Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Moving back to Blighty & Brighton: Help needed!

KLF

Albion Boleh!
Oct 27, 2004
Living next door to Gully
After 6 great years in Malaysia, I'm moving back to the UK and Brighton in December. We're choosing Fiveways - can the good people of NSC tell me what's good and what's not near there? Pubs, takeaways, etc. All comments gratefully received! Thanks!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Good 15 mins stroll into town for work ect , good selection of local takeaways , smallish co op , off licence , 5 min drive to asda , sainsbury , pet shop sells reasonably cheap frozen mice for the snake you cant bare to leave behind.

Bad , traffic pretty much constant and heavy , always seems noisy , never leave your bin lid open the gulls have bag snatching off to a fine art .

Not my cup of tea as a place to settle down but im a old fart and like peace and quiet ,
Good luck with the move and welcome back to blighty

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
After 6 great years in Malaysia, I'm moving back to the UK and Brighton in December. We're choosing Fiveways - can the good people of NSC tell me what's good and what's not near there? Pubs, takeaways, etc. All comments gratefully received! Thanks!
It's been too long Rob!

Are you getting a season ticket for Falmer? :thumbsup:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Best of luck with the move. My only knowledge of the area is from the top of the Mithras House P & R bus on the way to Withdean. I always think that the houses overlooking Blakers Park look a good place to live but what do I know?

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
good : north village cafe

don't: ever go in the stanmer park tavern

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The Roundhill's a decent boozer.

No it isn't.

Chicken Run is wrong about people moving from Hanover to send their kids to Balfour. They move from London to do that.

Pubs...

Stanmer Park Tavern - avoid like the plague
The Park View - Never can make my mind up whether I like this place or not. Decent beer selection, gormless staff.
The Cleveland - Not bad. Nice outside in the summer, opposite Blaker's Park. It's a bit white van man-ish after they moved in from...
The Preston Park Tavern - which is ponciness in a hat
The Open House - good beer, good food, lousy staff, noisy music. Good outside in the summer.
The Roundhill - Kiddies' bar
The Jolly Brewer - f*** off

Food...

Raven's Bakery - excellent
Forfar's Bakery - stay in Malaysia if you're contemplating that
Barfield Butcher - excellent
Choice Cuts butcher (down Preston Drove) - excellent
Something or other Deli - OK. All the staff are 17, and have peroxide hair
Greengrocer - Good, but expensive
North Village - pleasant for a morning coffee
Co-Op - if you're desperate
Birdcage (formerly The Tin Drum) - pleasant, but the meatheads from the Stanmer Park Tavern came in and chavved it up.

There's a couple of burger takeaways, a kebab house, off-licence - a regular Beanotown community.

Area generally...

Quiet, pleasant, decent community spirit.

Like. :thumbsup:

SeagullRic

Jan 13, 2008
brighton
Right, a few bits of advice:

If your wanting fish and chips always go to Jenny's, not the one near the post office which is absolutely awful

As already mentioned, avoid the Stanmer Park Tavern at all costs

Use Ravens and never that monstrosity Forfars just down the road

I'm bound to promote it since I work there, but Blakers Park Cafe do very nice cakes and coffee (although it is a little on the pricey side)

Nothing else immediately springs to mind, just that its generally a decent place to live

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Best of luck with the move. My only knowledge of the area is from the top of the Mithras House P & R bus on the way to Withdean. I always think that the houses overlooking Blakers Park look a good place to live but what do I know?

The most active estate agent in the area is David - they seem efficient. All the agents refer to the 'golden triangle'; the area bordered by Stanford Avenue, Preston Drove and Preston Park.

My daughter's looking at houses there and she feels that the nearer you are to the top (ie Fiveways and Blakers Park) the better. Certainly, the views from Southdown Ave, Cleveland Rd and Chester Terrace are great. Because of the way the hill slopes it is generally better to to be on the Preston Park side of any given street - you're less overlooked and you get the evening sun.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Fiveways has reinvented itself as Fiveways Village, complete with holistic healers and the usual bollocksy array of non-shops that nobody ever goes in. Despite the naff 'Fiveways Village' tag, patently a desperate device to try and talk up property prices, the big old houses are still nice and the pubs remain stubbornly shit. Village my arse :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here