Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Music for old farts

Yes Lord B, and I have my copy of the book next to my p/c before I risk an eBay bid on something some seller in Greece claims is 'the b-side is top psych driving-fuzzed-out-blitzkrieg guitar mind-blowing', but turns out to be something ultimately weak and sounding like White Plains or Chicory Tip .

The search goes on, but I have to bow out when someone is prepared to bid 4 times the sensible value for a scratched-up tired 7" slice of vinyl. Even Wax-Factor don't ask those prices, and they are only waiting for some Japanese bloke with no aspect of what the currency is that he's spending, to drop loads on some record that may even be a counterfeit pressing!

Last edited:

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
A mate of mine chartered a Thames barge (Greta) from Whitstable last year, part of the trip involved going very close to the famous Thames estuary forts which were used by many pirate stations. The markings for Radio City and Radio 390 can still be clearly seen.

Woodingdean Gull

Jul 7, 2003
Woodingdean, Brighton
Those days in the early to late 60’s were quite amazing.
I remember sitting at home one evening in the kitchen, back in late 1962, trying to listen to Luxembourg on an old ‘tranny’. They played a record, which sounded, at the time, totally different from the drivel that seemed to be around then. I eagerly waited to hear who it was and heard the ridiculously sounding band name of the Beetles, (deliberate misspelling). And that, as the say, was the start of things.
Radio’s Caroline and London absolutely dominated the airwaves from when they started, to when they closed down. I was sitting in my first car listening to Radio big “L”, when they closed down at, I believe, 3.00 in the afternoon, with a dignified
“The time is now 3.00 and this is Radio London closing down”, followed by their theme tune which ends “…..Radio big L”.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here