Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More lunacy from the Council

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Brighton and Hove to become 20mph city From The Argus)

Really? REALLY?

I understand 20mph around schools and colleges but every residential street? They really detest car drivers don't they? It's almost an outright hatred.

It's not as though you bring forth any hatred, is it? Face it, if the Tories introduced this (and they're not actually against the scheme - they're only questioning its enforceability), you'd either say it's a good idea or - at least - say nothing.

If they detested car drivers, they'd ban cars. And please don't insult anyone's intelligence that that is their intention. Of course, not every residential street (and it's only residential streets we're talking about) needs a 20mph zone - and some may end up being exempt, but what's the blazing rush of driving through a narrow residential street at 30mph anyway?

Personally, like the other two parties, I'm not against this idea - just more concerned, as they are, about how it's going to be enforced. But if there's a culture of promoting driving through residential streets more considerately, what's with the automated knee jerk response?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If its not enforcable, then I shall continue to ignore it.

f***ing Greens. Its a complete nonsense in Portslade already. Some roads seem to be 20mph for the sake of it, yet get outside a school (Eastbrook Primary, or the one just of Vale Road), and the roads are still 30mph.

Its a mess and a shambles. Don't even get me STARTED on the tiny mini-roundabouts at t-junctions and pointless random white bollards you have to dodge round now. Utterly pathetic, and just another case of a council foisting unnecessary shit on people in order to justify their own pointless existance.

Wankers the lot of them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
If its not enforcable, then I shall continue to ignore it.

f***ing Greens. Its a complete nonsense in Portslade already. Some roads seem to be 20mph for the sake of it, yet get outside a school (Eastbrook Primary, or the one just of Vale Road), and the roads are still 30mph.

Its a mess and a shambles. Don't even get me STARTED on the tiny mini-roundabouts at t-junctions and pointless random white bollards you have to dodge round now. Utterly pathetic, and just another case of a council foisting unnecessary shit on people in order to justify their own pointless existance.

Wankers the lot of them.

When did all this go in?

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
What is your primary issue with this measure?

It's completely unnecessary. That's my primary issue.

My secondary issue is that it is being brought in for purely ideological reasons. People drive cars. Public transport is expensive and time consuming. Until PT is cheaper and quicker, people will drive cars.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
It's not as though you bring forth any hatred, is it? Face it, if the Tories introduced this (and they're not actually against the scheme - they're only questioning its enforceability), you'd either say it's a good idea or - at least - say nothing.

If they detested car drivers, they'd ban cars. And please don't insult anyone's intelligence that that is their intention. Of course, not every residential street (and it's only residential streets we're talking about) needs a 20mph zone - and some may end up being exempt, but what's the blazing rush of driving through a narrow residential street at 30mph anyway?

Personally, like the other two parties, I'm not against this idea - just more concerned, as they are, about how it's going to be enforced. But if there's a culture of promoting driving through residential streets more considerately, what's with the automated knee jerk response?

What's knee-jerk about disagreeing with a policy? I just think it's totally unnecessary and punds and time will be wasted trying to enforce it.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
What's that got to do with asking people to slow down? No-one is asking anyone to get out of their cars.

The Green administration said the scheme, which police have warned will have to be self-enforcing, will help improve road safety, reduce air pollution and encourage more people to use sustainable transport.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
What's knee-jerk about disagreeing with a policy? I just think it's totally unnecessary and punds and time will be wasted trying to enforce it.

The knee-jerk is about so-called 'car-hating' and 'hatred', when the real point is about asking people to slow down in residential streets.

Where is the 'outright hatred' in trying to be considerate to pedestrians, neighbours and the environment?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The Green administration said the scheme, which police have warned will have to be self-enforcing, will help improve road safety, reduce air pollution and encourage more people to use sustainable transport.

'Encourage' not 'force' - that's part of an overall plan, and no, they're not the same thing.

This won't necessarily encourage people to use public transport; they want to encourage that anyway.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Why is it unnecessary? It's been demonstrated it's safer and I cannot see any major negative issues so why the fuss?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

My secondary issue is that it is being brought in for purely ideological reasons. People drive cars. Public transport is expensive and time consuming. Until PT is cheaper and quicker, people will drive cars.

For where I live (BN1 suburbs), it is cheaper to either walk or use public transport than to have a car.

We do have a car, but use it rarely.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
When did all this go in?

The 20mph limits, and the recent 30mph limit along the dual carriageway Old Shoreham Road are refreshing and delightful new arrivals in the last couple of months.

The rest of the shit came in over the last couple of years.

Hence: "Wankers, the lot of them".

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The 20mph limits, and the recent 30mph limit along the dual carriageway Old Shoreham Road are refreshing and delightful new arrivals in the last couple of months.

The rest of the shit came in over the last couple of years.

Hence: "Wankers, the lot of them".

Ah, right. With the exception of the 20mph zones, you can thank the then Tory-led council for all of those other things you list... :)

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
As an aside to all this transport malarkey, I bought an all-day bus ticket last night as I was travelling from Lewes Road to Palmeira Square and back. £4.40 If there had been more than one of us it would have been cheaper to get taxis there and back. Absolute frigging rip-off.

And my Council Tax bill was over a thousand quid this year. 2 bed house, just off Elm Grove, 1 person living here and they want a grand.

Wankers, the lot of them.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
30mph is and always has been a perfectly safe speed along the vast majority of roads for any sensible driver with his wits about him. If its a dickhead behind the wheel, a 30mph / 20mph limit is going to make naff-all difference.

I would support slowing it down in the vicinity of schools, but blanketing every road other than dual carriageways with a 20mph limit is ridiculous. And if someone could explain to me how a 20mph limit "will reduce clutter" on our roads, then I'm all ears.

At this rate we might as well have every car appointed with a council official running along in front waving a red flag.

Now actually.......

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
30mph is and always has been a perfectly safe speed along the vast majority of roads for any sensible driver with his wits about him. If its a dickhead behind the wheel, a 30mph / 20mph limit is going to make naff-all difference.

I thought some people were saying 20mph is too slow.

I would support slowing it down in the vicinity of schools, but blanketing every road other than dual carriageways with a 20mph limit is ridiculous.

'All through roads.' Slightly different from 'dual carriageways'. I live on Stanford Avenue - I doubt that will have a 20mph limit put on it, for instance.

I'd imagine - in my neck of the woods - Ditchling Road, Preston Drove, Beaconsfield Villas, Hollingdean Road (all through-roads) and others will also all be exempt. In other cases round here, a 20mph zone is already in place, and has been for years.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Putting it in context, as long as it applies reasonably sensibly I don't have a problem. Brighton is not, after all, very big and most journeys are walkable for most people if it really is an issue for them. It might be a tad more challenging somewhere very hiily or in a city the size of Birmingham but if the public transport services are improved then why not? The problem is of course that bus and train services are actively being cut in many places which is almost an invitation for people to ignore using them and carry on driving the car. Bike lanes in my experience, are so piecemeal as to be a joke nationally - not that bike riders seem to take much notice of such niceties as they seem to elect to ride on the pavements when it suits them and to totally ignore traffic lights etc.
Car manufacturers could help so much more than they do. My last car had a speed limiter that could only be set at speeds above 39mph. My current car can be set at 30mph and above. Why not 20mph? I don't know of a single marque that offers it but surely they should.
Sadly I think it is all a bit of a spurious argument and Easy 10 is right - put a dickhead behind the wheel and it makes no difference what the speed limits are

Last edited:

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
As an aside to all this transport malarkey, I bought an all-day bus ticket last night as I was travelling from Lewes Road to Palmeira Square and back. £4.40 If there had been more than one of us it would have been cheaper to get taxis there and back. Absolute frigging rip-off.

And my Council Tax bill was over a thousand quid this year. 2 bed house, just off Elm Grove, 1 person living here and they want a grand.

Wankers, the lot of them.

You can buy a 25 saver from the drivers for only £2.50 which can also be used on 23's and 28's which I think is a fair price.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here