Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mullers

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
This is an appreciation thread for the legend that was Mullers, so please post about the man.

However being a lazy bastard and for the benefit of others, how old is he now? What is he up to? Anyone know? He should be top name on the Falmer guest list.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Both Brighton legends, but Mullers had that something else about him... ex England captain, great player, great manager and huge personality. I wonder if we'd keep hold of him if he was manager nowadays.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Both Brighton legends, but Mullers had that something else about him... ex England captain, great player, great manager and huge personality. I wonder if we'd keep hold of him if he was manager nowadays.

Those are his good points, his habit of slagging players in public didn't endear him and his second spell he was useless. Granted he did get us into the top flight but he had a much bigger budget than anybody else. He also inherited a pretty decent team from the first Peter Taylor. As things stand Gus is much better on and off the pitch.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Absolutely agree with nearly all your points and Adams kind of mirrored him, it is a good lesson to learn really... don't do the second stint (unless your surname is Ferguson). But I remember those days like yesterday and you still have to be a good manager to take the inherited team that step further. He was well loved, and still well loved, by me anyway.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Is still the greatest manager in the history of the club so far (although I back Poyet to overtake him if he stays). Took us up two divisions and kept us in the top flight. OK, things were different then, but what a team he led. Attacking, stylish. The man will remain near the top of my own Albion legends list forever.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
He is top of my list along with Nobby and Wardy.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
He lives near me, I often see him around, he does like red wine, saw him in Sainsbury's with Mrs M.

Legend.

First player to be sent off for England though. :wrong:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
And til I read that link I always thought Bally was the first to be sent off.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
He got us into the top division for the first, and so far only, time in our history - and kept us there. He WAS half of a double-act though with Mike Bamber and yes it all ended badly (as things tend to do in football) but boy it was great while it lasted.

Agree he should be one of the main guests of honour at the opening of Falmex.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
London, I could be wrong but I have always thought so.

Anyway legend :bowdown:

generation x

its in the blood
Nov 24, 2007
Legend. Forget his second spell, never got the backing he needed to deliver.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I get the feeling there will be a legends walk out at the first game .... will be brilliant, Mullers, Ward, Nobby, Catlin, Binney, Sully, Lawrenson, and the pretentious youngsters that followed them like Robinson, Case, Stevens, Fozzy and so on and so forth. It'll be much better on the day than any World Cup or Olympic opening. Video streamers at the ready!

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
The 70's Messiah - Legend

Photograph of first day at the helm

Attachments

• img084.jpg
    img084.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 411

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He was used as pawn to bring in Barry Lloyd for his 2nd spell. The reason given for his sacking was that he lived too far away but anybody will tell you that he lived in Banstead, now lives in Southwater I believe, but you could drive from Banstead X Roads to the Goldstone quicker than Hinshlewood could get from Selsey but they didnt say he lived too far away.

A legend, a word used too frequently but in his case correctly used, from his first spell and should be top of the guest list for the opening at Falmer. If Gus achieves what we all expect he will join him in that status.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
He gave me some of my greatest, exciting and most cherished memories of watching the Albion. It's a case of you really had to be there at the time to appreciate just what Alan Mullery achieved with us. An achievment that would have been even greater if SCC & Spurs hadn't stitched us up on the last day of the season and prevented us winning promotion for two successive seasons. I agree that he shouldn't have come back but I for one will always remember him as one of the greatest managers of Brighton & Hove Albion, and soon to be followed by Gus Poyet!

:ascarf:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Mullery is an Albion legend. I love his style and dynamism. It saddens me that the only manager who led Albion to the top flight often gets his achievements diminished by the fact he inherited a reasonable side and was given a decent amount of money to strengthen the team. Fact is, he delivered promotion twice, whereas Peter Taylor couldn't, and he spent the money wisely enough to get Albion to the top flight and stay there in two Division One campaigns.

(Below are previously posted on NSC, but worth posting again in light of our Mullers tribute....)

[yt]PqShiwAapm4&hd=1[/yt]

[yt]Rc37YJBEfPo&hd=1[/yt]

His record in his second spell was pretty respectable - with little money to spend, and with a team in decline, he led the team to a place in the league that was nowhere near relegation. The collapse came after he left.

[yt]xFIebj9qvwg&hd=1[/yt]

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
He is top of my list along with Nobby and Wardy.
Agree entirely with the above.
Just fantastic times during the ascent to the old division1.Best times of my football watching 'career'.

A Mullers memory......the double V sign at Stamford Bridge in the cup replay against Palace.
I think someone on here once posted a grainy old pic of it.Would love to see it again!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here