Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Through :clap:

'Andy Murray eventually found his form to beat Spain's Fernando Verdasco in a scrappy second-round encounter at the Australian Open on Thursday.

The Briton, seeded 15, came through 7-6 (7-4) 7-5 6-4 to set up a rematch with Juan Ignacio Chela - the man who beat him in last year's first round. '

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
clippedgull said:
Well done Andy.

I really hope that as he matures he doesn't go the Henman way.

I had real hopes for Tim.

I know a lot of people on here have slagged Tiger Tim off in the past, but being in the top ten in the world for about 10 years is not exactly a failure is it. There are not many slams to win.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Henman :clap:
Murray :clap:
Rusedski :clap:

Done well and doing well.

When you are playing against some of the greatest tennis players ever to grace the courts (Sampras, Federer etc.) Then you are doing pretty well to make it into the top 30 and win tournaments.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Tricky Dicky said:
I know a lot of people on here have slagged Tiger Tim off in the past, but being in the top ten in the world for about 10 years is not exactly a failure is it. There are not many slams to win.
Very true - I've never slagged him off THAT much but, boy, was it frustrating to see a clearly talented bloke lacking the balls to do quite as well as he should.

I hated him for it, not only because I wanted him to do better but because he was disproving my disdain for this moronic clamouring for "passion" in sport - because he clearly had none of it and underachieved as a result. Sometimes, mental strength can be important, I'd very grudgingly admit.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Man of Harveys said:
Very true - I've never slagged him off THAT much but, boy, was it frustrating to see a clearly talented bloke lacking the balls to do quite as well as he should.

I hated him for it, not only because I wanted him to do better but because he was disproving my disdain for this moronic clamouring for "passion" in sport - because he clearly had none of it and underachieved as a result. Sometimes, mental strength can be important, I'd very grudgingly admit.

I see where you're coming from MoH. I suspect he did as well as possible for the resources available to him - he was never going to have the grit and determination of, say, an Agassi or Federer. Frustrating none-the-less.

I'm pretty sure Murray will reach far greater heights.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Man of Harveys said:

I don't think he underachieved at all. He was once #4 in the world, and reached 2 Wimbledon semis. In London Lite a couple of days ago, some stupid BITCH was having a pop at him compared to Murray.

WTF has Murray done? He's beaten Federer in a nothing tournament so clearly shows potential, but has achieved shit-all so far. Hope he progresses, but make no mistake about it - ihe'll have done well to match Timmy's success.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Simster said:
I don't think he underachieved at all. He was once #4 in the world, and reached 2 Wimbledon semis.
I'd say he was good enough to have won one of the Grand Slams, but he never did. Too many second serves into the net and too many chokes, esp. in 2001 against the "popular but troubled" Croatian Goran Ivaniševiæ. But I'm sticking up for Timmy, Simmy!

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Lokki 7 said:
Why do people support Murray? Out of interest.
I like him because he's punchy - I like punchy, snarly tennis players, esp. if they're any good. I used to love Jimmy Connors for the same reason.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Lokki 7 said:
Why do people support Murray? Out of interest.

I support him as he is British and the modern era has seen very few decent British prospects.

I do feel tennis is a game that can be admired without having to support a player of your own nationality, as I have supported Chang, Ivanisevic and others in the past. But I will always support the Brit, whoever they were to play.

He does have a lot to learn and his injury antics and tantrums are a bit far-fetched, but he is the most realistic chance of putting Britain back on the map, in the tennis world.

Aside from just being British, I like him because he is precocious and interesting to watch.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun said:
But I will always support the Brit, whoever they were to play.

Even if said Brit wants England to lose and would support any nation above them?

Man of Harveys said:
I like him because he's punchy - I like punchy, snarly tennis players, esp. if they're any good. I used to love Jimmy Connors for the same reason.

I also like him for this reason, but think he is a complete KNOBBER.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Lokki 7 said:
Even if said Brit wants England to lose and would support any nation above them?

I am not going to hold a bit of banter against him.

The reporter asked him who he was going to support in the World Cup, as Scotland were not in it, for a change! (all in good humour).

He then stated that he would have to support anyone playing against England.

All a bit of fun, really. I couldn't really care less who he is to support in football or any other sport.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Lokki 7 said:
Tsk, heavens, the kid was joking - Gritt23 posted eloquently on that very topic. So he's guilty of being stupid enough to joke with a journalist who, rather than treating it as a joke, went big with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here