be Stimirol Chewing Gum (whatever THAT was). The entire thing was in Dutch and all the DJs sounded like the two gay cops in The Fast Show. Played decent music mind.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sullycanuck said:

How are you doing Tom?

Well... thank you for asking Sullycanuck. I was absolutely tip-top yesterday when I was in Fuerteventura courtesy of me Fame Academy winnings (cheers Alex!) and I'm splendid today cos I've been to London Town to see me mates in the Square Mile and eat beef sarnies at the Lamb in Leadenhall Market and visit the David Blaine funny farm at Tower Bridge and the gaze in awe cracking new exhibition in the Turbine Room of the Tate Modern (Pretentious? Moi?). I will however be deeply shitty tomorrow when I have to get up at five a.m. to travel from GodsOwnPostcode (BN1) to FoxyPuckenSlough.

STILL glad you asked? :p

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sullycanuck said:
To be quite honest Tom, I'm not sure because I haven't a clue what you said or meant after "I was absolutely tip top yesterday":)

See what you mean mate. Reading it back, I sort of lost the meaning meself after 'Well...' :dunce:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Translation for our Canadian friend,

Tom Hark has been to the Canary Islands for a weeks holiday paid for from a bet he won(Fame Academy - a tv programme for talent spotting)

Today he went to London and visited Westminster (Square Mile) eat beef sandwiches in a hostelry called the Lamb.

He then went to Tower Bridge to see an illusionist called David Blaine (who is suspended above the ground in a stunt)

He then visited a museum called the Tate Modern

Tomorrow he will be deeply unhappy to get up early and leave Brighton to work in a dreadful God forsaken place called Slough

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Ahh...Radio Caroline. I do remember it as a nipper. The ship (Amomigo) broke her morings in 1986 approx, then got towed into Dover Granville Docks.

They were allowed to braodcast as a local station. Then on of the DJ's was acussed of some misdameanour. The ship was quickly repaired and sailed out in the cover of darkness.

However, fantastic and varied music. Thank heavens now for the internet sations, which many appear to have the feel of Caroline.

Radio ! what's that. Try Radio 6...............:smokin:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
That was Caroline Mk 2 dover. The original, as said previously, had sailed around to the west so that the rest of England could get pop music before 1967 and Radio 1.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Living in the midlands at the time, I had the choice of Radio Caroline (North) or Radio Caroline (South) - both as crackly as each other. And there were others. Radio City, Radio London, Radio Veronica and Radio North Sea International all spring to mind.

If you fancy an evening wallowing in nostalgia, try this website - the e-book version of The Tapestry Of Delights, an extensive guide to U.K. psych, beat and progressive music between 1963 - 1976. The site contains band histories/musical analysis on over 3,400 UK acts of the era with personnel and discographical information, where known. Also included are listings of over 375 compilations, and over 1,100 sleeve illustrations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here