Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Most important people, concepts and events in English history?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If you are studying English then presumably your answer has to be grammatically correct (plenty of advice on here about grammar) rather than historically correct. Perhaps you could prepare an answer along the following lines:

Although the examples given in the question were significant events in the history of England, I think the most important event occurred in 1901 ………

Stick to something you know about.

Buck the NSC trend, you mean? ??? :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Some key parts of recent English history

• Rod Hull's roof death
  • Michael Barrymore's My Kind Of Music - particularly "See You When You Get There" - cultural significance thereof
  • David Blaine stuck in a glass box 30 feet in the air by London's Tower Bridge while a man uses a drone to tempt him with a cheeseburger
  • Brian Harvey from East 17 running himself over after eating 4 jacket potatoes
  • Evolution of the Grange Hill theme tune - see: "Chicken Man" (1978–1987, 2008) /// "Chicken Man" (re-recording) (1988–1989) /// "Grange Hill theme" (1990–2007)
  • Olly Murs' Soccer Aid career

:bowdown: :lolol:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
This is exactly the kind of thread this place has been missing for years.

Some stuff that may or may not be of use and of varying importance.

Lindisfarne. 1970's pop group https://www.lindisfarne.co.uk/

The Magna Carta. 1970's pop group https://magnacarta-music.com/our-story/

The War of the Roses. Obscure LP by even obscurer Norwegian band https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wars_of_the_Roses_(album)

Agincourt. 1960's pop group https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agincourt_(band)

The 100 years war. Obscure LP by eve more obscure heavy metal thrash band https://hundredyearswarkc.bandcamp.com/album/skin-peeler

The East India Company. Obscure Indian band from 2007 https://www.facebook.com/EICfanPG/

I have no idea if any of this will be remotely useful. Good luck!
Corrected for you

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Suffragettes are a post modern rock band from the 70's, and were quite influential on HWT musical choices :thumbsup:

You're just being silly now ???

According to Wikipedia, there was only one 70s postmodern rock band. Talking Heads. I saw them in the 70s and they were crap. I saw them again in the 80s and they were great.

But this kind of label is simply ludicrous. The term 'post modern' is contradictory and pretentious. If modern means contemporary then to be postmodern you'd need access to a working Tardis. It's like saying you listen to bands that don't even exist yet. Good as a joke, but not as a genre.

Can you imagine Paul Weller singing 'this is the post-modern world'?

:wink:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Quite the opposite. The history of common folk was always taught in a peripheral way. Why should a child know the names of kings and queens and nothing of the struggles of the ever day folk that made up most of the population ?

That's the problem. We knew who designed a great building but nothing of the struggles of the labourers who built it. Perverse.

History is that of the masses, not the ones who could hold the quilt.

history it not exclusive of one narrow theme, its about people and also about the leaders and changes. a list missing say Tudors, glorious revolution, industrial revolution overlooks a lot that defines the nation.

AmexRuislip

Retired Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
You're just being silly now ???

According to Wikipedia, there was only one 70s postmodern rock band. Talking Heads. I saw them in the 70s and they were crap. I saw them again in the 80s and they were great.

But this kind of label is simply ludicrous. The term 'post modern' is contradictory and pretentious. If modern means contemporary then to be postmodern you'd need access to a working Tardis. It's like saying you listen to bands that don't even exist yet. Good as a joke, but not as a genre.

Can you imagine Paul Weller singing 'this is the post-modern world'?

:wink:

I feel I've just been given detention by my music teacher
:kiss::lolol:

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
https://www.archaeology.org/issues/109-1311/features/1421-viking-england-st-brices-day

The C11 massacre of all Danish settlers and various other Scandinavians who could be confused with them.

Considered by some academics to be caused by massive jealousy on the part of our menfolk at all the action the Danes were getting from the native women, helped but their funny foreign habits of washing themselves occasionally and having clean clothes.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
history it not exclusive of one narrow theme, its about people and also about the leaders and changes. a list missing say Tudors, glorious revolution, industrial revolution overlooks a lot that defines the nation.

Quite, but that narrow theme is broad as it includes the stories of most of the population.

History is a subject that gets my back up. I feel I was cheated in the important years of my early life. The way it was taught enforced the concept of a worthy great and good who marshaled the population.The poor seen in a pitiful or condescending way.

It was as if everything we had was due to the benevolent nature of our rulers. It was, in fact due to the withered bodies of those before us. It enforced the 'them and us' rather than eroded it.

Learning about the follies of kingdoms doesn't make me proud to be English. It's hearing about the struggles for better conditions, justice and even distribution by many who didn't live to see it.

The allies winning both world wars is neither here nor there to me. It is the changes it brought about that makes me proud of those who fought. Had it not been for ordinary soldiers we wouldn't have had pensions, the NHS, all sorts of welfare. You try telling solders to risk their lives and come home to the same place as before. It wasn't Churchill who gave us the NHS, it was the unknown soldier. Even after the first war poverty was seen as an almost criminal state. That soon stopped as they all came home.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Its a shite piece of the course :shrug:

I doubt anyone studying to become a nurse will be supposed to sit around and read about what nurses did a 1000 years ago.

If it's English and Grammar, rather than English History - can't you just give them a link to NSC and tell them to search your posts? Apart from a few minor things (see highlighted - no need for the 'a'), your basic use of our language puts many of us natives to shame.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
FFS, what are the mods doing? I thought starting threads about other users was a no-no. I get it's positive, but I don't like people starting threads about me.

:jester:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Thank you all, very useful actually. I've studied my arse off today and will be doing it for tonight and early tomorrow as well. My chances of passing it are slim but it's starting to feel a little bit possible now.

As an academic, I take the view that anyone who uses Wikipedia as their main sauce is a lazy timewaster.

Not disagreeing.

Your location btw, I think it is supposed to be "Pattknull med Haksprut" rather than "Patknull med Haksprut". Unless I'm missing something...

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Thank you all, very useful actually. I've studied my arse off today and will be doing it for tonight and early tomorrow as well. My chances of passing it are slim but it's starting to feel a little bit possible now.

Not disagreeing.

Your location btw, I think it is supposed to be "Pattknull med Haksprut" rather than "Patknull med Haksprut". Unless I'm missing something...

Thank you, will update!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
For a quick short-cut, just check up the people whose statues have been tugged down lately ..................

Every major city had it's benevolent slave owner. We salute them all.

Maybe....

Maybe not.

But you can't turn back the clock.

Jimmy Savile was a great DJ, and that should be the ruddy end of it. All a long time ago.

:facepalm:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Swanny, if you’ve time, don’t ignore the Middle Ages and early Roman and Saxon England. I see that many posters have missed these important historical moments.

I’d concentrate on the Christ himself’s visit to our hallowed Isles (read the lyrics of Jerusalem, it’ll give you the general gist).

Then go on to our best King ever, King Arthur and his round table, knights and Merlin.

Then you’re on to Robin Hood and his Merry Men. You’ll discover the beautiful Maid Marion and the funny story of ‘Little John’ (clue - he didn’t look quite like you’d expect!)

Finally, read up Will-o'-the-wisp, he might light up your exam, who knows?

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Every major city had it's benevolent slave owner. We salute them all.
Maybe....
Maybe not.
But you can't turn back the clock.
Jimmy Savile was a great DJ, and that should be the ruddy end of it. All a long time ago.
Leaving aside your egregious use of line spacing for spurious effect, surely you realise the British Empire, the colonisation of Africa, the abolition of slavery, the history of the struggle of trade unions in the coal industry from Tonypandy to Orgreave, and the second World War are all momentous parts of UK history, and widely feature in present day history carricula?

I don't know if there ever was a statue of Savile anywhere; if there was it's removal was simply refuse collection and not significant in history. If Swanny is looking to removed statues to highlight momentous parts of British history, he should probably also disregard as totally irrelevant the demise of Al-Fayed's ghastly effigy of Michael Jackson too!

:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here