Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MoTD, Albion v Villa 25/03/72

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
We need to lift the gloom folks....as promised, back to the glory days of 1971/72.

It was a four horse race for the 2 promotion spots. Villa were top, still a big side after double relegations then one full season in the 3rd. They were pulling in big crowds.

Then there was the star studded Bournemouth under john bond and with mcDougal & Boyer up front. They were aiming for back to back promotions as were Notts County who had Tony Hateley, Willie Carlin and dave Needham in their team.

Hanging in there were Albion but 2 defeats in a week, to lowly opposition, had many doubting our outside chance. And now we faced Villa at the Goldstone infront of the MoTD cameras.

Albion manager Pat Saward was a genius. There was little team news before the game and our mood was down, even the crowd at the all ticket game didn't reach the expected 30,000, but close.

But things were different. Albion took the field with a modified kit (teams didn't chop & change like they do now) and ditched the white shorts 7 socks for blue. the blue shorts were like atheletes used to wear, very mini with white piping and sort of split up the sids, pretty radical & flair.

But that was just cosmetic because Saward, having kept very much the same team all season, dropped stalwarts, Stuart Henderson & John Napier, moving right winger Bert Murray to right back and bring Ian 'Reggie' Goodwin to the centre of defence.

The game was tense, the crowd rocking. Albion won 2-1 with cracking goal from Willie Irvine which came 2nd in the Goal of the Season. hopefully somebody will post a link. Kit Napier scored the other.

After the game, Villa were still top. Bournemouth were in 2nd, 3 pts ahead of Albion who had 2 games in hand. Notts co were 2 points behind albion but with a game in hand. it was 2 points for a wine. the strain was beginning to show!

:ascarf:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sure Goodwin was 'Wedgie', not Reggie, because of the way he very carefully chipped the ball forward (like the golf shot) with the inside of his foot, rather than hoofing it. Have seen a clip (not labelled, but I recognised it) of Willie Irvine's goal on here somewhere, but can't rememeber the link. Brilliant assist by John Templeman, with a bit of help from Brian Bromley......
Oh happy days - hitch-hiking down from Liverpool to the Goldstone and hitching back overnight.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Just a fantastic afternoon in a packed North Stand playing a top Club on a sunny afternoon. And we scored that goal. And the cameras were there. We just never got televised in those days.

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
Willie Irvine's goal could be found on YouTube- but no longer. This may be because it features in Dick Knight's 100 goals DVD, suggesting the club has bought BBC footage.

Great day!! The start of a most dramatic 12 match run-in. Look forward to more reminiscences.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Did Villa have Andy Blockhead playing that day. Big bruising centre forwrd if I remember correctly and follicly challenged as the north stand would NOT have sung.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
We need to lift the gloom folks....as promised, back to the glory days of 1971/72.

It was a four horse race for the 2 promotion spots. Villa were top, still a big side after double relegations then one full season in the 3rd. They were pulling in big crowds.

Then there was the star studded Bournemouth under john bond and with mcDougal & Boyer up front. They were aiming for back to back promotions as were Notts County who had Tony Hateley, Willie Carlin and dave Needham in their team.

Hanging in there were Albion but 2 defeats in a week, to lowly opposition, had many doubting our outside chance. And now we faced Villa at the Goldstone infront of the MoTD cameras..
Albion manager Pat Saward was a genius. There was little team news before the game and our mood was down, even the crowd at the all ticket game didn't reach the expected 30,000, but close.

But things were different. Albion took the field with a modified kit (teams didn't chop & change like they do now) and ditched the white shorts 7 socks for blue. the blue shorts were like atheletes used to wear, very mini with white piping and sort of split up the sids, pretty radical & flair.

But that was just cosmetic because Saward, having kept very much the same team all season, dropped stalwarts, Stuart Henderson & John Napier, moving right winger Bert Murray to right back and bring Ian 'Reggie' Goodwin to the centre of defence.

The game was tense, the crowd rocking. Albion won 2-1 with cracking goal from Willie Irvine which came 2nd in the Goal of the Season. hopefully somebody will post a link. Kit Napier scored the other.

After the game, Villa were still top. Bournemouth were in 2nd, 3 pts ahead of Albion who had 2 games in hand. Notts co were 2 points behind albion but with a game in hand. it was 2 points for a wine. the strain was beginning to show!

Also remember that just before that game our legendary groundsman and ex-player, Frankie Howard, actually painted some of the worn parts of the Goldstone pitch green so that it looked good on MOTD. Willie Irvines goal was a stunner.

Oct 2, 2008
Remember the game well Freddie. My first season watching the Albion. Willie Irvines goal still sticke in the memory. Villa had players like Andy Lochead, Ian "Chico" Hamilton, Geoff Vowden and Jim Cumbes. Not sure if a very young Brian Little might have played as well. By the way , you are quite right - Ian Goodwin was nicknmed "Reggie".

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
It was my 1st attempt at being a ticket tout, my Mum q'd up a few times and I was selling tickets at school. I did have a stub until fairly recently, indeed, may still have it.

Football was real cheap back then.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
37 years ago today i watched the match from the Chicken Run (East Terrace) and was allowed to stay up late to watch MOTD, no video recorders in those days!

Derbyshire Seagull

Oct 21, 2005
My first game - great memories. I was in the Chicken Run as well.

Bit scary to think it was 37 years ago !!!!

Last edited:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
What an interesting thread! I had no idea about the changes to the ground and kit in preparation for the first Match of the Day appearance at the Goldstone. That Willie Irvine goal was a cracker. Hopefully, Flight of the Seagull Part II (due out this summer will have all the goals of the game in it)

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Football was real .......... back then.
Simple as that.

That was a great season, my third at the Goldstone and the first promotion I saw. Brilliant watching Albion challenging at the top of the table, featuring on MOTD and the big crowds that we took for granted in those days.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Simple as that.

That was a great season, my third at the Goldstone and the first promotion I saw. Brilliant watching Albion challenging at the top of the table, featuring on MOTD and the big crowds that we took for granted in those days.

Featuring on MotD, and it was a third division game :ohmy:

andybaha

Jan 3, 2007
Piddinghoe
This was my first ever game. Not really an Albion fan up until then. Typical kid, supported the team that was having the most success at the time. Hence I was an Everton fan (they had won the First Div championship a couple of seasons before).

Once I saw this match I was totally smitten. And then to be able to watch it on MOTD was something else. A couple of things stick in my mind, firstly Willie Irvine's goal and Andy Lockhead(sp?) playing for Villa as I had never seen a bald footballer before.

I thought the game was a sell out, but I could be wrong. I thought I bunked off school to get a ticket but they had all gone. Then on the morning of the match my mates Dad said he had a spare ticket. Perhaps I'm thinking of another match.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
By the way , you are quite right - Ian Goodwin was nicknmed "Reggie".

In the West Stand, where I always stood, he was definitely "Wedgie" - unless, of course, everyone around me had a speech impediment. This was apt because of the way he cleared the ball out of defence - not a hoof upfield, nor along the ground; he sort of chipped it (like a golfer playing with a wedgie) with the inside of his right foot, very carefully and very deliberately - and usually to a player in the blue and white stripes (one of the reasons why he was quite good).
If anyone can come up with a convincing argument that he was called "Reggie" rather than "Wedgie" - with a good reason why - I'll be interested to hear it.

Oct 2, 2008
In the West Stand, where I always stood, he was definitely "Wedgie" - unless, of course, everyone around me had a speech impediment. This was apt because of the way he cleared the ball out of defence - not a hoof upfield, nor along the ground; he sort of chipped it (like a golfer playing with a wedgie) with the inside of his right foot, very carefully and very deliberately - and usually to a player in the blue and white stripes (one of the reasons why he was quite good).
If anyone can come up with a convincing argument that he was called "Reggie" rather than "Wedgie" - with a good reason why - I'll be interested to hear it.

I am fairly sure it was Reggie but I have no idea why. Freddie Goodwin who posted this thread appears to be under the same impression. Is there anyone out there who can clarify?.

Stainsey

Mar 25, 2009
There was a very brief clip of the goal on a BBC news item showing start of work at Falmer. The goal is shown at around 2min 22 secs. Sadly it does not show the build up to the goal, which had John Templeman (a la The White Pele) running with the ball diagonally from inside our half before an interchange of passes with Wilie Irvine. It was my 1st season, and I still have my ticket for the game which cost a princely 15p (Juvenile price).

BBC NEWS | England | Work kicks off at Falmer

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here