Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Move on, move on, nothing to see here. Especially no whizzy winger from Newcastle

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I thought it was a fair question. Be great if KLL signs, but he was in the team last year, so no improvement there. We've lost our best striker and best midfielder and brought in another striker and midfielder. As things stand, I'd say we're weaker than we were at the start of last season. But we'll be buying more before the start of next, so all will be good.

So why was it a stupid question?

We DID NOT have KLL this time last year.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Look at the fixture list - no easy games, we need to be better than last year and we are certainly heading in that direction, but loss of your leading scorer and the League 1 Player of the Year need to be replaced before we start improving and that seems to be where we are to date. I am very optimistic though that come the Donny game we will have a team that is good enough to be mid table at least

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Look at the fixture list - no easy games, we need to be better than last year and we are certainly heading in that direction, but loss of your leading scorer and the League 1 Player of the Year need to be replaced before we start improving and that seems to be where we are to date. I am very optimistic though that come the Donny game we will have a team that is good enough to be mid table at least

We never had Craig M-S?

Murray has been replaced with a fast striker able to score only a couple less goals in a relegated team, and who is better suited to Gus' style of play. Bennett will obviously be a loss, but he was half way out the door in his head after January anyway. I understand that Will Buckley is a better player than him, and has Championship experience. Some Watford fans say he goes missing, but so do all wingers without being passed the ball - including Bennett when he was out wide.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
We never had Craig M-S?

Murray has been replaced with a fast striker able to score only a couple less goals in a relegated team, and who is better suited to Gus' style of play. Bennett will obviously be a loss, but he was half way out the door in his head after January anyway. I understand that Will Buckley is a better player than him, and has Championship experience. Some Watford fans say he goes missing, but so do all wingers without being passed the ball - including Bennett when he was out wide.

There were different votes for League 1 Player of the Year - strange but true

Murray missed too many chances (true even though he was top scorer - but I doubt we will create as many chances this season), but was outstanding at holding the ball up and won many dangerous free kicks and penalties as defenders struggled to deal with his movement and position. He will be missed as overall he was outstanding for us last season - but I am sure if Gus thought we needed to keep him we would have done. I suspect that our forward line will contain players earning more than Murray was after by the time the season starts

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
We never had Craig M-S?

How do you know how good Buckley and Hoskins are? Seen them play enough to make a judgement?

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
There were different votes for League 1 Player of the Year - strange but true

Murray missed too many chances (true even though he was top scorer - but I doubt we will create as many chances this season), but was outstanding at holding the ball up and won many dangerous free kicks and penalties as defenders struggled to deal with his movement and position. He will be missed as overall he was outstanding for us last season - but I am sure if Gus thought we needed to keep him we would have done. I suspect that our forward line will contain players earning more than Murray was after by the time the season starts

Unfortunately, strikers are there to score goals in Gus' style of play. No target man is required. My gripe with Murray was not his goals to shots ratio, but the number of chances he failed to take. The "good points" you mention, could be seen as him just f***ing about instead of getting a shot in, and failing to take responsibility by shooting himself. I think you are right about a more expensive striker replacing him - and I also think that person will be a clinical finisher.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Unfortunately, strikers are there to score goals in Gus' style of play. No target man is required. My gripe with Murray was not his goals to shots ratio, but the number of chances he failed to take. The "good points" you mention, could be seen as him just f***ing about instead of getting a shot in, and failing to take responsibility by shooting himself. I think you are right about a more expensive striker replacing him - and I also think that person will be a clinical finisher.

That is what we need

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
How do you know how good Buckley and Hoskins are? Seen them play enough to make a judgement?

No, but I will certainly put my faith in Gus and his team's evaluation of them. A friend who somewhat sadly supports Watford, says that Buckley is truly outstanding when he is on form. It is Gus' job to ensure he has more good games than bad. And, as I have said before, if any winger does not get passed the ball, he cannot do anything.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
We DID NOT have KLL this time last year.
He didn't say 'this exact moment last year' - he wasn't asking if we were stronger or weaker than at this time in last years transfers window, but are we stronger or weaker than last years team.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
He didn't say 'this exact moment last year' - he wasn't asking if we were stronger or weaker than at this time in last years transfers window, but are we stronger or weaker than last years team.
For most of last year we didn't have LuaLua. We were stronger when we did.
So we'll be stronger when we sign him.

marty

May 27, 2011
My brother just got really excited because he saw 'Bradford sign Keith Lulia on two-year contract from Newcastle Knights' out the corner of his eye on Sky Sports News.

The suspense is killing me!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here