Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moving back to London

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Me and my girlfriend have had enough of all this commuting bollocks and are looking to move to the big smoke. We are looking to buy and have a budget of £250k. I lived in Brixton for a couple of years and loved it but the Mrs isn't too keen. Can anyone reccomend any areas that my budget will be workable in?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Depends where you work in London doesn't it?

I use to live just up the road from Brixton it was great but would never go back.
What about New Addington?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I use to live just up the road from Brixton it was great but would never go back.

Agreed, used to live up Stretham Hill and then West Norwood, but would never go back. Don't do it Common - take a salary cut and get yourself a nice local job - quality of life and all that.

:thumbsup:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Agreed, used to live up Stretham Hill and then West Norwood, but would never go back. Don't do it Common - take a salary cut and get yourself a nice local job - quality of life and all that.

:thumbsup:

Same here,lived in Stretham Hill,Christchurch RD

dingobruce

Oct 21, 2009
SE4 9UL
I would highly recommend Brockley. Leafy and green, beautiful old houses and only 8 mins to London Bridge. Some great pubs and cafes filled with friendly locals, and of course the beautiful Hilly Fields park with stunning views over to Kent one way and the whole city of London the other way. Plus your just a 15 minute stroll from Greenwhich town centre. East London line opening in a month or so will take you up to Wapping and Shoreditch, also down to Crystal Palace! Just moved here myself on the weekend :)

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
No disrepect Common but you have a budget slightly smaller than ours and when we had the nipper the one bedroom flat in Camden just was not going to work, and for the amount of money could not get anything half decent unless we moved further out. The problem with that is the travel in to the centre were the wife works can be not much more than the trip from brighton, and may i say without the rewards of going home to fresh sea air and the downs on your door step instead of a drunk or dead body or gang warfare everywhere. Londons cool if your mega rich or a student. Thats my thoughts, but what do i know. good luck anyways :thumbsup:

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Thanks all for the advice so far.

I'm in my late twenties so want a couple if years in London with the mrs before the inevitable move back down south with kids etc. I work at London bridge so dingo, Brockley sounds perfect. You are not the first person who has mentioned this to me so I was testing the water to see if anyone else brought it up.

The mrs works in Soho so have to take that into account too. I want my £250k to go as far as possible too.....

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Depends where you work in London doesn't it?

What about New Addington?

New Addington is great if you like living on a great big Chav ridden council estate where the biggest local store is Iceland.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Thanks all for the advice so far.

I'm in my late twenties so want a couple if years in London with the mrs before the inevitable move back down south with kids etc. I work at London bridge so dingo, Brockley sounds perfect. You are not the first person who has mentioned this to me so I was testing the water to see if anyone else brought it up.

The mrs works in Soho so have to take that into account too. I want my £250k to go as far as possible too.....

Try looking as far out as Orpington (Zone 6), that's a reasonable area.

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Lea Green was ok when I lived there, nearest station Hither Green or Lewisham for the DLR, its no Knightsbridge but was affordable without being a slum, close to Blackheath and Greenwich.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
New Addington is great if you like living on a great big Chav ridden council estate where the biggest local store is Iceland.

:lol:

I know i worked there for six months.What a shit hole that place is.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Is that for one-bed flat, two-bed, house?

If it's a one-bed flat, you could live in lots of places; if for anything bigger, your choice is more limited.

I agree with bushy though - if you're going to live as far out as Orpington, you might as well stick to Brighton. And Tooting is a great place - best area that I lived in when I was in London.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
he wants to live in london, he might as well live in brighton as orpington,why not think of tooting or somewhere on the northern line.

Orpington is no more than a 20 minute train ride to Victoria, London Bridge or Blackfriars, hardly Brighton is it ?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Orpington is no more than a 20 minute train ride to Victoria, London Bridge or Blackfriars, hardly Brighton is it ?

Just had a look and the quickest journey from Orpington to London is 37 minutes. I agree that it's quicker but the sake of a 25 minute time saving, he might as well live in a nicer place.

the slow norris

Feb 8, 2005
Suffolk
Just had a look and the quickest journey from Orpington to London is 37 minutes. I agree that it's quicker but the sake of a 25 minute time saving, he might as well live in a nicer place.

erm, try orpington to london bridge - 17 minutes non-stop. £250k will get you a 3 bedroom house, but make sure it's not in one of the Cray's. However, good high st restaurants aside, there's v little to do in orpington itself, and it's an expensive (£60) cab ride back from town.

My mum lives in Lee Green, it's perfectly fine (v close to blackheath) but there's not that much to do in Lee green itself. Sister lives in Brockley, and it's good for all the reasons mentioned above, plus you can walk to South east London's premier nightclub The Venue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here