Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MoTD, Albion v Villa 25/03/72

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I am fairly sure it was Reggie but I have no idea why. Freddie Goodwin who posted this thread appears to be under the same impression. Is there anyone out there who can clarify?.

That's just how it was, known more as Reg than ian. I've just had a look in the players' book and not mentioned there. found out that he only played 60 games and dodgy knees did for him.

The book has him at 5'11" and 12 St. he certainly seemed a big lad. his 1st few games were in midfield and i didn't rate him but, for that Villa game, he came out of the cold to replace captain John napier at CH and was great.

I would compare him to Adam Virgo in today's squad.

Interesting that it was the 1st match for a few of you. it was expected to sell out but didn't hence tickets floating around on the day.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Anybody else get the Football Special bus from the bottom of Hollingdean Road, just past the Vogue Cinema? The old Corporation double deckers could get under the railway arch, and go round the houses to finish up outside The North Stand @ TGG :thumbsup:

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I am fairly sure it was Reggie but I have no idea why. Freddie Goodwin who posted this thread appears to be under the same impression. Is there anyone out there who can clarify?.

I hope there is, RS. I'm sticking to my 'Wedgie' guns until someone comes up with a convincing reason otherwise - the reason why he might have been nicknamed 'Wedgie' is an obvious one, and there doesn't yet appear to be any reason for 'Reggie'. I wonder if there are links to contemporary Argus reports? I'm sure that if one of the players back then was doing a ghosted column, all would be revealed somewhere.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Anybody else get the Football Special bus from the bottom of Hollingdean Road, just past the Vogue Cinema? The old Corporation double deckers could get under the railway arch, and go round the houses to finish up outside The North Stand @ TGG :thumbsup:

There used to be 2 or 3 footie buses that ran through Coldean, up over the hill, past Withers & on to the Goldstone. I think some of those buses may have come from lewes & beyond.

There was a time when i'd get the footie bus home, have a bite to eat then get the bus special bus out to the dogs.

There were also special buses to Arlington for the speedway, but I never went for that.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
There was a very brief clip of the goal on a BBC news item showing start of work at Falmer. The goal is shown at around 2min 22 secs. Sadly it does not show the build up to the goal, which had John Templeman (a la The White Pele) running with the ball diagonally from inside our half before an interchange of passes with Wilie Irvine. It was my 1st season, and I still have my ticket for the game which cost a princely 15p (Juvenile price).

BBC NEWS | England | Work kicks off at Falmer

15p, yes I remember those prices. I used to be given 35p from my mum (train cost 13p from Worthing) but we could normally bunk that and get extra grub.
There was never a ticket man at Aldrington.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sure Goodwin was 'Wedgie', not Reggie...

I don't remember him being called Reggie or Wedgie, the only name that I ever heard him called was "Tank", one of many Albion players to bear that monicker.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
How do I post a link to a youtube video? There's nothing in the HELP.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Did'nt get to the match I was living and working in Shrewsbury then but saw it on the MOTD, I went to the Villa for the away match which I think was 0-0.
37 years god no wonder my memory plays tricks

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7yrZUds3_A[/yt]

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Great memories. I was 11 and me and my mate Jim, even though we were established North Standers even at that age, stood right next to the dug-outs so that we could see ourselves on telly and we did which was so exciting.
Had already been watching the Albion 6 years then.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Did'nt get to the match I was living and working in Shrewsbury then but saw it on the MOTD, I went to the Villa for the away match which I think was 0-0.
37 years god no wonder my memory plays tricks
Your memory is indeed playing tricks on you, Glasfryn.
We lost the away match 2-0 that season.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Just looked in the 72/73 Rothmans and the crowds for this little run were up in the high 20 thousands, until early May when we had our third highest gate ever

Just mathematically, probably 1/8 of B+H were at the last game of the season :albion2:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
[yt]j7yrZUds3_A[/yt]

Here we go. Many thanks to Chappers, Easy 10 and goldstone_rapper for explaining how to do it!

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
Morning all... only just picked up on this thread.
1) To me and my mates at that time, Ian Goodwin was always " Reggie "...Don't know why but would guess it came with him from his previous club ( Coventry ? )
2) Willie Irvine's goal took my breath away ( standing on the East Terrace ) and I have to say it is one of my all time favourites. I remember it being in the running for goal of the season ( a previous post mentioned it finishing second ) and the late, great Jock Stein voted it top. He was outvoted on the panel and if I remember rightly, was pretty angry about it. Can't remember what beat it but Stein was not slow making his feelings known to the media.
3) And yes it was true about Frankie painting the bare spots with green paint...to make his beloved Goldstone pitch look in pristine condition for the MOD cameras.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
What a great clip ... and a great goal. Some run by Templeman ... he was a very good player.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Remember the game and goal very well.John Templeman was a good player and a nice bloke.Used to see him in Bognor sometimes;always had time for a chat.
Only remember Ian Goodwin as Tank...at one match there was a large banner/flag carried by someone saying 'GOODWIN FOR ENGLAND'.!!!Full of effort,bit wayward on the skills sometimes!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here