Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murray to Leeds or Blackpool 500k

king Wombat

Nov 9, 2003
wombat world
No... I was just responding to the previous point re loyalty... I don't think handing in a transfer request 6 months into your contract demonstrates loyalty... do you? Handing in a second one a year later is not exactly exhibiting loyalty either, is it?

If he stays for another 2 seasons we get his services as a player for another 2 seasons, which is, after all, what we paid £300k (and his salary) for in the first place...

I suggest that you drop your argument because you clearly cannot take a reasoned approach to the issue... :bigwave:

The guy has a girlfriend/wife and baby who have not settled here. He wants to be with his family who live up north. not exactly mercenary or selfish is it. he just wants to play football and have a decent homelife.

your arguement is based on absolutely nothing that makes sense in the real world.

ady1973

Jul 27, 2008
New Milton
I say let him go.......we will always have been be a selling club, and will remain so for the forseeable future.Unfortunatly we must sell at the peak of the players careers to be able to get the most from them. We then buy a few decent youngsters with the money and so we go on..........what we buy for 250k we then sell on for 500k in 2 seasons time.........simples

Plus if his missus doesn't like the english rivera , send her back to the smog....she will only be moaning in his ear 24/7 otherwise....how can a man work, like that

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No... I was just responding to the previous point re loyalty... I don't think handing in a transfer request 6 months into your contract demonstrates loyalty... do you? Handing in a second one a year later is not exactly exhibiting loyalty either, is it?

If he stays for another 2 seasons we get his services as a player for another 2 seasons, which is, after all, what we paid £300k (and his salary) for in the first place... What! So, all top clubs sign players for a period to get that number of years out of them rather than tie them into a contract which enables them to sell them within that period rather than just let them walk away. Don't suppose you ever read about premiership players commencing contract talks long before their contracts expire.

I suggest that you drop your argument because you clearly cannot take a reasoned approach to the issue... :bigwave:

Give me a reasoned argument and we can discuss. So far you suggest we must get his market value but also would be happy to see him walk for free after two years when, for arguments sake, he could have netted 30 goals a season and be worth to us closer to £1m. You refer to loyalty but it is and always has been a rare commodity in football. Players have been transferred against their will for decades before Bosman. Ask Fraser about loyalty!

At the end of the day, Murray's loyalty is to his family which in this day and age is admirable. He wanted to go back last year but gave us another 12 months. Maybe if he wasn't injured and had been playing, he would have enjoyed it more and might have wanted to stay but, if after all that he can't persuade his partner to stay down here (this is afterall the 21st Century) then I personally wish him well.

At the end of the day, this is just a football club. It might be our football club but for most of the players, it is just an employer. It's amazing how many posters seem to forget that.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The guy has a girlfriend/wife and baby who have not settled here. He wants to be with his family who live up north. not exactly mercenary or selfish is it. he just wants to play football and have a decent homelife.

your arguement is based on absolutely nothing that makes sense in the real world.

Except that when I sign a contract it actually means something... in the real world...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Give me a reasoned argument and we can discuss. So far you suggest we must get his market value but also would be happy to see him walk for free after two years when, for arguments sake, he could have netted 30 goals a season and be worth to us closer to £1m. You refer to loyalty but it is and always has been a rare commodity in football. Players have been transferred against their will for decades before Bosman. Ask Fraser about loyalty!

At the end of the day, Murray's loyalty is to his family which in this day and age is admirable. He wanted to go back last year but gave us another 12 months. Maybe if he wasn't injured and had been playing, he would have enjoyed it more and might have wanted to stay but, if after all that he can't persuade his partner to stay down here (this is afterall the 21st Century) then I personally wish him well.

At the end of the day, this is just a football club. It might be our football club but for most of the players, it is just an employer. It's amazing how many posters seem to forget that.

Interesting how the Prem clubs negotiate well before contracts expire when they have a player they want to retain... we should do the same... but not really relevant here... all I am saying is that handing in a transfer request after 6 months is not loyal... handing another one in after 18 months is no better, especially after Murray has been injured for about half the season, and therefore contributed nothing to the club during the time of his injury... yes, I know that the injury is not his fault BTW... the club, however, correctly invested in his recovery... what do they get in return? A transfer request... nice!

I have NOT said we should wait until the end of his contract and get nothing for him... all I said was that we paid the fee and his salary on the basis of a 3 year contract which he now seems unwilling to fulfil, which is disloyal... in an ideal world, if we wanted to keep him, and if Glenn wanted to stay, we would start negotiating a new contract with him well before the 3 years were up... hardly relevant in this situation though, but please stop misquoting me...

Fraser was correctly released: an average player, and not good enough if the club wants to go forward, which they do... you will also note in this example (which you provided) that the club continued to pay him up to the end of his contract, thereby fulfilling the contract terms, so a bad example, I'm afraid, in terms of supporting your argument...

When push comes to shove, Glenn and his partner knew what they were getting into, they took the money and security of 3 years... now they don't like it... in my book, they need to get on with it, not take the p1ss out of our club...

You obviously see it differently, but none of your 'arguments' or those of anyone else here have shifted my P.O.V. so far... I doubt you will, so lets agree to disagree...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
When push comes to shove, Glenn and his partner knew what they were getting into, they took the money and security of 3 years... now they don't like it... in my book, they need to get on with it, not take the p1ss out of our club...

You obviously see it differently, but none of your 'arguments' or those of anyone else here have shifted my P.O.V. so far... I doubt you will, so lets agree to disagree...

I believe this is where your argument is so flawed. They didn't know what they were getting into. Yes, he knew he was signing a 3 year deal or whatever it was but neither of them can say they knew exactly what it would be like living in Sussex away from their family (or more importantly away from her family). Like anyone who moves to the other end of the country or even emigrates, they have expectations and a willingness to give it a try but they don't know exactly what it would be like to live there.

Still, the one thing I think you have got right is that no one is ever goint to change you P.O.V. so I agree that we will, forever and a day have to agree to disagree.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Except that when I sign a contract it actually means something... in the real world...

Well not really give a month (or what ever is specified in a contract) notice and you can quit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here