Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mushrooming

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
One last pic of today's Boletes to show the staining.
A cep will always have the typical "club foot", rather than a straight stem. The example on the left of the pic has the colouring on its stem that I would associate with bay or brown birch boletes. You can easily tell a bay bolete by pressing the underside of the cap. If it bruises blue/purple, that indicates a bay. In general avoid mushrooms with red colouring, although even then there are exceptions like red cracking boletes, which grow in our garden. Those are actually edible (but not particularly exciting).

There are probably 80+ types of bolete in the UK. As a rule, we stick to those we can readily find and identify - ceps, bay and birch, slippery Jacks, Jersey cow boletes
Exactly!

Here's a pic of them to show the staining after a few minutes.
20241003_142245.jpg

I'm with you on Orange Birch Bolete, but it's likely the very similar, Leccinum quercinum, because they were under an Oak tree (y)

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
1000002873.jpg

Sorry, I promise this is the last pic. It's just that I forgot to show the caps :dunce:

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
This is I think a fungi called Tubariaceae part of the Taxonomic family of fungi many of which are very poisonous to touch or ingest
So probably best not to eat the tomatoes growing in the same pot then? I had no intention of eating the mushrooms themselves. It's really odd, there are none in the pots next to them, same compost, toms grown from seed in the same place as well. 🤷‍♀️

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Sussex Wildlife Trust are running a Beginner's Guide to Funghi - via email.

It starts with a short intro video

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here