Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murdoch withdraws BSkyB bid

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
There's a great daily news show in the States called Countdown with Keith Olbermann. It's deemed "liberal" in US circles but that just translates to "sensible" this side of the pond. He broadcasts every day and he has been great on this issue. It airs at 01:00 and can be streamed on Current (the UK feed doesn't carry it). It is also cut up into bits and placed on YouTube by the time you wake up in the morning. It will be good viewing tomorrow.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Irrespective of who owns Sky the football deal is their crown jewel and they will fight to keep it. Don't worry, we'll still have wall to wall Wigan v Swansea and Fulham v Blackburn for years to come.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Great............ back to BBC and ITV sports coverage. Be careful what you wish for folks.

What, you mean free coverage available to all? Because that would be such a bad thing.

I have always objected to Sky stealing anything worth watching and forcing people to pay for it, whilst cleaning up in ad revenues. I'm not PAYING to watch f***ing adverts. It's such a joke how this model has proved so successful. Just goes to show the idiocy of the British public

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
What, you mean free coverage available to all? Because that would be such a bad thing.

I have always objected to Sky stealing anything worth watching and forcing people to pay for it, whilst cleaning up in ad revenues. I'm not PAYING to watch f***ing adverts. It's such a joke how this model has proved so successful. Just goes to show the idiocy of the British public

This. SKY has ruined British TV, football and a whole lot else.

*runs for cover*

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
If Murdoch is forced to seel his 39% of sky, sky will not go bust. All that will happen is someone else will own that 39%. Hardly the disaster some are purporting.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

To be fair, there isn't much that is on Sky now that was previously available on the free channels.

Of Premiership football, Superleague RL, Aviva Prem Rugby and test match cricket, grand slam tennis (ex Wimbledon), only the home test matches were shown on free channels before Sky was introduced, and even then coverage was shared with stuff like horse racing and tennis.

I agree with you regarding advertising though. It seems to me the premiums are far too high considering the advertising revenue they must rake in.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I'm no fan of Murdoch but the verdict isn't quite clear-cut. If he hadn't destroyed the psychotic extortionists running some of the print unions (I was a member of one of them) then there would probably be fewer newspapers around today - and the Indy certainly wouldn't have been launched. The Time might have died as well (although it has to be said that that one-time journal of record now reads worryingly like Fox News these days).

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If Murdoch is forced to seel his 39% of sky, sky will not go bust. All that will happen is someone else will own that 39%. Hardly the disaster some are purporting.

Sky Deutschland or Sky Italia would be out of the running leaving Canal Digital , Digital+ , Canalsat or Orange as potential new owners unless an American provider steps in (eg a Disney subsidary)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

I have always objected to Sky stealing anything worth watching and forcing people to pay for it

you must have a rose tinted memory of sports coverage. before Sky brought the rights there was barely any football on TV, match of the day Saturday evening prehaps? occasional FA game? certainly, i dont recall much Rugby Union on TV before sky brought the rights, a MotD like program on a Sunday afternoon after it went pro. only Cricket coverage seems to be significantly decreased. Motor racing is same, doesnt seem to have taken to Sky.

lets face it, terrestrial TV coverage of sport is generally shit, because apart from marquee events they wont fit the rest of their programming around it. you need to have dedicated channels (though with digitial that may be possible).

im not sure how they can challenge his current sharholding as a) its actually the shareholding of News Corporation and b) its not a controlling interest. bluster from politicians with a new found sence of freedom. anywho, good time to buy the shares probably, very profitable company with alot investment about to pay out in the coming years. if Murdoch does get forced to leave it for good, Sky will be no worse off. if he gets to go again, see the share price rise substantially again.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
you must have a rose tinted memory of sports coverage. before Sky brought the rights there was barely any football on TV.

I think you might too.

From 1988 to 1992 ITV had exclusive live coverage of the old first division. The paid 44m for the rights to show 18 games a season.

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Is it just me that thinks the true headline is "Murdoch withdraws BSkyB bid... for now"? He'll be back after the dust has settled, I reckon - however long that may take.
Yep, can't believe he'd give up this easily.

The events of the last week or so have been incredible though, it's great to see our politicians now feel able to attack him, and whatever happens in the future his power must have been diminished at least.

If it turns out 9/11 victims were hacked it's going to be chaos in America as well.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
From 1988 to 1992 ITV had exclusive live coverage of the old first division. The paid 44m for the rights to show 18 games a season.

obviously passed me by. :shrug: was the coverage any good?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Huzzah! I do not subscribe to Sky, and there's an outside chance I might get back some mainstream sport on terrestrial. The football I can take or leave (at least until we are in the Premiership) but the cricket... oh the cricket.

:O:O
This, although I wouldn't mind seeing some top-flight football even whilst we aren't there (and of course Sky have the Championship too) but not being able to watch the cricket is just....not cricket :(

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Match Of The Day , The Big Match , World Of Sport , Rugby League , Cricket , Golf , Tennis etc. All shown in the old days on BBC1 , BBC2 and Southern.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
you must have a rose tinted memory of sports coverage. before Sky brought the rights there was barely any football on TV, match of the day Saturday evening prehaps? occasional FA game? certainly, i dont recall much Rugby Union on TV before sky brought the rights, a MotD like program on a Sunday afternoon after it went pro. only Cricket coverage seems to be significantly decreased. Motor racing is same, doesnt seem to have taken to Sky.

lets face it, terrestrial TV coverage of sport is generally shit, because apart from marquee events they wont fit the rest of their programming around it. you need to have dedicated channels (though with digitial that may be possible).

im not sure how they can challenge his current sharholding as a) its actually the shareholding of News Corporation and b) its not a controlling interest. bluster from politicians with a new found sence of freedom. anywho, good time to buy the shares probably, very profitable company with alot investment about to pay out in the coming years. if Murdoch does get forced to leave it for good, Sky will be no worse off. if he gets to go again, see the share price rise substantially again.

I'm not saying that Sky pinched all sport from terrestrial TV because as you and Simster say there was comparatively little live major sports coverage other than the odd football game and test match cricket BUT my point was more about Sky in general. They have a policy of thieving TV shows (usually imports) from domestic channels once they prove popular. 24 started off on BBC, Lost was originally on terrestrial TV (channel 4?), Heroes was also BBC to start with and there are many more examples. It took years and years to bring arguably the greatest TV show of all time, The Simpsons, to terrestrial TV and even then we were years and years behind Sky. Even now Channel 4 don't have the rights to broadcast any Simpsons episodes made in the last five years (although as it turns out this is a blessing in disguise as the show is piss poor now).

But with regards the sports offerings I think that in this age of digital TV, where BBC, ITV and Channel 4 have multiple free to air channels, you would see a lot more live sport broadcast to the masses if they only had the rights. And it's also a little unfair to criticise the BBC's coverage. Their football coverage is generally very good, aside from the odd bland pundit (I'm looking at you Alan Shearer) and although I'm no F1 expert, from what I can tell they make a very good job of Bernie Ecclestone's cash cow. When given the opportunity they generally excel. And Channel 4 always made a good hash of their cricket coverage too.

When Sky cheated in the bidding process to win the rights to screen Premiership matches back in 1992 they were on the verge of bankruptcy. The football deal was their only hope of succeeding and they employed underhand tactics to ensure they beat ITV. Since then the rest is history and football changed forever. I'm not saying they do a bad job, especially since those morons Keys and Gray have gone, but it costs us a considerable amount of money to enjoy, even though their advertising revenues are immense. For my money you either charge for a service that is free of ads or you let the ads subsidise the service, like you do with apps on your phone or software on your computer. I resent having to fork out in excess of £500 a year to watch live sport that is littered with massive sponsorship deals. It's like I'm paying to be sold to. And don't get me started on the rates your humble local boozer has to come up with to pull their punters in with the promise of big screen football. Its sickening

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here