Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] MOTD

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Martin oh dear...,no way was that a penalty for Everton...perhaps he could mention the petulant Richarlison laying flat out on the turf for god knows how long trying to con everyone

Precisely. Why does he go down holding his head and stay there for what, a minute? Maybe, just maybe he might get penalties like that if the officials hadn't seen it all before and therefore assume he's cheating, again.

If they really wanted to make it all about the decisions, perhaps they could have questioned why both challenges on Maupay - Sidibe's forearm smash to the head and Holgate's full-blooded, late lunge - were not considered excessive force and punished with red cards.

I don't mind a yellow in those situations, personally, but maybe potentially dangerous challenges merit a bit more consideration than whether a little tug on someone's shirt justifies belly-flopping to the ground and acting like they've been hit with a crowbar.

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Call me cynical, but I think the sole reason that game was first was to lay into VAR. Jenas even said it wasn't a great game, there was no mention of any Albion player other than Trossard (or Tossard, as the commentator called him!).

The 'analysis' of the actual game was shite.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Good to hear that Webster's an England defender too. Now Dunk must really be fuming.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Pickford error, worrying VAR decision, own goal.
Pickford error, yes. Was a good strike though.

I'm not worried about the VAR decision. I think it was the right decision. Of course there are going to be problems trying to be consistent, as fouls like that vary from clear to questionable, but I don't see how that wasn't a foul. You're not supposed to step on your opponents foot.

Own goal - There were two own goals in the game. Which was the luckiest? Everton's was. It just came off Webster at the perfect angle to beat Ryan without going wide. Whereas Digne had to hit Trossard's cross, or it was a simple tap in for Murray. The cross was perfect. From that position (the moment after it left Trossard's foot) I'd guess at least 5 times out of 10 it would result in a goal. At least 8 times out of 10 that corner from Everton wouldn't end in a goal.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Pickford error, yes. Was a good strike though.

I'm not worried about the VAR decision. I think it was the right decision. Of course there are going to be problems trying to be consistent, as fouls like that vary from clear to questionable, but I don't see how that wasn't a foul. You're not supposed to step on your opponents foot.

Own goal - There were two own goals in the game. Which was the luckiest? Everton's was. It just came off Webster at the perfect angle to beat Ryan without going wide. Whereas Digne had to hit Trossard's cross, or it was a simple tap in for Murray. The cross was perfect. From that position (the moment after it left Trossard's foot) I'd guess at least 5 times out of 10 it would result in a goal. At least 8 times out of 10 that corner from Everton wouldn't end in a goal.

Had me confused there for a moment Triggaar - and it would make a good pedants discussion. By 'Everton's own goal' I initially thought you meant the own goal scored by an Everton player! Could be taken either way I suppose?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Precisely. Why does he go down holding his head and stay there for what, a minute? Maybe, just maybe he might get penalties like that if the officials hadn't seen it all before and therefore assume he's cheating, again.

If they really wanted to make it all about the decisions, perhaps they could have questioned why both challenges on Maupay - Sidibe's forearm smash to the head and Holgate's full-blooded, late lunge - were not considered excessive force and punished with red cards.

I don't mind a yellow in those situations, personally, but maybe potentially dangerous challenges merit a bit more consideration than whether a little tug on someone's shirt justifies belly-flopping to the ground and acting like they've been hit with a crowbar.

Likewise Martin might get a bit more respect if he actually uses his eyesight, brain and knowledge of players in passing comment

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Had me confused there for a moment Triggaar - and it would make a good pedants discussion. By 'Everton's own goal' I initially thought you meant the own goal scored by an Everton player! Could be taken either way I suppose?
Yeah I've no idea :lol:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Whereas Digne had to hit Trossard's cross, or it was a simple tap in for Murray.

That’s certainly what Digne would have been thinking but on viewing the replay of that goal, there was too much pace on the cross and too little pace in Glenn’s legs to tap in.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That’s certainly what Digne would have been thinking but on viewing the replay of that goal, there was too much pace on the cross and too little pace in Glenn’s legs to tap in.

You might be right. Murray had checked his run and seemed to be peeling away to the far post in anticipation of an aerial cross coming over for him to nod in.

Screenshot 2019-10-27 at 09.52.50.png

Screenshot 2019-10-27 at 09.53.08.png

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Mmm. I've just watched it half a dozen times and can't be sure either way. Murray is on the move again quick enough, I just can't tell how quickly the ball would have got to the back post. Watching it and imagining there are no defenders, it looks like Murray will arrive and put it in, but then I guess it could be one of those where he slides for the ball and just misses it. Oh well.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Yes, it was offside.

The highlights shown in the concourses afterwards proved it, same extended highlights now on the website. I was right in line as well and thought the decision was correct at the time.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
From a neutral perspective, which is how it should be, that's hard to argue against.

Pickford error, worrying VAR decision, own goal.

Webster error x2, we gifted them those goals - totally avoidable.

Just about every goal ever scored is as a result of a mistake somewhere, it's poor punditry especially from a bloke who is evidently hacked off we binned Hughton.

The Digne one is my favourite, any attempted clearence there with a ball travelling at that pace is going to be a huge risk. A neutral would not know much about the game if he/she thinks there was an easy choice for him a yard from goal with 2 of our players lurking behind ready to tap it in.

Obviously he should have just cleared it into the stands right? Easy. Just as Webster should have been first to that corner.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
I did enjoy the win today. But come on that penalty would have not been given in the previous 100 years of professional football.

Before VAR

Ah! But before VAR those “goals” against Southampton and West Ham would have counted and we would probably have been another 5 points better off. Swings and roundabouts n’all that. :drink:

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
This thread, to fans of other clubs looking in, makes us look like a bunch of needy kids or the type of people that write in to points of view every week.
Yesterday was a strange game but we won with some deserved luck but after a hard fought battle because we didn't actually play too well in poor conditions.
Much more to the point of this thread is Shaun Dyche, who could only see the most important moment of his match was the Chelsea player that dived ( but was pushed in the back, albeit softly)

Absolutely. The neediness on these MOTD threads is a little embarrassing. Albion weren’t great yesterday, and got a bit lucky, so what’s the disinterested pundit supposed to say? The VAR decision was clearly the talking point and of most interest to the neutral. We all know, of course, that we got some long awaited and long deserved smiles from the gods of Karma yesterday and should be happy with that. It was only three weeks ago that we demolished Spurs and I seem to remember that the MOTD coverage was extremely positive and primarily focused on Albion’s fantastic performance. It was a MOTD love in that weekend.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I thought the coverage and comments were OK, certainly not worth throwing our arms in the air and shouting about. The only issue I had was that whilst I kind of understand the need to compare the penalty incidents in the context of "consistency" it would have been better, for "consistency", to compare the grappling from Montoya/Richarlison with other similar incidents at free-kicks and corners. If that incident was pretty similar to many others then arguably the referees/VAR have been consistent..

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You wouldnt think that listening to them either Jenas or Keown had played football at all yet alone at the top level as one of them said in the Chelsea game a definite push but NOT a penalty when Hudson-Odio was booked. Do they not know a push is a penalty at any level.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
The highlights shown in the concourses afterwards proved it, same extended highlights now on the website. I was right in line as well and thought the decision was correct at the time.
I was in line and thought Gross was miles offside at the time. Saw it on sky later and was surprised how close it actually was though

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Absolutely. The neediness on these MOTD threads is a little embarrassing. Albion weren’t great yesterday, and got a bit lucky, so what’s the disinterested pundit supposed to say? The VAR decision was clearly the talking point and of most interest to the neutral. We all know, of course, that we got some long awaited and long deserved smiles from the gods of Karma yesterday and should be happy with that. It was only three weeks ago that we demolished Spurs and I seem to remember that the MOTD coverage was extremely positive and primarily focused on Albion’s fantastic performance. It was a MOTD love in that weekend.

No neediness from me, I just thing the ongoing analysis of VAR and the technology behind the actual game of football is pretty tedious. It's all a bit Talkshite when they know they have got to fill the airtime with something so "let's talk about how many decisions are going the wrong way because of this new technology has come in – something that that we all wanted. And, while I'm at it, the game's not the same as it was when I was playing'.

As I said, I think the actual analysis of the game was poor and it was an odd choice of game to kick off the show with, especially seeing as the first thing that came out of Jenas' mouth was that it wasn't the best game based on the performance from both sides. That's not an blue and white-tinted view, I'd probably be the same if it had happened in a game between any other two teams.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here