Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MORONS on Facebook.....

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Anywhere you go in the world you see the National Flag flying all over the place. Tricolores in France, stars and stripes over every porch in the states, here in Indonesia the rather boring red and white flag can be seen everywhere.

But in the UK, virtually never, can't think the last place I saw the Union Jack flying (I guess on the backs of victorious athletes in the Olympics). Occasionally you see flags of England, Scotland or Wales, but thats usually just when there is a sporting event on. We're either not very proud of being British, or just don't go into flags.

Which is strange, as flags have power. Any movement, anywhere in the world, unites under a flag.

What that means is that other groups have started to adopt these flags as their own, and the meaning of the flag starts changing. There is no doubt that the BNP, National Front and other dodgy groups on the right have successfully adopted the Flag of St George as one of their symbols. So its not really surprising that some of their targets take exception to these flags being flown - although at times like this they must be the particularly stupid ones not to realise there is a World Cup on.

So I think US has a perfectly good point - albeit outside of a World Cup/Euros.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Anywhere you go in the world you see the National Flag flying all over the place. Tricolores in France, stars and stripes over every porch in the states, here in Indonesia the rather boring red and white flag can be seen everywhere.

But in the UK, virtually never, can't think the last place I saw the Union Jack flying (I guess on the backs of victorious athletes in the Olympics). Occasionally you see flags of England, Scotland or Wales, but thats usually just when there is a sporting event on. We're either not very proud of being British, or just don't go into flags.

Which is strange, as flags have power. Any movement, anywhere in the world, unites under a flag.

What that means is that other groups have started to adopt these flags as their own, and the meaning of the flag starts changing. There is no doubt that the BNP, National Front and other dodgy groups on the right have successfully adopted the Flag of St George as one of their symbols. So its not really surprising that some of their targets take exception to these flags being flown - although at times like this they must be the particularly stupid ones not to realise there is a World Cup on.

So I think US has a perfectly good point - albeit outside of a World Cup/Euros.

It's the same in Sweden. Every home in the rural areas has a flag outside. And there are plenty around in the cities also on various buildings.

Always amuses me to see that people are thick enough to pick up isolated stories about flags and think it's the way of the world.

I presume that's aimed at me. Thanks for calling me thick. It certainly raises the level of debate.

I'd say the way of the world is that most people are live and let live but that there is a very very vocal minority who see intolerance at every turn and are always at hand, ready to be offended on someone else's behalf. It would be very naive to deny that these people exist or the disruption they can cause.

Brightonians and Brighton fans alike can probably think of a fair few examples.

It's the same in Sweden. Every home in the rural areas has a flag outside. And there are plenty around in the cities also on various buildings.
When we had Swedish next door neighbours, we saw the flag of Sweden flown regularly - for family birthdays, Christmas, Swedish holidays ... all sorts of special events.

The thing about England is our confused sense of national identity. We are English for football and cricket purposes, but British for the Olympics. Such flag flying as there is seems to be confined to sporting occasions and one other day a year. Odd, really.

Codner's Crackpipe

Feb 25, 2005
My little girl LOVED the St George's Day celebrations they held at her primary school last month. Her school's in Hounslow. As far as I know everyone had a good time, and the day passed off without any holy wars or fatwas being declared.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Hounslow doesnt have as many 'immigrants' as Seaford and other such ethnically rich areas quoted here this week does it haha.

Last edited:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
The thing about England is our confused sense of national identity. We are English for football and cricket purposes, but British for the Olympics. Such flag flying as there is seems to be confined to sporting occasions and one other day a year. Odd, really.

I couldn't agree more. I was recently asked by my employer if I self-defined as being English or British. Um, can't I be both? Apparently not.

If they ask me to self-define again, I'm going to tell them that I'm Jamaican.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
So.... Was in a pub last night wearing an England shirt - someone made a comment about not being able to do that soon blah blah blah. I reffered to the BBC article and said it's a load of The Sun / Facebook bollocks. A kiddy I know, whose Mrs is a copper said that it is true and that the old bill have been told they can 'fine' people wearing an England shirt? I argued the case about this BBC article but about 3 people said it was true etc etc (all be it the 3 were a bunch of clueless twats IMO)...

So - has this copper REALLY been told she can fine people - or is she being a jumped up power hunting lying jobsworth dick as per usual...?! I'm confused?!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
This girl is the utter opitimy of some coppers (*SOME)

No clue about confidentiality ATALL - tells everyone in the pub very loudly about cases going on / even NAMES of imigrants she's arrested etc... It makes me sick...

So yes - I think she's talking out her f***ing arse.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

No clue about confidentiality ATALL - tells everyone in the pub very loudly about cases going on / even NAMES of imigrants she's arrested etc... It makes me sick...

Yes she is talking out of her Arse. There's no law that's been broken to even consider fining people under.

Cecil

Feb 8, 2008
Heathfield

:lolol:

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Itll be in the mail tomorrow. Sussex police confirm its not a rumour!...:-D

You got to laugh though. Some seriously deluded individuals out there who seem desperate to cause a fuss about something. Even when its NOTHING.

Anybody who seriously believes they will be fined for wearing an England football shirt in public really needs to have a long, private word with themselves, whilst removing their fists from their penis.

ps...understandable though, if its a palarse shirt, as that is offensive.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Itll be in the mail tomorrow. Sussex police confirm its not a rumour!...:-D

You got to laugh though. Some seriously deluded individuals out there who seem desperate to cause a fuss about something. Even when its NOTHING.

Anybody who seriously believes they will be fined for wearing an England football shirt in public really needs to have a long, private word with themselves, whilst removing their fists from their penis.

ps...understandable though, if its a palarse shirt, as that is offensive.

What's annoyed me (as a non facebook user who has his head screwed on a little) is that about 3 seperate random groups of people have said about it in the last 4 days! One was a pub land lady! Maybe this world is turning into the 'Sun / Facebook' generation - sad really...

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU BLOODY READ!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I don't normally buy/wear England shirts but i'm sorely tempted to buy one just so I can head down my local and wear one to see what happens.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I don't normally buy/wear England shirts but i'm sorely tempted to buy one just so I can head down my local and wear one to see what happens.

Nothing will happen. As has been said elsewhere on this thread, the stories about England shirts being banned in pubs are inaccurate and blown out of proportion.

So - has this copper REALLY been told she can fine people - or is she being a jumped up power hunting lying jobsworth dick as per usual...?! I'm confused?!

Surely the fine could only be enforced if it were proven that a law had been broken? Therefore, a fining officer would probably have to have evidence that people have been offended by the wearing of said England shirt. I'm sure Edna K will be able to clear this issue up...

Last edited:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

Nothing will happen apart from you will be sitting/standing with 10's of others watching a football match

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here