Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mrs. Brown's Boys - Guilty Pleasure?

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Despite the fact it's clearly not high brow comedy, though it's not trying to be, I found myself laughing like a drain in places watching this last night.

Certainly a lot funnier than some of the programmes masquerading under the 'comedy' banner over Christmas. Is it bad I quite enjoyed it?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I've never watched it because it looks shit, but I've been told that it's anything but and actually rather amusing.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
I can honestly say, it's the worst comedy I have ever seen. It's not in the slightest bit funny, and I can only presume it's aimed at the over 50's who have just necked an entire bottle of port and have just been beaten over the head with a baseball bat.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Out of interest Southampton resident Carrot Cruncher, as 'Southampton' only has one 'h' in it it surely must be pronounced 'ampton' rather than 'hampton' as the only 'h' in the word belongs to the 'South' rather than the 'hampton' and cannot belong to both. Grateful for your thoughts.

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
I'd never watched it before but have a friend who raves about it. I laughed in some places, thought some of it was funny - but then I'd just sat through that David Jason Bodyguard thing which was utter tripe and didn't make me even smile - in fact my toes were curling in my slippers!!!!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its utter cack.

When you compare it with the beautifully crafted lines (and facial expressions) of The Office, or the impeccable comic timing of Fawlty Towers, then you really do see the brutal difference between brilliant comedy and "meh". OK its probably unfair to compare Mrs Brown with those comedy behemoths, but you're looking for something clever in the writing to make you chuckle, and sadly it just ain't there.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Everyone has been bigging it up, particularly from the Irish angle, but after watching it last night, I honestly can't say it was remotely amusing.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'd rather be sat in the front row of An Hour With Les Dennis, me more than likely the only attendee, Les refusing to admit i'm all that's there and oh, look, there's his Mavis for the 9th time.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Despite the fact it's clearly not high brow comedy, though it's not trying to be, I found myself laughing like a drain in places watching this last night.

Certainly a lot funnier than some of the programmes masquerading under the 'comedy' banner over Christmas. Is it bad I quite enjoyed it?

Mate, next your going to tell me Life of Riley and My Family are amongst the best comedies ever made!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
No good without his Vera (Dustin Gee)

I saw at a glance last night they had something on ITV about The Unforgettable Ernie Wise. A whole hour or more on the boring and slightly depressing life of a "comedy" duo straight-man and all of his particularly unhilarious moments. The Unforgettable Sid Little, etc, should then follow. Actually, i'd much prefer A Foul and Perfunctory Glance at Les Dennis and How He Attached Himself to a Modest Talent For As Long As It Breathed. Or a hidden camera show with the Krankies.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I'd never watched it before but have a friend who raves about it. I laughed in some places, thought some of it was funny - but then I'd just sat through that David Jason Bodyguard thing which was utter tripe and didn't make me even smile - in fact my toes were curling in my slippers!!!!!

Agree on both accounts

SpidersLegs

Feb 2, 2007
Here & there
Its utter cack.

When you compare it with the beautifully crafted lines (and facial expressions) of The Office, or the impeccable comic timing of Fawlty Towers, then you really do see the brutal difference between brilliant comedy and "meh". OK its probably unfair to compare Mrs Brown with those comedy behemoths, but you're looking for something clever in the writing to make you chuckle, and sadly it just ain't there.
The Office & brilliant comedy in the same sentence? That's a joke surely!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here