Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Murdoch withdraws BSkyB bid

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Populism comes in many forms, but it was refreshing to note that MPs from all the political parties can pull together to prevent corporate takeovers that aren't in the interest of the British public.

I trust a review of the Bombardier contract and our financial commitments to the EU will be next, after all its evident that they fully understand what's in the interests of the British public. Happy days.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Irrespective of who owns Sky the football deal is their crown jewel and they will fight to keep it. Don't worry, we'll still have wall to wall Wigan v Swansea and Fulham v Blackburn for years to come.

to think of a world WITHOUT wall to wall coverage of VITAL games such as these and without ROLLING SPORTS NEWS 24 HOURS A DAY is to be plunged in to a nightmare.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Now crossed over to the States with 4 Senators asking for an enquiry into his American operation. The aledged hacking into phone calls of relatives of the 9/11 tragedy could well sink him with the 10th anniversary approaching. I don't imagine that The Guardian is top of his christmas card list.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Yep, can't believe he'd give up this easily.

The events of the last week or so have been incredible though, it's great to see our politicians now feel able to attack him, and whatever happens in the future his power must have been diminished at least.

If it turns out 9/11 victims were hacked it's going to be chaos in America as well.

and if News/Int has done the same there,the game is up for Murdoch.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Yes, in fact I can honestly say I used to watch more football on television before SKY.

Me, too, much more.

I dare say SKY's overkill of football has significantly contributed to the death of the FA Cup Final as an event, too. Cup Final day was the highlight of the sporting TV calendar. Anticipated for weeks, beginning at 9am. Now, though, we're so used to (mediocre) football on the telly 24/7, that it's become just another event.

And, of course, SKY's money means we now have ludicrous £200k-per-week stars and families are unable to afford to go to games.

Bring back The Big Match!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here