Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Simster said:
I don't think he underachieved at all. He ... reached 2 Wimbledon semis.

Er, 4 actually: 98, 99, 01 and 02...

*pumps air with fist in slightly effeminate and embarassingly half-hearted manner*

Last edited:

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Ill NEVER cheer for Andy Murray. That remark in the press was well out of line. If tim heman (or another English sportsperson who was representing Britain) had said something like that about Scotland, you can bet your bottom dollar we would never hear the last of it from the north of the boarder. I consider myself English reather than British, so I dont have any interst in how a Scottish tennis player does. I dont mean to sound Xenophobic.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbils said:
So its ok for English people to want Scotland to lose but not the other way round?

Yes it is absolutely fine. But if that were the case, don't then expect the Scottish nation to cheer while you scoop hundreds of thousands of pounds for a few hours work each week because you are British when it suits you.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Murray has now got in a decent coach and has a real shot at becoming a serious world class contender. Hopefully, he'll win a few tournaments and learn to chill like Federer. He's OK.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Man of Harveys said:
I like him because he's punchy - I like punchy, snarly tennis players, esp. if they're any good. I used to love Jimmy Connors for the same reason.

Same here. And John McEnroe. The aggression thing is essentially the difference between Henman and Murray. One will be forever tagged decent player gallant loser, the other stands a real chance of winning Wimbledon. He just seems to want it more.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
I thought this was going to be a thread about me and how great I am... how disappointing

:down:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
There's nothing wrong with being a decent player, gallant loser and he went a lot further than the LLoyd brothers. We hadn't had a decent tennis player for decades and to be in the top 10 was an achievement.
I hope young Andy Murray does go all the way to win a grand slam tournament here and there. I agree with BOF about the banter.
We need something to cheer about in sport.

greengull2

Nov 25, 2005
Crawley
Just out of interest, does anyone here actually play tennis as a sport, rather than just a knock-around when wimbledon is on?

As an average club player I enjoy watching Murray play, though I do find quite a lot of matches fairly dull- I would rather be playing myself!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Personally, I think he should be considered a punchy, plucky Brit when he wins, and a whiney, Scottish knobber whenever he loses. Is that okay?

Kinky Gerbils said:
So its ok for English people to want Scotland to lose but not the other way round?

That's a good one! How MANY times have I heard the Sweaties blithering on about how much they want to see the English get "gubbed" by every foreign opponent!!?

It is SUCH a familiar mantra, that I question what the Scots actually dream of the most - that Scotland win, or that England LOSE.

Kinky, I don't think the English answer to your question makes a whit of difference - as far as the Scots are concerned, it has always 'been ok' to want the English to lose!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here