Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most shocking events in your lifetime?

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
911, 7/7 bombings, Hyde Park, Canary Wharf Bombing ( i was living 1/4 mile from there when it went off !), Dunblane, Hungerford, Jamie Bulger, Hillsborough, Bradford City fire, Heisel Stadium, Several friends dying,
Myself and a Dr having to tell parents that their daughter died beneath the wheels of a bus on Xmas day in Whitechapel in 2001.

Suprised most of us haven't been institutionslised in some way

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
3 things wrt Blair stick in my mind.

Wipping up mass hysteria over dianas death

Calling for hoddle to be sacked for his religous beleifs.

Picking up the oil company consultancy jobs after leaving office.

I was almost physicly sick after I read about the last one mentioned.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
The Beslan School massacre.

To this day I cannot get it into my head that people could target children for political reasons. Truly shocking.

That one has stuck with me too! The terror of those 3 days must have been unbelievable. At least 336 killed including 186 children!

Locally the Grand bombing was right up there for me.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
lots i agree with... but, i think as a war that caused me most angst due to the age i was when it occurred was the bosnian / serbian conflict. i suppose television was showing more coverage than ever before and the genocide was attrocious. equally rwanda......

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
9/11 has to be the most shocking thing to have happened in my lifetime! The whole world changed on that day IMHO!

Some of the other things that have happened much closer to home also had some impact, e.g babes in the wood, the 87 hurricane and The Grand bombing to name a few..

The Boxing day Tsunami sticks in my mind as it was also the day that I lost my ol' nan, bless er.

Dandyman

In London village.
The Yanks committing mass murder in Asia and South America, sponsoring terrorism world-wide and mounting coups against legitimate governments while having their arses royally licked by a succession of British governments.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The fact that human beings have evolved so far but are still able to inflict mass cruelty and suffering on ordinary people, such as,

Josef Stalin,
Pol Pot,
Kim Jong il,
Gaddaffi,
Mugabe, and more currently
Assad .

Crackpot

Jun 4, 2011
Upper North Street
That political power in Britain is overwhelmingly cosmetic and now real decisions are taken in Belgium by people most of us have never heard of.All our political leaders over the last forty years have known that power has been passed overseas but have always denied it.

What started as a coal and steel trading club was sold to us as a Common Market,which by stealth changed to be the European Economic Community before morphing to the European Community then its latest incarnation being the European Union. A gravy train of astonishing proportions,fuelled by theft,corruption,lies and nepotism. An oscenity of colossal proportions which pillages the many for the benefit of the few.

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
Only two people but for me it was when two off duty soldiers 'took a wrong turn' and ventured into a republican funeral cortege in Belfast. You could see the fear in their faces. Shortly after they were brutally murdered..

Only two people but for me it was when two off duty soldiers 'took a wrong turn' and ventured into a republican funeral cortege in Belfast. You could see the fear in their faces. Shortly after they were brutally murdered..

They were not off duty, that is why they were armed. They were driving back from having made a routine tech visit to a detachment in the city. We certainly did not go driving around Belfast for a jolly when off duty. What they were doing in an area that had been delcared "out of bounds" to personel not in full kit and armoured vehicles is something only they would have been able to answer if they were alive today.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
That political power in Britain is overwhelmingly cosmetic and now real decisions are taken in Belgium by people most of us have never heard of.All our political leaders over the last forty years have known that power has been passed overseas but have always denied it.

What started as a coal and steel trading club was sold to us as a Common Market,which by stealth changed to be the European Economic Community before morphing to the European Community then its latest incarnation being the European Union. A gravy train of astonishing proportions,fuelled by theft,corruption,lies and nepotism. An oscenity of colossal proportions which pillages the many for the benefit of the few.

This, indeed, is tragic. The loss of more and more of the sovereign powers of various nations is gathering pace, almost unnoticed. In the past year alone, the Heads of State/Prime Ministers of three European countries have been forced to abdicate because of the increased power of the Euromachine. The Holy Roman Empire lasted from 962 to 1806. Perhaps Germany misses its old empire and would like to rebuild it.

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
For me it was my first ever trip to watch a Scotland international. Scotland v Wales at Ninian Park. Saturday 22 October 1966. My dad had taken me all the way down from Scotland as a treat, and we'd visited some relatives in Middlesex en route. While we were at our relatives, day before the game, the TV filled with black and white images from Aberfan where a a colliery spoil tip had engulfed a school, killing 116 children and 28 adults. Being just a wee boy, though I knew something very bad had happened, I never quite took it all in, never quite understood the enormity of the thing, but I do remember a lot of big men crying at the game and I remember myself and another wee boy being lifted gently over the heads of the crowd and over the wall at the front and put gently down to sit by the touchline with a policeman watching over us for the whole game. Still makes me cry thinking about it even now.

My uncle was a fireman stationed in Methyr Tdfil then and was the second crew to attend and the last to leave, he was 23 at the time.

Sadly he died in August, and it was only at the funeral my dad revealed that he only ever talked about it once. He said he did get regular flashbacks, usually at rugby matches when the ref blew the whistle because everytime a body was found that's what someone would do.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The Leah Betts ecstasy death in November 1995 was quite shocking and affected me when I first started dabbling in drugs - only cannabis at that time.

Brought up in a middle-class family with her mother a nurse and her father a policeman, the message was if it can happen to an intelligent, attractive 18-year-old girl, it can happen to anyone. The media went into meltdown until they discovered it was water intoxication that killed her, not the E, so they kept that quiet but the agony she must have gone through after drinking too much water and her brain swelling up is unthinkable. I've thrown up off dodgy pills before but never felt like I was going to die.

I know it doesn't compare to 9/11 or hundreds of lives lost but that picture taken of her on a life-support machine with no hope of a recovery is very sad.

windowlicker

Aug 22, 2009
Im sure many of you will remember the Estonia ferry disaster in 1994, over 800 dead if i remember correctly. I used to travel frequently on ferries and this incident put me off boat travel forever.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham

This is so so true....Give us back our nation.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here