Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most memorable - Port Vale. (H)

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Thanks for the appreciation on my 'Most memorables. Some are definatly easier than others and there's some exciting tales coming up

Will have to think of something else next season!

D

Deleted User X18H

My memory of Albion playing PV was a game at the Goldstone in the early 90's, it was the last day of the season and they needed to win to either get promoted or go up as champions, they must have brought a good 4 or 5 thousand. I am pretty sure that they beat us and their fans invaded the pitch, as it was the last day of the season so did ours. Both sets of supporters met on the edge of the penalty box in front of the North Stand, for about 30 seconds it looked like turning really nasty as punches were thrown, but somewhat bizarrely it just stopped...I haven't a clue why or indeed how, it just did, both sets of fans just mingled on the pitch celebrating the end of the season together...instead of having an almighty riot.
I remember it was 1994 and throughout the game they sang Port Valeeee to the tune of Go West !!!!

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
My memory of Albion playing PV was a game at the Goldstone in the early 90's, it was the last day of the season and they needed to win to either get promoted or go up as champions, they must have brought a good 4 or 5 thousand. I am pretty sure that they beat us and their fans invaded the pitch, as it was the last day of the season so did ours. Both sets of supporters met on the edge of the penalty box in front of the North Stand, for about 30 seconds it looked like turning really nasty as punches were thrown, but somewhat bizarrely it just stopped...I haven't a clue why or indeed how, it just did, both sets of fans just mingled on the pitch celebrating the end of the season together...instead of having an almighty riot.

This is my most memorable. But I am a bloody terrible loser and there is nothing I hate more than watching the opposition celebrate. I can' do it.

This PV game was one of those. I'm afraid I didn't stay past the final whistle. No mutual appreciation on the pitch for me. What a bastard, considering all the goodwill we have received. Still, there it is.

Some other examples where I fkd off asap while the opposition celebrated were:
Ipswich away. They are champions, we are relegated
Sheffield Wednesday at Withdean. They are safe, we are down.

I bet there are a load more. But my memory is no where near as good at the amazing Freddie Goodwin.

I am NOT looking forward to Swansea at home in a couple of weeks. :(

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Well the PV jinx struck again.

Doesn't give me much hope of laying two more long-standing scores at southend & Luton.

Lady_Vale

Apr 5, 2008
Stoke on Trent
I was there for that one,Vale boss at the time was 'Nobby' :bowdown: Vale players gave us a guard of honour as the Albion team came out :thumbsup: Nice touch,Brian. Then a few seasons later saw Vale lose at home to Hartlepool under lights,in the snow. 6-2. :laugh:

I was unfortunately at that game, although it ended 5-2, think we were down to 9 men

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Have given up on Luton now.

Just had a week's holiday but was lumbered with g'kids all week. I did manage to get away to Southend and that was wife's birthday so just cannot justify the time & money for another away day which will traditionally end in tears.

Although, I am a bit annoyed as the Luton game ties in exactly with my 1st ever away game on 12/04/69...at Luton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here