Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More lunacy from the Council

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
'All through roads.' Slightly different from 'dual carriageways'. I live on Stanford Avenue - I doubt that will have a 20mph limit put on it, for instance.

I'd imagine - in my neck of the woods - Ditchling Road, Preston Drove, Beaconsfield Villas, Hollingdean Road (all through-roads) and others will also all be exempt. In other cases round here, a 20mph zone is already in place, and has been for years.

In my neck of the woods, around Portslade, its practically all residential. If they turn every road into a 20mph then that will be (IMO) ridiculous. At the moment when going 20mph in these zones, I've often had my rear window filled with the bloke behind swarming all over my arse. Very distracting, as is the constant checks on the speedo, so I mince along at my usual 30 and be done with it.

chrissyboy01

Sep 24, 2011
does everyone realise how hard is to drive at 20mph around a city? this takes supreme concentration and constant looking at the dash instead of the road.

pure nonsense. buy some spray for the reg plates so the cameras cant get it and carry on as normal, and also black spray the $$ collecting cameras.....simple.

What? Its no different to driving at 30......just a bit slower and in third gear

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Road users who are guaranteed to totally ignore a 20mph limit................

BUS DRIVERS

TAXI DRIVERS

LORRY DRIVERS

MOTORCYCLISTS

All seem to be immune in my experience

Not a reason to take no action to appropriately reduce speed limits but as a general truism it always seems to be the saloon car driver who is the proverbial whipping boy

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
This has only been necessary because so many drivers were ignoring the 30mph,if the police make regular checks and ban those who make a habit of breaking the limit then its going to be a safer time for us all

Augustus

Jul 2, 2011
I can see they're trying to encourage public transport.... but the public transport (mainly buses) in this city are beyond crap. A bus journey will probably take at least twice as long as driving anywhere I go, and if i was to go to Patcham on a bus (live in Portslade) i would have to go through town and it would take an hour. I can get there driving in 10/15mins.... and they expect everyone to pay more than the price it takes in petrol for this service. Bus tickets are also far too expensive for the shoddy service provided.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I can see they're trying to encourage public transport.... but the public transport (mainly buses) in this city are beyond crap. A bus journey will probably take at least twice as long as driving anywhere I go, and if i was to go to Patcham on a bus (live in Portslade) i would have to go through town and it would take an hour. I can get there driving in 10/15mins.... and they expect everyone to pay more than the price it takes in petrol for this service. Bus tickets are also far too expensive for the shoddy service provided.

:facepalm:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Brighton and Hove to become 20mph city From The Argus)

Really? REALLY?

I understand 20mph around schools and colleges but every residential street? They really detest car drivers don't they? It's almost an outright hatred.

I fail to see the problem with 20mph speed limits.

On the subject of cycle lanes, I actually saw a cyclist using the Old Shoreham Road one the other day. Remarkable.

How much of your day do you spend in Old Shoreham Road?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

What is there to 'facepalm' there, you ever more becoming student, lefty, green type?

FYI, one of my motorcycles takes an enormous amount of concentration to stay below 30. First gear and the merest hint of constant throttle equals 40 mph, thirty I can cope with, twenty?

Waits for, 'but what about the children?' Pay attention in the Green Cross Code class you little f**ker!

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

This is spot on.
Buses are not practical for me.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Who will limit the cyclist to 20MPH ?
A lot of them travel faster than this, but with no identify marks or registrations there will no way to stop them.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Wankers. I'm going to run people over slowly as a protest.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
The city will end up with more of a bottleneck than it already has due to slow traffic speed plus more frustration and carelessness. If you want to see really bad road users, go to Greece. Comparatively, Brighton road-users are well-mannered and thoughtful. This is just another council trying to justify its time in the chamber.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The city will end up with more of a bottleneck than it already has due to slow traffic speed plus more frustration and carelessness. If you want to see really bad road users, go to Greece. Comparatively, Brighton road-users are well-mannered and thoughtful. This is just another council trying to justify its time in the chamber.

Why will it end up in a bottleneck? Which roads do you have in mind?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here