Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Move on, move on, nothing to see here. Especially no whizzy winger from Newcastle

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
It does. Thank you. Although, I think Gus said at the time that Hoskins was not a Murray replacement.

“We will sign someone but not a replacement. It will be somebody who is different.”

Very happy with both our signings so far.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'd say we're weaker because I haven't seen enough of Hoskins and Buckley. Who knows where we are until the season starts, lets hope its bloody amazing. Really do feel we need to sign a centre half, full back cover and a decent striker though.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Definitely weaker. The 2 best players from last year replaced by one player whose team was relegated to Div 2 and one who didnt cut in last time in the Championship. Even LL isn't experienced at Championship level - looking good in the 1st Div is totally different.

Look at the Whole squad-what about KISH(?)

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
More likely it was 5 to 7 depending on if we lost Bennett and Murray, expecting no more than 4 signings after LuaLua

I'm expecting 5 more after tomorrow if we do complete the signings of KKL and Woods: we need a centre half, at least one full-back, 2 new strikers and I hope, an experienced player -a wise old head.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
And navarro, and sandaza, and hart, and Battipiedi, and Baz, and Tarrico That's seven we've lost, can include whing and tunnicliffe if you want, but I don't think they were really part of the squad last year.

With Bennett and Murray, that's 9 (11) players we've lost and to replace those we've brought in Buckley, Hoskins, the two youngsters whose names I forgotten who may o may not be development squad players.

I'm not sure those four, or any one of them, is so good they balance out the loss of 9 players. Even throwing LuaLua in (and given people have predicted "he'll sign tomorrow" pretty much every day for the last week I'm taking a wait and see (I fully expect him to sign - one person predicting he'll sign tomorrow has to get it right eventually) attitude, but we can include him in the question) I'm not convinced the 5 of them strengthen the squad enough in all the areas that the other 9 to 11 players that left did.

I'm sure by the time the season starts our squad will be stronger than it was last year, though.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Cover for a more defensive midfielder as well, unless Navarro stays on

Isn't that Woods (if we sign him) will be?

Ankergren/Brezovan
Calderon/?? El Abd/Greer Elphick/Dunk Painter/Mcnulty(?)
Buckley/Kazenga Sparrow/Dicker Bridcutt/Woods Noone/Kazenga
Barnes/Hoskins ??/??

We also have Jamie Smith and Caskey who might step up, I'd hope at least Caskey would get a chance, and we have Navarro if he can prove he's good enough.

In reality we need two strikers, full back cover and possibly a centre half because maybe Dunk is not ready.

Sandaza, Hart Battipiedi and Baz leaving doesn't exactly weaken us, okay in a numbers perspective but they were clearly not going to do anything in the Championship. Navarro still has a chance, if he can come back as good as he was at the end of 2010 then we'll have 2 very good holding midfielders (3 if we sign Woods as rumoured).

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
we will need a couple of experienced centre midfield players able to hold and run with the ball as an alternative to passing

Shoreham Beach Seagull

May 6, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Ankergren
Barnes/Hoskins ??/??

In reality we need two strikers, full back cover and possibly a centre half because maybe Dunk is not ready.

Yeah the whole Lua Lua hype took my mind off this young lad Woods. Agree with the rest of that as well

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Didn't we release Kish?

Yes and the others Kish was a big part in Bridcutts development and did better imo than Sparrow who perhaps has more to come.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Also, I'd like us to sign a double-hard bastard in midfield, like Chaplow or someone really niggly to break up play. Crofts would have been perfect as he could score and harass, proper box to box midfielder, we don't really have anyone like that at the moment.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009

Ankergren/Brezovan
Barnes/Hoskins ??/??

We also have Jamie Smith and Caskey who might step up, I'd hope at least Caskey would get a chance, and we have Navarro if he can prove he's good enough.

Sandaza, Hart Battipiedi and Baz leaving doesn't exactly weaken us, okay in a numbers perspective but they were clearly not going to do anything in the Championship. Navarro still has a chance, if he can come back as good as he was at the end of 2010 then we'll have 2 very good holding midfielders (3 if we sign Woods as rumoured).

What about the two development squad chaps we've signed (Rogers and Sampoyo)? Might they step up?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
5 mins to go- if he has not signed by 5 past midnight i'm off to bed.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Agreed, why would we pay more than 300k for this load of shit:

I mean, it's not like he's the most exciting player we've had at the Albion since Zamora or anything....oh, wait. :D
Where did I say he was shit dickhead?

No doubt he's one of the most exciting players we've had here for a while.

The reason I say 300k, is that he has just spent best part of a season out injured, he's not had a run in the premiership, and he is out of contract in 12 months time, and I can't see a tribunal setting a fee much higher than that, based on his premiership experience and contract.

So I reackon 300k, 500k at a push with loads of sell ons and clauses is about right.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Where did I say he was shit dickhead?

No doubt he's one of the most exciting players we've had here for a while.

The reason I say 300k, is that he has just spent best part of a season out injured, he's not had a run in the premiership, and he is out of contract in 12 months time, and I can't see a tribunal setting a fee much higher than that, based on his premiership experience and contract.

So I reackon 300k, 500k at a push with loads of sell ons and clauses is about right.

What makes you the authority? I'm sure TB would rather pay £300,000 but Newcastle wont sell for that price. It wont go to a tribunal because Newcastle will just say no. £1.25m for the most exciting player I've seen in the stripes in 34 years seems like a bargain to me.

How much would you say was right for Hoskins/Buckley?

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
So we have the following:

Ankergren

Calderon Greer El Abd Painter
Lua Lua (TBC) Bridcutt Buckley Noone
Barnes Hoskins

Bench warming:

GK: Brezovan Poke
DF: Elphick Dunk Cook Sampayo
MF: Navarro Sparrow Dicker Smith Caskey Kasim Rodgers Woods(TBC)
FW: Agdestein

And apparently we haven't finished in the transfer market.

f*** my old boots. I am sooooo looking forward to the new season. Tippy Tappy football, "ole" every time we touch the ball and thanks to Tony Bloom a brand spanking new stadium to showcase what Gus and his crew are really capable of.

Having reflected on life after a bottle of wine, thank f*** I've always been a Brighton supporter my entire life. This season in the Championship is going to be one hell of ride.

Cheers.

(a slighty inebriated Toronto Seagull) :D:D:D

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
What makes you the authority? I'm sure TB would rather pay £300,000 but Newcastle wont sell for that price. It wont go to a tribunal because Newcastle will just say no. £1.25m for the most exciting player I've seen in the stripes in 34 years seems like a bargain to me.

How much would you say was right for Hoskins/Buckley?
NOthing makes me the authority, I didn't realise I had to run everything by you first before posting an opinion!

Poyet has said we have to spend wisely, and I dont think £1.5million that is being quoted (where has this come from by the way) is wise. I know it wont go to tribual now, he's under contract, but it will at the end of the coming season. And where id you get the 1.25 million figure from.

Sure for a fully firing Lua Lua £1.5m would be a decent price, but for a 20yo who has not played a full season yet, and has been out for 9 months or so injured, I think its a huge gameble to pay sort of money for him. There's no doubt he's signing, and we'll have to wait and see what sort of a deal the club have done for him.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
NOthing makes me the authority, I didn't realise I had to run everything by you first before posting an opinion!

Poyet has said we have to spend wisely, and I dont think £1.5million that is being quoted (where has this come from by the way) is wise. I know it wont go to tribual now, he's under contract, but it will at the end of the coming season. And where id you get the 1.25 million figure from.

Sure for a fully firing Lua Lua £1.5m would be a decent price, but for a 20yo who has not played a full season yet, and has been out for 9 months or so injured, I think its a huge gameble to pay sort of money for him. There's no doubt he's signing, and we'll have to wait and see what sort of a deal the club have done for him.

Hate to say it but i tend to agree with you.

Saying that though,your figure of 300k is pathetic.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
£1.5 million does seem a lot but I think that his signing will pay dividends, given his age I think although it's a little bit of a gamble it's well worth taking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here