Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Most important people, concepts and events in English history?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Leaving aside your egregious use of line spacing for spurious effect, surely you realise the British Empire, the colonisation of Africa, the abolition of slavery, the history of the struggle of trade unions in the coal industry from Tonypandy to Orgreave, and the second World War are all momentous parts of UK history, and widely feature in present day history carricula?

I don't know if there ever was a statue of Savile anywhere; if there was it's removal was simply refuse collection and not significant in history. If Swanny is looking to removed statues to highlight momentous parts of British history, he should probably also disregard as totally irrelevant the demise of Al-Fayed's ghastly effigy of Michael Jackson too!

:)

Indeed. In seriousness I do think that England is the finest nation in the world. Part of the reason I decided to stay here. And I am being perfectly serious. :thumbsup:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Thank you all, very useful actually. I've studied my arse off today and will be doing it for tonight and early tomorrow as well. My chances of passing it are slim but it's starting to feel a little bit possible now.

Not disagreeing.

Your location btw, I think it is supposed to be "Pattknull med Haksprut" rather than "Patknull med Haksprut". Unless I'm missing something...

I wish I hadn't GOOGLED that.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Basically, we invaded a shit load of countries, made a shit load of cash, blew the lot fighting the Germans and now the fuzzy-wuzzies are out for revenge.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Some key parts of recent English history

• Rod Hull's roof death
  • Michael Barrymore's My Kind Of Music - particularly "See You When You Get There" - cultural significance thereof
  • David Blaine stuck in a glass box 30 feet in the air by London's Tower Bridge while a man uses a drone to tempt him with a cheeseburger
  • Brian Harvey from East 17 running himself over after eating 4 jacket potatoes
  • Evolution of the Grange Hill theme tune - see: "Chicken Man" (1978–1987, 2008) /// "Chicken Man" (re-recording) (1988–1989) /// "Grange Hill theme" (1990–2007)
  • Olly Murs' Soccer Aid career

Thank you all, very useful actually. I've studied my arse off today and will be doing it for tonight and early tomorrow as well. My chances of passing it are slim but it's starting to feel a little bit possible now.

No worries mate - this is what NSC is great at, bringing knowledge together. :thumbsup:

Hope my humble contrinbution helps.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Can't be arsed to read the whole thread, but someone must of mentioned Colludon?

The last major land battle ever fought on these islands of ours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here