Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mushrooming

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
View attachment 189635

Absolutely marvellous Cauliflower Fungus scenes today!
20240917_122111.jpg
That's a proper eating mushroom, had a good few of these Parasols this autumn.

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
Anyone know what this might be on a log in our garden. Temperatures are 30+ all year but this is in shade for most of the day.
20241001_152844.jpg

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I played Royal Liverpool golf course around this time last and they were everywhere. It wouldn't have felt right stuffing a load of them in my golf bag on such a posh course.
I would have taken half a dozen. Too good to miss.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
View attachment 189651That's a proper eating mushroom, had a good few of these Parasols this autumn.
Any Shaggy ones?

You'll know the difference the minute you cut them, as the Shaggy ones turn a reddish brown. They taste a bit nicer too!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Anyone know what this might be on a log in our garden. Temperatures are 30+ all year but this is in shade for most of the day.View attachment 189655
It's a bracket fungus in the 'Turkey Tail' family as far as I can tell. Don't ask me which exact one though.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Any Shaggy ones?

You'll know the difference the minute you cut them, as the Shaggy ones turn a reddish brown. They taste a bit nicer too!
Every one of the small patches I found were the standard Parasols...found one patch the had about 15 to 20 developing, went back 2 days later and it was like they never existed ...all gone, stripes and all

North of Robertsbridge

Sep 22, 2023
East Sussex
They're porcinis (ceps, penny buns). Confirmed by my Swedish DIL who has been picking them since she was a kid.
Probably not, with striping like that on the stipe (confirmed by my Swedish-born wife)

Although porcini in Italy is used to refer to multiple types of bolete, not just the cep

We collect ceps and a half dozen other boletes every week at this time of year

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
1000002870.jpg

1000002871.jpg

Regarding confusing Bay Bolete work the Penny Bun.... This is this morning's finds.

Thoughts?

I confess that I sometimes struggle to tell some Boletes apart.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
1000002864.jpg

No mistaking this Horse Mushroom though, due to the sheer size. It also doesn't stain yellow when running my thing nail across the cap.

1000002869.jpg

Better if it was fresher, with nice rose pink gills, but this one is still fresh enough for eating.

North of Robertsbridge

Sep 22, 2023
East Sussex
View attachment 189718
View attachment 189719

Regarding confusing Bay Bolete work the Penny Bun.... This is this morning's finds.

Thoughts?

I confess that I sometimes struggle to tell some Boletes apart.
A cep will always have the typical "club foot", rather than a straight stem. The example on the left of the pic has the colouring on its stem that I would associate with bay or brown birch boletes. You can easily tell a bay bolete by pressing the underside of the cap. If it bruises blue/purple, that indicates a bay. In general avoid mushrooms with red colouring, although even then there are exceptions like red cracking boletes, which grow in our garden. Those are actually edible (but not particularly exciting).

There are probably 80+ types of bolete in the UK. As a rule, we stick to those we can readily find and identify - ceps, bay and birch, slippery Jacks, Jersey cow boletes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here