Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most memorable - Port Vale. (H)

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Usually a game is memorable because it's a great game or a game of massive imnportance. My PV game is neither. It was one of the worse games I've ever seen and it has given me a loathing of PV for over 28 years now.

70/71 was a poor season for Albion. After a near miss on promotion the previos season, manager Goodwin and his backroom staff of George dalton and Willie Bell (also a player) were head hunted by Birmingham City.

Another novice manager came in but Pat Saward did not have the same instant impact of Freddie Goodwin. The exciting Albion just didn't look the same in an all white kit and it started very much as a 'hangover' season. It seemed that Saward didn't get along with some senior players. Alex dawson, who had been pivital, was ignored in a team that just could not score. New young signing Peter O'sullivan, from Manchester United was lightweight & poor. Certainly no signs that he would play 400 odd games and become an Albion legend.

I believe it was a dull October day when PV came to town for a rare visit. They were a club who always knocked around the bottom of Div 4 but had somehow been promoted and were struggling. They came to the Goldstone with the intention of taking back a point. Three points for a win was yet to be brought in but was intended to save football from the likes of PV who kept 10 players back and just wellied every ball high, wide and anywhere as long as it was away from their goal and wasted time. wacking the ball into the stands or out of the ground was a bonus.

Albion were a lightweight side and were in a run of 6 games without a goal. We would have had trouble scoring against St Dunstan's and this game was the ultimate bore draw. I suppose it could have been worse because they did almost win on just about their only attack.

Port vale were relegated and i hoped I'd never see them again. Saward worked hard to build his team and make it one of the most exciting Albion teams ever that won promotion the following season. Exciting and free scoring, now there's a turnaround.

When i started watching football, the likes of crewe, Hartlepool & vale were always at the bottom of the league. i've never got used to them being better than us. I've not seen a good game against Vale. I even went to watch WBA beat them in the playoff final a few years back & had trouble with the vale fans (my brother was supporting West Brom)

The only good thing to come from vale was Brian Horton. When peter taylor the 1st bought him it was just the sort of player every Albion team needs. We've had our fair share of pretty boys who can play a bit but Horton was the steel, grit & organisation and went on to be a true legend. When Horton signed I looked back through my old records and, sure enough, the young horton was a part of that dour PV team on that day at the Goldstone.

To add to my misery on that day, Brighton buses were on strike. At least the 'green' buses were so it took me ages and a long walk to get a 'blue' bus. It took me well over an hour to get to the game, watch that utter crap then the same to journey home.

I'd love us to beat vale...no i'd love us to THRASH vale and to send them down never to return. apart from the obvious, we all have teams we love to hate and vale our mine. don't let me down boy's, i'd hate some vale fan bouncing this on saturday night!

:annoyed:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
My memory of Albion playing PV was a game at the Goldstone in the early 90's, it was the last day of the season and they needed to win to either get promoted or go up as champions, they must have brought a good 4 or 5 thousand. I am pretty sure that they beat us and their fans invaded the pitch, as it was the last day of the season so did ours. Both sets of supporters met on the edge of the penalty box in front of the North Stand, for about 30 seconds it looked like turning really nasty as punches were thrown, but somewhat bizarrely it just stopped...I haven't a clue why or indeed how, it just did, both sets of fans just mingled on the pitch celebrating the end of the season together...instead of having an almighty riot.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I remember that game well, Gully, it was my first season as a fully fledged Brighton fan.

brighton1.jpg

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
i remember that one too - watched it all from the comfort of the sponsors box

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
the game we won one nil when we one div 3 and they called out the bmouth team and we all cheered for about 5 players until we realised it wasnt the brighton team.

:thud:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
My memory of Albion playing PV was a game at the Goldstone in the early 90's, it was the last day of the season and they needed to win to either get promoted or go up as champions, they must have brought a good 4 or 5 thousand. I am pretty sure that they beat us and their fans invaded the pitch, as it was the last day of the season so did ours. Both sets of supporters met on the edge of the penalty box in front of the North Stand, for about 30 seconds it looked like turning really nasty as punches were thrown, but somewhat bizarrely it just stopped...I haven't a clue why or indeed how, it just did, both sets of fans just mingled on the pitch celebrating the end of the season together...instead of having an almighty riot.

Steve Foster made the best tackle ever in the 18yard box and Rust picked up the ball. Philip Don the **** judged it as a back pass. One of the WORST penalty decisions I have EVER EVER seen.

I also remember us losing 2-1 at the Goldstone a few years before that. Chivers scored an absolute peach that day.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester

wot! i thought that was an evening match, about 95, with wilkins scoring a freekick consolation in a 1-3 defeat. the vale fans broke down the wall at the edge of the east terrace.

lyndon

Nov 12, 2006
my very first brighton match may well be the on you are talking about in the very early 90's. lost 3-1 i believe but with ian chapman scoring a beaut! i never have looked back since

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
The game with all the vale fans was the last match of the season and they were promoted, hence them bringing around 5,000 fans down.

When teams bring that many it's somehow prudent not to get in a scrap with them. It's happened the other way round when we won at vale to win promotion.

The game was a Saturday and our goal was a Wilkins special, one of his free kicks.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
The game with all the vale fans was the last match of the season and they were promoted, hence them bringing around 5,000 fans down.

When teams bring that many it's somehow prudent not to get in a scrap with them. It's happened the other way round when we won at vale to win promotion.

The game was a Saturday and our goal was a Wilkins special, one of his free kicks.
Do you mean a WATSON "special"?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Steve Foster made the best tackle ever in the 18yard box and Rust picked up the ball. Philip Don the **** judged it as a back pass. One of the WORST penalty decisions I have EVER EVER seen.

If he gave a penalty for a BACKPASS then I would HAVE to agree.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Watson Special was at Vale Park on the last day of the season, after we'd just waltzed off with the L1 championship. I was behind that goal and was already celebrating before it BULGED the net.

Happy days.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I was there for that one,Vale boss at the time was 'Nobby' :bowdown: Vale players gave us a guard of honour as the Albion team came out :thumbsup: Nice touch,Brian. Then a few seasons later saw Vale lose at home to Hartlepool under lights,in the snow. 6-2. :laugh:

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Usually a game is memorable because it's a great game or a game of massive imnportance. My PV game is neither. It was one of the worse games I've ever seen and it has given me a loathing of PV for over 28 years now.

70/71 was a poor season for Albion. After a near miss on promotion the previos season, manager Goodwin and his backroom staff of George dalton and Willie Bell (also a player) were head hunted by Birmingham City.

Another novice manager came in but Pat Saward did not have the same instant impact of Freddie Goodwin. The exciting Albion just didn't look the same in an all white kit and it started very much as a 'hangover' season. It seemed that Saward didn't get along with some senior players. Alex dawson, who had been pivital, was ignored in a team that just could not score. New young signing Peter O'sullivan, from Manchester United was lightweight & poor. Certainly no signs that he would play 400 odd games and become an Albion legend.

I believe it was a dull October day when PV came to town for a rare visit. They were a club who always knocked around the bottom of Div 4 but had somehow been promoted and were struggling. They came to the Goldstone with the intention of taking back a point. Three points for a win was yet to be brought in but was intended to save football from the likes of PV who kept 10 players back and just wellied every ball high, wide and anywhere as long as it was away from their goal and wasted time. wacking the ball into the stands or out of the ground was a bonus.

Albion were a lightweight side and were in a run of 6 games without a goal. We would have had trouble scoring against St Dunstan's and this game was the ultimate bore draw. I suppose it could have been worse because they did almost win on just about their only attack.

Port vale were relegated and i hoped I'd never see them again. Saward worked hard to build his team and make it one of the most exciting Albion teams ever that won promotion the following season. Exciting and free scoring, now there's a turnaround.

When i started watching football, the likes of crewe, Hartlepool & vale were always at the bottom of the league. i've never got used to them being better than us. I've not seen a good game against Vale. I even went to watch WBA beat them in the playoff final a few years back & had trouble with the vale fans (my brother was supporting West Brom)

The only good thing to come from vale was Brian Horton. When peter taylor the 1st bought him it was just the sort of player every Albion team needs. We've had our fair share of pretty boys who can play a bit but Horton was the steel, grit & organisation and went on to be a true legend. When Horton signed I looked back through my old records and, sure enough, the young horton was a part of that dour PV team on that day at the Goldstone.

To add to my misery on that day, Brighton buses were on strike. At least the 'green' buses were so it took me ages and a long walk to get a 'blue' bus. It took me well over an hour to get to the game, watch that utter crap then the same to journey home.

I'd love us to beat vale...no i'd love us to THRASH vale and to send them down never to return. apart from the obvious, we all have teams we love to hate and vale our mine. don't let me down boy's, i'd hate some vale fan bouncing this on saturday night!

:annoyed:

Another great recounting of the past, FG. Top stuff...always enjoy your 'history posts'.:thumbsup:

Bish Bosh

Aug 10, 2005
Wish it was in the EU
Agree with Freddie Goodwin...there has never once been an occasion when PV have visited Brighton and a good game resulted. FG's mention of 71/2 was interesting because our game with Vale was dire that season too...I remember a Kit Napier mised penalty.

Another oddity was the really exciting 1976/7 'Peter Ward season'. We played Vale with just a few games to go and-your guessed it-the worst game of the season ensued . We won one-nil though a Gerry Fell header just crossing the line I recall.

One problem with Albion v Port Vale in the early 70's was that they were managed by the grim Gordon Lee-anyone remember this exponent of c**p football?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Agree with Freddie Goodwin...there has never once been an occasion when PV have visited Brighton and a good game resulted. FG's mention of 71/2 was interesting because our game with Vale was dire that season too...I remember a Kit Napier mised penalty.

Another oddity was the really exciting 1976/7 'Peter Ward season'. We played Vale with just a few games to go and-your guessed it-the worst game of the season ensued . We won one-nil though a Gerry Fell header just crossing the line I recall.

One problem with Albion v Port Vale in the early 70's was that they were managed by the grim Gordon Lee-anyone remember this exponent of c**p football?

He went on to bore the pants off the Toffees later on didn`t he ?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
wot! i thought that was an evening match, about 95, with wilkins scoring a freekick consolation in a 1-3 defeat. the vale fans broke down the wall at the edge of the east terrace.

It was definitely a Saturday, I remember the game for the fact that I was there with my brother in the North Stand, towards the western end rather than my usual place in the middle. My brother brought a couple of Finnish friends with him, who wanted to see an English game of football, but had been worried about hooliganism.

We assured them that it would be fine and that the bad old days of violence and fighting had been left behind...all went well, apart from the game, until just after the final whistle when it looked like they would be entertained by a full scale riot...fortunately the silliness lasted no more than thirty seconds and they got to witness a pretty standard end of season pitch invasion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here