Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray v Federer

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I am Team Murray. Now (yes, glory hunting in full effect). But in 2006 when he said "I'll be supporting anyone but England [in the World Cup]", it was a different matter, and this together with his mardy exterior really made it difficult for me to warm to him.

It was a JOKE, in response to some anti-Scotland banter by Tim Henman. Never has a quote been taken more massively out of context.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I've never understood this dislike for Murray. He's the model professional isn't he? He's only got to where he is through constant hard work and self improvement, no image consultants, no celebrity girlfriend, never in the papers for the wrong reasons. Personally I'd rather he focused on his game.

He has been so unlucky to have to play during Federer, Djokovic & Nadal's dominance. In most other eras he would have dominated himself. Also, why should he be obligated to support England in the World Cup if it wasn't a joke? He isn't English. Some Scots identify with their Scotland more than Britain in the same way as many Welsh & English do. Why can't people respect him for being the exceptional tennis player and driven individual that he is?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I've never understood this dislike for Murray. He's the model professional isn't he? He's only got to where he is through constant hard work and self improvement, no image consultants, no celebrity girlfriend, never in the papers for the wrong reasons. Personally I'd rather he focused on his game.

He has been so unlucky to have to play during Federer, Djokovic & Nadal's dominance. In most other eras he would have dominated himself. Also, why should he be obligated to support England in the World Cup if it wasn't a joke? He isn't English. Some Scots identify with their Scotland more than Britain in the same way as many Welsh & English do. Why can't people respect him for being the exceptional tennis player and driven individual that he is?

It's because he doesn't smile for the cameras and kiss the babies, and be a tennis equivalent of Brand Beckham, Becksy, Goldenballs. All that bollocks.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
Murray in straight sets now. Murray vs Djokovic has become THE tennis rivalry now.

I loved the Federer vs Nadal years, such different styles of tennis and always a properly high quality match. But now it's a new dawn.

Raonic vs Goffin will be THE rivalry in a few years time.

raonic :lolol:

OurPrice

Nov 22, 2012
It's because he doesn't smile for the cameras and kiss the babies, and be a tennis equivalent of Brand Beckham, Becksy, Goldenballs. All that bollocks.

This is all true. And I appreciated it was a joke. But I am pretty sure this wasn't the only thing he said or did that was anti-English - but I am probably wrong, as the old memory has been letting me down of late! Anyway, as I said, I have now warmed to his personality a little, and in the end of the day, that shouldn't really come into it - what is more important is that he does the business on the court - which he has certainly been doing for a couple of years now. Fair play

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Federer is wearing PINK shoes, he's such a GIRL.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Wow, what a match, sensational tennis from both players.

The only problem with a long 5-setter, although can be great to watch, is that it can ruin the final - whoever gets through, though they do have remarkable powers of recovery (Djok is perhaps the best at that)

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
And then break point in the first game of the 4th set. It's all gone a bit wrong now though.

Little bit of a lull in intensity. I do love 5 match matches because of the swings in fortune throughout - I think the womens game misses out on that.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's all got a bit boring now that he's good. It was more fun when he used to choke or lose his rag every time he got close to making a final or winning a final. He's just a pretty good player now who might well win several of the big 4 and that's ruined it for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here