Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moving to Brighton

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
What's the one that's closed - the one at the bottom of the hill?

At the bottom of the hill there are just houses, some fairly new, on the site of the old brewery, one corner of which still remains and is now a community centre. Round the corner is the Freebutt, but that's not closed either.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Did you actually read my post? I wasn't guessing how much something was worth, I was saying what actually happened. And to me, if you can sell a tiny house in a pretty grotty area and buy a large house in a pretty nice area for more than £50,000 cheaper, then you're getting a pretty good deal.

I'm aware that I'm talking more than three years ago but I've just done a quick search on Rightmove: two bed houses in Tooting go for about £270k to £300k, four bed houses near me go for about £230k to £250k so the differerential is still there.

And according to the Land Registry website, the average property price in London is £358k, while in Brighton it's £271K so my experience is pretty much in line with average.

Tooting is ( relatively) expensive compared to other London boroughs though.

Its a part of the Stockwell/Clapham/Balham Northern Line axis.

If you did the same Rightmove exercise on more Outer London boroughs not on the Underground (like Croydon, Sutton or Bexley), you would find Brighton prices are on par, or even more expensive in many cases.

Last edited:

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
If you want a decent sized place, then you're best off to the west of Brighton...Portslade or Southwick would be best...Stay clear of Brighton central at the moment...It's full of Amy's

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Did you actually read my post? I wasn't guessing how much something was worth, I was saying what actually happened. And to me, if you can sell a tiny house in a pretty grotty area and buy a large house in a pretty nice area for more than £50,000 cheaper, then you're getting a pretty good deal.

I'm aware that I'm talking more than three years ago but I've just done a quick search on Rightmove: two bed houses in Tooting go for about £270k to £300k, four bed houses near me go for about £230k to £250k so the differerential is still there.

And according to the Land Registry website, the average property price in London is £358k, while in Brighton it's £271K so my experience is pretty much in line with average.

You did very nicely out of it and I'm VERY jealous. My two-bed terrace is worth pretty much HALF that London average, despite being a lovely home. I'm on Rightmove all the time (although I've not looked up Brighton on there for a few months now), and if you transplanted my gaff to a nice part of Brighton, you'd have to shell out a load more cash for it.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire

If you did the same Rightmove exercise on more Outer London boroughs not on the Underground (like Croydon, Sutton or Bexley), you would find Brighton prices are on par, or even more expensive in many cases.

Absolutely.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Tooting expensive:D:D (sorry, I know it is relatively speaking but i remember when it was the dregs)

I remember when I moved there, most of my friends thought I'd moved to somewhere like Outer Mongolia. As for being on the tube, the estate agent thought that we wouldn't get a big price for it as we were so far from the tube (10 minutes away! Haven't estate agents got legs?)

Yes, of course, there are places in Brighton that are more expensive than London. If you were moving from a one-bed flat above a crack den in Peckham to a five-bed house in Withdean, then you can expect to pay a lot more but if you compare like-to-like then Brighton is much cheaper. As I said, I was shocked by how much more you got for your money in Brighton - even with a £260 season ticket, I'm paying a smaller mortgage for a much bigger house.

Yes, prices in Croydon are on par with prices in Brighton but it's scarcely London, it's 15 on the train. So, it would be like comparing prices with Worthing - and that's a lot cheaper again.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm lucky enough to own [well the bank own] a nice house in a really nice part of Chandlers Ford, halfway between Southampton and Winchester. Its a nice part of the world - 15 minutes from the edge of the New Forest, less than an hour to London, if you like that kind of thing. International airport and mainline train station 10 minutes away. All in all a fairly desirable place to live.

If, however, that very same house, were by my parents' house in Withdean, it would cost around £200k more. Brighton really is a very expensive town.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Yes, of course, there are places in Brighton that are more expensive than London. If you were moving from a one-bed flat above a crack den in Peckham to a five-bed house in Withdean, then you can expect to pay a lot more but if you compare like-to-like then Brighton is much cheaper. As I said, I was shocked by how much more you got for your money in Brighton - even with a £260 season ticket, I'm paying a smaller mortgage for a much bigger house.

Yes, prices in Croydon are on par with prices in Brighton but it's scarcely London, it's 15 on the train. So, it would be like comparing prices with Worthing - and that's a lot cheaper again.

Actually, one-bed flats above Peckham crack-dens are very sought after these days ;)

Seriously, though, even Worthing's more expensive than Woolwich, where I am, in the London Borough of Greenwich! Like for like, Brighton is more expensive than quite a few parts of London - I know, cos I've looked and it's bloody frustrating!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
You did very nicely out of it and I'm VERY jealous. My two-bed terrace is worth pretty much HALF that London average, despite being a lovely home. I'm on Rightmove all the time (although I've not looked up Brighton on there for a few months now), and if you transplanted my gaff to a nice part of Brighton, you'd have to shell out a load more cash for it.

Aren't you feeling the benefit of the Olympics yet, ELS?

I don't know what part of East London you're in, but your flat is worth £185k, my guess is that it's not a good one.

But the point that I'm making is that if you're moving from a not-so-nice part of town to a "nice part of Brighton" you're not comparing like-with-like.

To go back to the original post: I moved back here to bring up kids and moved to Coldean because you got a lot for your money and it's a nice area - no crime, lovely views, very quiet. I imagine that a lot of younger people wouldn't really want to go for this and would want Hanover or North Laine or somewhere (which is expensive) but what I'm trying to say is that Brighton isn't all about expensive areas - if you look around, there are plenty of cheaper places.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Actually, one-bed flats above Peckham crack-dens are very sought after these days ;)

Seriously, though, even Worthing's more expensive than Woolwich, where I am, in the London Borough of Greenwich! Like for like, Brighton is more expensive than quite a few parts of London - I know, cos I've looked and it's bloody frustrating!

Just seen where you live.

Funnily enough, I was in Greenwich last week and couldn't believe how expensive things were. I saw a one-bed flat for £500k and this in area not served by the tube.

I actually texted my missus about it as it was gob-smacking.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Aren't you feeling the benefit of the Olympics yet, ELS?

I don't know what part of East London you're in, but your flat is worth £185k, my guess is that it's not a good one.

But the point that I'm making is that if you're moving from a not-so-nice part of town to a "nice part of Brighton" you're not comparing like-with-like.

To go back to the original post: I moved back here to bring up kids and moved to Coldean because you got a lot for your money and it's a nice area - no crime, lovely views, very quiet. I imagine that a lot of younger people wouldn't really want to go for this and would want Hanover or North Laine or somewhere (which is expensive) but what I'm trying to say is that Brighton isn't all about expensive areas - if you look around, there are plenty of cheaper places.

Aye, fair cop about the like for like. I'm in south east London these days (used to be in the east, hence the username) and Olympic fever's not knocked on over here yet, despite the DLR being built. Still, I've got two commons about a minute away, fresh air - away from the London smog - and I live in a lovely 1880 two-bed terraced house, with lawned garden. But we've just had to drop the price 10% to try and get a sale, from £200K to £180K. f***ing doing my head in.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Just seen where you live.

Funnily enough, I was in Greenwich last week and couldn't believe how expensive things were. I saw a one-bed flat for £500k and this in area not served by the tube.

I actually texted my missus about it as it was gob-smacking.

It's a strange old borough, Greenwich. Million pound flats one minute, then a couple of miles down the road, £180K terraced houses.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
It's a strange old borough, Greenwich. Million pound flats one minute, then a couple of miles down the road, £180K terraced houses.

I used to live in Blackheath Village, so know Greenwich and SE London very well.

The bit around Greenwich town centre and up and around the park is very expensive, but go half a mile out east or west and prices drop significantly.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
House prices in Moulscoomb are expensive considering they are ex council house stock. Due to its proximity to the Uni a lot of houses are now owned by BTL investors renting out to the student population. Prices are a bit cheaper if you dont consider central Brighton & Hove and look at Portslade or Peacehaven instead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here