Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Munich - Hollywood Playing with History?

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
As mentioned on another thread abou the same topic, Both Chez and myself watched this film last week at a special screening and I have not decided whether I thougt it was brilliant or really poor. Sounds strange but I was the same about reservoir dogs the first time I saww but but by the 10th time I really enjoyed it.
It is superbly mdirected as is to be expected and it has some inteesting ideas in it that probably do happen but we would never know about. The only real problem with the film is the length of it 2 and 3/4 hours was to long for the film and could have quite easily be shaved by half an hour or so. If people want to pipe up about it then don't go and see it. YES IT IS REALLY THAT SIMPLE:nono: :nono: :nono: Don't just sit here moaning about it just toodle off and do something less interesting instead.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Fact is that, with Schindler's List, Spielberg wanted to make the definitive Holocaust film - he said as much in interviews at the time. In fact, he actually said (and I find this utterly reprehensible, arrogant and grotesquely over-reaching) that he wanted to make the greatest crime committed against humanity "more than a footnote in the history books".

Well, it might be a "footnote" in American history son, but for Europeans who know their modern history, the Holocaust was absolutely the defining moment of the 20th century. In fact, nothing worse has ever happened, anywhere, at any time.

So, if he wanted to make a film which truly captured the banality of evil, the horrifyingly mundane fashion in which between 9-11 million totally innocent people were murdered because of their race, why did he then make a film about people which focused on people being saved? That is sadly NOT what happened in most cases.

That's my very big problem with that film, anyway. I expect plenty might disagree.

I haven't seen Munich yet, but I will, it sounds OK. Would hotly recommend the Kevin Macdonald documentary about it the events in 1972 too, "One Day In September".

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
MoH - I think you'll find 80% of under 15's before Schindler's List had never heard of the Holocaust. The fact that because this film has been on the curriculum in schools since then under 15's now know about the Holocaust. I think you'll find that this is what Spielberg meant which I don't myself find utterley reprehensible.

The fact that you have decided reprehensibly in my opinion to slate Spielberg for this even though he set up the Holocaust memorial and given millions to its charity says more about you.

Simster says he didn't like SL because it tried to make out Schindler was some sort of hero is infact the most stupid comment I have heard in my entire life closely followed by MoH's.

It is therefore not possible to have a sensible discussion about films and Spielberg in general with some many morons on the thread.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Spielberg said:
MoH - I think you'll find 80% of under 15's before Schindler's List had never heard of the Holocaust. The fact that because this film has been on the curriculum in schools since then under 15's now know about the Holocaust. I think you'll find that this is what Spielberg meant which I don't myself find utterley reprehensible.

The fact that you have decided reprehensibly in my opinion to slate Spielberg for this even though he set up the Holocaust memorial and given millions to its charity says more about you.

Simster says he didn't like SL because it tried to make out Schindler was some sort of hero is infact the most stupid comment I have heard in my entire life closely followed by MoH's.

It is therefore not possible to have a sensible discussion about films and Spielberg in general with some many morons on the thread.

Did you do ALL your research on histroy through Spielberg films or just those about the war?

You do know ET doesn't exist don't you or have you taken that as fact too?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Chappers, I thought ET was real :eek:

You have ruined it for me now :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Marvellous. Gareth is STILL throwing a strop. I didn't think that he could keep it up for 24 hours.

Did he really think that WOTW was a great film Kinky? That was one of the biggest loads of shite and onions that I've ever sat through.

I'd go back to tipping horses Gareth if I were you.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Uncle Spielberg said:

I NEVER flounce out of a barney on here but I simply can't see any point in trying to respond intelligently to this hormonal, ill-thought out (and not entirely unamusing) gibberish - it would be pearls before an apparently clumsily-lobotomised swine. On the blob.

:flounce: (we never did get that flounce smiley sorted)

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Bollocks

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Go and play in the sand pit little boy.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It is crap.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I watched the Fantastic 4 last night. Thoroughly enjoyable. I would very much like to hang out the back of Jessica Alba.

Dandyman

In London village.
Not sure if anyone has seen this but it is stunning...

Come And See (Idi i smotri)

Director: Elem Klimov
Starring: Aleksei Kravchenko

Year: 1985

Language: Russian w/English subt.

Length: 142 mins.

Synopsis

"A crowning achievement of 1980's Soviet cinema, Elem Klimov's Come And See is perhaps the ultimate WW II film. This savage and lyrical fever dream of death, rage and terror experienced through young eyes is a virtual primer for the subsequent, similarly psychedelic intensity of Terrence Malick's The Thin Red Line and Spielberg's Saving Private Ryan. Klimov's elegant, harrowing union of unflinching ferocity and dreamlike clarity moved Empire Of The Sun author J. G. Ballard to declare Come And See the greatest war film ever made. Time Out New York agreed, saying "Come And See's nimble balance of the sordid with the elegiac makes Peckinpah's Cross Of Iron seem like Newsies."

"When young Florya willingly joins a group of Partisans fighting the Nazis in Byelorussia, U.S.S.R., he little suspects that he is plunging through the looking glass. Separated from his comrades during a paratroop attack and struck deaf by German artillery, Florya - in the company of Glascha, a beguiling peasant girl - wanders a battle-scorched Russian purgatory of prehistoric forests and man-made slaughter. Florya's journey takes him and us through a gallery of exquisitely poetic imagery and brutal human atrocity.

Unlike traditional war films, Come And See never stoops to convenient heroic catharsis or genre movie narrative symmetry. Images of a beautiful girl's impromptu dance in the rain and an SS unit's spontaneous, self-congratulatory applause at their own butchery haunt with equal power. More than any other war film, Come And See unites the powerful truths and inescapable dilemmas that lurk behind both the raptures of youth and the horrors of war."

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Easy - what is all this bollocks about War of the Worlds being utter shite. I thought it was superb with a decent storyline line, acting and special effects, the Tri Pod rising from the street was one of the greatest action sequences of all time in my opinion and worth the entrance fee for that 10 minute segment alone.

You are a man of reason , what do you say ???

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Uncle Spielberg said:
Easy - what is all this bollocks about War of the Worlds being utter shite. I thought it was superb with a decent storyline line, acting and special effects, the Tri Pod rising from the street was one of the greatest action sequences of all time in my opinion and worth the entrance fee for that 10 minute segment alone.

That film was utterly ruined by the last ten minutes of pure saccharin. :nono:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Spielberg said:

You're dragging me into your line of FIRE, GG. But ok, I'll admit it anyway. I REALLY enjoyed it. The ending was poor - I know it vaguely followed the HG Wells storyline, but the son being found alive and well at his mums was a junk ending.

But apart from that, I thought it was a thrill ride that did exactly what it said on the tin. The feeling of tension and forboding throughout the whole film was palpable - I found myself constantly scanning the the backgrounds for signs of an impending Tripod attack. Cruise, as always, was good value, and I liked the way it focussed very closely on one familys struggle and trauma, without broadening it to a worldwide Independence Day type scenario.

I give it a big :thumbsup:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
At last a sensible man.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here