Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Mr potter and motivation

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
If there is a flaw in Potterball it seems to be that it works much better against teams that have a go. The worst games thus far (accepting I didn't see Chelsea or Man Utd away) were both the Sheffield ones where neither team messed about with the high press or overcommit forward. The gaps and extra men aren't there. I'd guess that the interchanging positions works less well with irregular players.

Potter wants ball players and he will be backed by the club. Say goodbye to Bong and probably Duffy in the summer. There is no chance he considers the squad full which CH did this time last year. I expect that the squad will be more or an image of the 1st team this time next year when the ressies are inevitably trotted out in the 3rd round for Hull at home.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Not sure he selected a strong side and then told them to go out and not be arsed.

My thoughts entirely - the attitude of the outfield players is what cost us the game. They thought they could just stroll through the game and get a result. I exclude Duffy and Alzate (who worked damn hard making up for the lack of effort from Bissouma & Stephens) from this statement. There was no closing down or pressing like they do in a league game and the passing was slow and pi$$ poor.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Potter's man management of the 20-25 first team squad i.e. 18 players used in Xmas rotation means that there appears to be no burning sense to 'Show Em' on cup days, and certainly no appetite to put their foot in and get injured. The players who have not been part of any rotation are under-footballed and know that they're probably on borrowed time and are probably of a similar mind re: injuries. Add in that the club, and football in general, prioritise league football over cup football - especially when our last two deep forays in the FA Cup resulted in (directly or indirectly) relegation or skin of the teeth survival (10 points in 17 second half of the season games) - then why is anyone surprised by yesterday's shit show? That team yesterday tried to ease there way through an unwanted fixture. They were so far off it - that it only took a 90% interested Massive to be at us. Move on.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
If there is a flaw in Potterball it seems to be that it works much better against teams that have a go. The worst games thus far (accepting I didn't see Chelsea or Man Utd away) were both the Sheffield ones where neither team messed about with the high press or overcommit forward. The gaps and extra men aren't there. I'd guess that the interchanging positions works less well with irregular players.

Potter wants ball players and he will be backed by the club. Say goodbye to Bong and probably Duffy in the summer. There is no chance he considers the squad full which CH did this time last year. I expect that the squad will be more or an image of the 1st team this time next year when the ressies are inevitably trotted out in the 3rd round for Hull at home.

I went to Chelsea, and saw the United game on a stream. Along with the Sheffield clubs, these were the worst performances of the season, so I'm not entirely sure I agree with your broader analysis re the games this season (I do agree with your second para). Yesterday, for instance, we had multiple openings in the first half -- think of how many touches Maupay had in their penalty area, for instance -- but we just didn't get shots off. Sure, we weren't up to much in the first half, but we should have gone in at half time with a lead. Second half, we were dire, and devoid of spark and effort.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Re first para Chelsea did press high at Stamford Bridge throughout the game and we did look quite uncomfortable. Webster gave away the penalty after being pressured.

But we lack a creative spark when teams play in a rigid defensive structure, and with a lack of height at front we cannot easily work the ball off one player, instead being reliant on good movement.
[MENTION=28490]Machiavelli[/MENTION] mentioned touches in the box, but how many clear cut chances were created as a result?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I’m not sure Potter is to blame. It’s a tournament where most Premier and Championshp clubs field weakened teams and ticket prices need to be reduced to attract a fraction of the usual league gates. This lack of interest from clubs and supporters alike must work its way into some players mind and attitude. The FA Cup lost its magic a long time ago unfortunately.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I’m not sure Potter is to blame. It’s a tournament where most Premier and Championshp clubs field weakened teams and ticket prices need to be reduced to attract a fraction of the usual league gates. This lack of interest from clubs and supporters alike must work its way into some players mind and attitude. The FA Cup lost its magic a long time ago unfortunately.

There were 20k supporters there so I don't think you can say that there was a lack of interest from fans. It was an opportunity to sell the game to a lot of new fans and the team just did not respond. Whilst the cup is less important than the league its not unimportant in the potential to generate interest (and therefor income) to the club. Yes most teams field weakened teams but SWFC did as well so not an excuse and while some of the players are unlikely to play first team again plenty of those on the pitch are in the match day squad. A poor day really.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I’m assuming all the fans that are moaning about the players not being arsed were themselves bang up for it, creating a wall of noise and encouragement, intimidating the Wednesday players and turning the Amex into a fortress for 90 minutes of deafening, rocking atmosphere?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I’m assuming all the fans that are moaning about the players not being arsed were themselves bang up for it, creating a wall of noise and encouragement, intimidating the Wednesday players and turning the Amex into a fortress for 90 minutes of deafening, rocking atmosphere?

Give me £20k to turn up to sing and make a noise for 90 mins and I would make an effort even if I can't sing in tune.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Give me £20k to turn up to sing and make a noise for 90 mins and I would make an effort even if I can't sing in tune.

Why do people always bring money into it? Why is it relevant?

You are filthy rich compared to about 90% of the world, does that mean you strain every muscle and sinew every second of every day in your job and never ever have an off day or let your effort dip one tenth of a percent?

(Obviously the answer is no, because you are a human and not a robot).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There were 20k supporters there so I don't think you can say that there was a lack of interest from fans. It was an opportunity to sell the game to a lot of new fans and the team just did not respond. Whilst the cup is less important than the league its not unimportant in the potential to generate interest (and therefor income) to the club. Yes most teams field weakened teams but SWFC did as well so not an excuse and while some of the players are unlikely to play first team again plenty of those on the pitch are in the match day squad. A poor day really.

I should have written less of an interest, instead of a lack.

I hear what you’re saying, but all things considered, the FA Cup is of limited interest to clubs, supporters, tv companies, sponsors etc etc. I have the feeling this all-round apathy seeps into the minds of certain players and they don’t put in as much mental and physical effort.

As an aside, I’m as guilty as anyone, I went for a run instead of going to the game or even bothering to listen/watch it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

What if you were getting 20k for 90 mins every week? You might sing in a game where your status, livelihood and future depends on it, ie the league. You might not bother as much otherwise.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Why do people always bring money into it? Why is it relevant?

You are filthy rich compared to about 90% of the world, does that mean you strain every muscle and sinew every second of every day in your job and never ever have an off day or let your effort dip one tenth of a percent?

(Obviously the answer is no, because you are a human and not a robot).

Money has a hell of a lot to do with it and is completely relevant. Every footballer should be able to pass and cross a ball. Can you imagine musicians from a philharmonic orchestra hitting bum notes, going out of time and loosing their place throughout a piece of music? They wouldn't last.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Money has a hell of a lot to do with it and is completely relevant. Every footballer should be able to pass and cross a ball. Can you imagine musicians from a philharmonic orchestra hitting bum notes, going out of time and loosing their place throughout a piece of music? They wouldn't last.

How can you possibly make that comparison? Football is an improvisational sport, it’s not theory-based like an orchestra is. What happens on a football pitch is affected by so many factors. Complete nonsense argument.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
How can you possibly make that comparison? Football is an improvisational sport, it’s not theory-based like an orchestra is. What happens on a football pitch is affected by so many factors. Complete nonsense argument.

Bollocks. Potter is the conductor and the players are the musicians who are instructed to play to the tune he puts before them. It's a very good comparison especially if we are put Jazz into the mix to make you feel better about the improvisation part.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
WTF the Premier ain't a singing competition ffs. You will have to do better than that if you want an argument you God damn fool.

:rollseyes: it wasn’t my analogy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here