Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More Maradonna nonsense in todays argus

Is naylor on a retainer by Ardiles and his mates???????

Ossie desperate for job
by Andy Naylor

Ossie Ardiles is "desperate" to return to English football, one of his closest friends revealed today.

Steve Perryman says his former Tottenham team-mate "wants to be involved in a club in any way he can".

Perryman's comments follow yesterday's front page Argus story on Ardiles' interest in Albion.

The ex-midfielder and fellow Argentine legend Diego Maradona are keen to invest in Albion if they get permission for a new stadium at Falmer.

Perryman played with Ardiles at Spurs, later becoming his assistant manager at both White Hart Lane and Shimizu S-Pulse in Japan.

Ardiles, who also took charge of Swindon, Newcastle and West Brom, has managed in a variety of countries abroad since leaving Spurs in 1994 and is currently living in Spain after losing his job in Japan in the summer.

Perryman, now director of football at Conference club Exeter, said: "Ossie is desperate to get involved again in English football.

"He's had several seasons' experience abroad and he is ready for a new challenge.

"There are a few opportunities, a list of people Ossie is interested in, but I don't want to talk about them.

"All I know is Ossie wants to be involved in a club in any way he can. It would be a major crime if he wasn't involved in English football again."

Ardiles and Maradona have remained friends since playing together for Argentina in the late Seventies. Perryman confirmed: "As far as I know Ossie is close to Maradona."

Meanwhile, manager Mark McGhee watched Argentine target man Federico Turienzo boost his first team prospects with a goal for the Reserves in a 1-1 friendly draw at Brentford yesterday.

Injuries and lack of match sharpness have restricted Turienzo to two substitute appearances in the Championship at the start of the season since joining Albion from Gimnasia for an undisclosed fee.

Yesterday's line-up also featured Alan Blayney in goal, Kerry Mayo and Alexandre Frutos.

Lewis trialist Leon Legge missed the match with a groin injury. McGhee will take another look at the 19-year-old former Hailsham centre half when he is fit.

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
Storer68 said:
Is naylor on a retainer by Ardiles and his mates???????

Ardiles, who also took charge of Swindon, Newcastle and West Brom, has managed in a variety of countries abroad since leaving Spurs in 1994 and is currently living in Spain after losing his job in Japan in the summer.

Perryman, now director of football at Conference club Exeter, said: "Ossie is desperate to get involved again in English football.

"He's had several seasons' experience abroad and he is ready for a new challenge.

We are not talking about quality management here are we.

Who publishes this rubbish?

There is clearly something in it, it's just a shame the club have to find out about it through the press rather than a civilised discreet contact.

But we all know that all sort of characters are going to emerge wanting a piece of us because of the new stadium. This story will be the first of many to appear, although I guess nothing can top Maradona. Maybe Pele wanting to buy us, but that's it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
London Irish said:
There is clearly something in it, it's just a shame the club have to find out about it through the press rather than a civilised discreet contact.

But we all know that all sort of characters are going to emerge wanting a piece of us because of the new stadium. This story will be the first of many to appear, although I guess nothing can top Maradona. Maybe Pele wanting to buy us, but that's it.

How do you know the club have found out through the press?

They are well within there rights to deny any knowing of it

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
London Irish said:

I agree but this is coming from somebody who kept slating me when I suggested it would happen and all
they could write was 'give us a name'.

This may not come off but as LI says it will be one of many and one of those enquiries wil prove fruitful.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
KinkyGoebels said:
I LOVE the fact you all think its crap - i will piss myself if it happens

Me too, a fair few of them are the ones that said the same about adams, cullip, virgo etc all leaving.

It's all interesting stuff even if it might be bollocks BUT YOU NEVER KNOW.

I'm always of the opinion there's no smoke without fire and more often than not in football it happens.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
KinkyGoebels said:
Yeah and Glazer would never be able to take over utd

Well luckily we won't be subject to that kind of takeover.

Personally I think getting Falmer will be DK's finest hour and he may well consider handing over the reigns and that his last job as chairman would be to ensure that the new custodians have the clubs interest at heart. I think we could trust him in doing that.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Gadaffi at Palace? Remember that one?

All this has come from a small paragraph in the Mail on Sunday.
Remember the paper you all love to hate?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Yorkie said:
Gadaffi at Palace? Remember that one?

All this has come from a small paragraph in the Mail on Sunday.
Remember the paper you all love to hate?

Remember The russian at Chelsea?
Mr glazier both rumours.

Ansty Seagull

Oct 5, 2005
Ansty
A friend of mine is very close to the board and I am assured this story is complete nonsense, as most of us would have assumed! Seems like another example of Naylor communicating via an orifice other than his mouth.
My mate is genuine, I got the heads up on the past two managers a day ahead of any announcements.:drink: :drink:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I don't know anything about the Gadaffi one but this seems to have a few ex professionals ,who know one or both of the argies, confirming knowledge of their interest.

It's a long way from them making an offer and it being accepted though but it can't be dismissed as total bollocks I don't think.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
munster monch said:
I don't know anything about the Gadaffi one but this seems to have a few ex professionals ,who know one or both of the argies, confirming knowledge of their interest.

It's a long way from them making an offer and it being accepted though but it can't be dismissed as total bollocks I don't think.

The 'Gadaffi deal' that wasn't even got in the Times.

http://www.northstandchat.biz/showthread.php?threadid=29524&highlight=Gadaffi

And the Guardian

http://www.northstandchat.biz/showthread.php?threadid=29412&highlight=Gadaffi

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What suprises me about all of this is the fact that Alan Brazil says about Ossie wanting to become involved with an English League club when he had the ideal oppoprtunity and grounding with Steve Perryman getting him involved either on the playing side or the financial side of Exeter City who are 1 division away from the league and possibly with investment 4/5 years aqway from the premiership. I assume that they own St James's Park. A long shot maybe but certainly possible.

Why didnt they go there?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here