Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mourinho - Tell the FA to come and get me

all respect he was being interviewed and took the opportunity to say "speak to me"

I imagine his agents have already put out feelers and had a few drinks etc with the FA

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Firstly, lets hope it is accurate and not the Suns spin on things. Mourinho may have simply said I simply haven't been asked yet, so how can I reject something that hasn't been offered, with the Sun spinning "come and get me".

However, saying all of that, Barwick should be on the phone right now offering the job.

I think if Mourinho took the job, he would build a team. It may not have all the so called superstars in it, but the sum of its parts would be so much greater.

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Jose was just in the states last weekend at the MLS Cup. It wouldn't shock me if the US mens national team took a stab at him. Also wouldn't shock me if he was over just checking out NY and LA as places to coach. I'd suspect after checking them out he would flee back to Europe and say wtf was I thinking.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Barwick would have a job on his hands if Jose were manager, infact I'd love to see Jose get the job and make it so difficult for Barwick that Barwick would step down and his back office cronies would follow - RESULT!!

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
This is hilarious. He clearly wants the FA to approach him just so he can say NO.

I really think there's ZERO chance of him wanting this job!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
As far as I understand it you dont apply for national team jobs (whoever you are) but that the national FA approaches you, hence why he hasnt "applied" as such.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
As far as I understand it you dont apply for national team jobs (whoever you are) but that the national FA approaches you, hence why he hasnt "applied" as such.

Correct - I was sooo flattered yesterday when they came knocking...it truly is a wonderful thing to be asked, I was well impressed by the perks of the job (nappies for one, it seems all the top England players are still in them) but sadly I had to decline, it seems their nursery is full at the moment with junior prima donnas...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The FA's bungling of the Scolari situation has made them paranoid about being seen to appoint anyone other than their first choice.

Let's be honest, it's not as if the McLaren sacking was a surprise. The FA committee have had months to line up a shortlist of candidates. You'd expect Barwick and Brooking to have put their heads together and agreed that if McLaren went the shortlist would be Mourinho, O'Neill, Cappello, Hiddink and Houllier. Benitez can now be added to that list.

After that you simply swing into action. You announce there is a shortlist and anyone on that list would be seen as a great appointment, and you go after them in descending order. Sure, it is perfectly feasible Mourinho would knock it back simply for the kick, but this wouldn't be disastrous because there are other names on the shortlist that we like just as much etc etc.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
thinking on, is jose just after a 'considered for the england job' entry, on his cv?

:ascarf:

thinking on, does he actually need to do that?

I suppose it could be a cynical way to keep his name in the press and push up his negotiating power when a big league club offer comes his way

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
I may be missing something here, but if you're unemployed and want the job shouldn't you actually APPLY, rather than expect the employer to come looking for you?

Somewhat arrogant to be going about it the way Mourinho appears to be doing..no change there then.

you don't apply for the England job you get invited by the FA to apply

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here