Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moving to Seaford or Rye ... comments?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Shitholes.

Funny, the well-known comic turn and Labour activist John O'Farrell described Seaford as such in a book wot he wrote a few years ago called "This Is Your Life".

To be fair, it's quite funny. The hero describes growing up in a family where his elder brother bullied him by farting on him (squashing him first). I wonder if this sibling memory was drawn from personal experience..

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Now you listen hear mr total silly bo....cks , what is wrong with Newhaven? I used to live in Whitehawk 15 years ago so to me it's like living in St Tropez!
Also have you seen our new rubbish tip( sorry recyle centre) we also have a KFC, McDonalds and a Lidl.
Enoy looking for a parking space( if you drive) in Hove!

Im just sending this from Newhaven..you must have a funy idea of St Trop. Can't see any Bardot figures here walking down the High Street, more like Lardarse on Sea.

Getting quite attached to the incinerator which I call "The Woodlouse".

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Whether NSC reacts differently to female posters - well, we will probably get a truer story from those posters themselves rather than the perspective of middle-aged men.

Why do you feel only the poster can provide a truer story? Every post and every response is here for all the public to see and judge. Virtually anyone on this site could easily name you the top 5 people who regularly get a robust response and they get such a reply because of their posts and their character. Reaction has nothing to do with age or sex and I'm disappointed you do not see it this way.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Guided tours can be arranged at popular rates. :cheers:

Good point pub crawls are amazingly easy given that most of the pubs are situated within the bounds of the medieval village. Only the White Lion to the West and the Seven Sisters up the Alfriston Road are "Out of town". Bishopstone could do with a pub to replace the long-lamented Buckle Inn though:(

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Not interesting as to who may be "right" and "wrong" but interesting following a brief conversation I had with a young female poster on NSC who rarely posted due to the reaction to her posts. Most of the replies (including yours) may have been fair enough - but I wonder would there have been the same number and tone had she posted as OAPGull for example.

Anyway, that is why it is interesting. To me, if not to you. MissGull seems well able to look after herself (and may not even be a herself for all I know).

Sorry if I have offended you but I was offended by #50, I can take a joke and do like the lighter side of NSC but if you had lived, work or have some very good friends in Seaford you would have understood the reaction. nothing to do with a user name.
Regards.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
It's bigger than most people realize but the only area I'd really avoid is Raymond Close. There was a lot of housing built during the 40's and 50's and these seem to have a much better build quality then the later ones. The biggest estate is Chyngton which was a council estate but now is nearly all private.

I had a girlfriend once who lived there. I found out after a while that she was an alky. She suffered a very sad death alone about 6 years ago, long after we split up. Took me a while to get over it.

Women + drink...

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Im just sending this from Newhaven..you must have a funy idea of St Trop. Can't see any Bardot figures here walking down the High Street, more like Lardarse on Sea.

Getting quite attached to the incinerator which I call "The Woodlouse".

This is more like it :lolol: Please PM me if you would like to buy some fake Burberry or Lacoste clothing as I have heard Primark are coming to town soon and I need to shift my stock.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
This is more like it :lolol: Please PM me if you would like to buy some fake Burberry or Lacoste clothing as I have heard Primark are coming to town soon and I need to shift my stock.

Many years ago I got stopped in Seaford by a sales rep who'd just come off the boat, he sold me a handful of sales samples of that very famous Italian jacket..you know the one where the boss was killed. Having a senior mo so can't remember the name! Versace..

As far as I know they're kosher tho.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Sorry if I have offended you but I was offended by #50, I can take a joke and do like the lighter side of NSC but if you had lived, work or have some very good friends in Seaford you would have understood the reaction. nothing to do with a user name.
Regards.

There was no offence taken by me, and certainly no need to apologise ...... I always liked Seaford anyway as it happens.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Good point pub crawls are amazingly easy given that most of the pubs are situated within the bounds of the medieval village. Only the White Lion to the West and the Seven Sisters up the Alfriston Road are "Out of town". Bishopstone could do with a pub to replace the long-lamented Buckle Inn though:(

Especially now the Beachcomber is no more.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I used to use the British Legion a lot as it was a friendly place with very cheap booze, I forgot to renew my membership one year though and they didn't remind me. The Conservative club used to be ok but I haven't been in there for years now.

Jan 30, 2008
I used to use the British Legion a lot as it was a friendly place with very cheap booze, I forgot to renew my membership one year though and they didn't remind me. The Conservative club used to be ok but I haven't been in there for years now.
you mean it was cheap booze for people with no military connection , that's the problem these days doug, places have lost their identity :facepalm:
regards
DR

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I used to like all of those pubs but now it seems they were in a galaxy far, far away....

It seems a real crime to me that The Buckle and The Beachcomber are no longer with us.

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Orange County. California.
I used to like all of those pubs but now it seems they were in a galaxy far, far away....

It seems a real crime to me that The Buckle and The Beachcomber are no longer with us.

Very true...

The Buckle: was run by a friends family, many early primary school days spent playing in and around the pub, had the smallest pool table I have ever seen.

THe Beachcomber: Worked and spent years as our local, was a really nice place when Pete Smith did all the work, then Brumwell brought it and did nothing to the place for 20 years, he ended up buying all the surrounding properties and sold them as a job lot.

The Viking Hotel: Bar down stairs in the basement, many years after hours in there before the place became flats.

The Sea Victorian Hotel: Another pub with views, but most memorable for "Colonel Boogies" a nightclub to rival the Trek back in the day. Now flats.

Seaford Head Hotel: Opposite the Tee for the long 5th hole, my brother had his first beer in there, while wearing his Seaford Head School uniform, got brought by Phil James who built the Trek in the early 70's. He turned the hotel into a really nice place to drink, now big homes with great views.

Trying to think of other pubs that have disappeared, the only new ones I can think of were Flintstones and the Boot...

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Very true...

The Buckle: was run by a friends family, many early primary school days spent playing in and around the pub, had the smallest pool table I have ever seen.

THe Beachcomber: Worked and spent years as our local, was a really nice place when Pete Smith did all the work, then Brumwell brought it and did nothing to the place for 20 years, he ended up buying all the surrounding properties and sold them as a job lot.

The Viking Hotel: Bar down stairs in the basement, many years after hours in there before the place became flats.

The Sea Victorian Hotel: Another pub with views, but most memorable for "Colonel Boogies" a nightclub to rival the Trek back in the day. Now flats.

Seaford Head Hotel: Opposite the Tee for the long 5th hole, my brother had his first beer in there, while wearing his Seaford Head School uniform, got brought by Phil James who built the Trek in the early 70's. He turned the hotel into a really nice place to drink, now big homes with great views.

Trying to think of other pubs that have disappeared, the only new ones I can think of were Flintstones and the Boot...

The Nash's? I was at school with Mark. Often walked to school with him as he got the train from Bishopstone to Seaford and it was on my route. I'd forgotten the Viking! But the Beachcomber was very good. I was driving along Chyngton road the other day and looked sadly at where the Seaford Head Hotel had stood. I remember when I was at school, there was a Hungarian teacher who was in her 30's. She was refused a beer as she looked so small and young. Problem was, she pointed out that half her pupils were in there drinking! Happy times....

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Very true...

Interesting read, all before my time in Seaford, when did you move away?

The Hole in the wall(later the V bar) has now closed down. The Boot(old boot) was still open the last time I went past or do you mean another place?
where was Flintstones?

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
The Nash's? I was at school with Mark. Often walked to school with him as he got the train from Bishopstone to Seaford and it was on my route. I'd forgotten the Viking! But the Beachcomber was very good. I was driving along Chyngton road the other day and looked sadly at where the Seaford Head Hotel had stood. I remember when I was at school, there was a Hungarian teacher who was in her 30's. She was refused a beer as she looked so small and young. Problem was, she pointed out that half her pupils were in there drinking! Happy times....

Indeed the Nash's, I was in Andrew's year, he is the youngest, Mark was the oldest I believe, who else was in your year?

So.CalGull

Sep 28, 2010
Interesting read, all before my time in Seaford, when did you move away?

The Hole in the wall(later the V bar) has now closed down. The Boot(old boot) was still open the last time I went past or do you mean another place?
where was Flintstones?

I was born in bungalow in Quarry lane in 1970, literally in the back room...I moved away in 2001, yes I meant the "old boot" it was built by the Boot family, who used to own the Hole in the Wall when it was a nice pub. Flintstones is/was at the top of Saxon Lane, which runs into Broad Street at the very bottom, I think there is/was a Thai eatery on the corner in front of it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here