Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More lunacy from the Council

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Point #1
People drive cars because we've bred a society of lazy f*ckwits who wouldn't walk even if their journey is under a mile.
Once you have that mentality then a train or bus that drops you 500 yards from your destination will be dismissed because you'd rather take your beloved car and park it on the doorstep.

Point #2
If a bus costs £50 to travel a single journey and 10 people use it then the bus company needs to charge £5 each.
If the same journey is done with 50 people on the bus then the bus company can charge £1.

Getting people out of cars and on to public transport and the cost of public transport dropping - it has to happen in that order because the bus company can't drop the price if the extra passengers don't materialise.

Yes, this is pure ideology but it benefits the whole of society and therefore its not actually a bad ideology to have!

Convenience and speed benefits me and I would argue society as a whole. It's quicker for me to drive somewhere than get the bus. This may sound a bit wanky, but my life is hectic enough as it is without having to wait for a bus to stop 87 times before I get to my destination.

Car usage is here to stay, it's time the powers that be realised this and stop making life difficult for those who are actually trying to achieve something in a day.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I regularly drive up and down Trafalgar Road in Portslade, and the 20mph "limit" is flatly ignored by everyone. The police said at the time it was introduced that they wouldn't enforce it, so its made feck-all difference (other than the expense to everyone of putting up loads of signs and painting roads).

Pointless legislation by a load of self-justifying we-know-whats-best-for-you arrogant, puffed-up out of touch windbags. This is right up there with the 10 yard cycle lanes, and the utterly superflous mini-roundabouts at residential t-junctions that Portslade, Southwick and Shoreham is now completely festooned with (which actually leads to MORE confusion and hesitation than ever occurred when they were just left alone as straightforward t-junctions).

And yes, I appreciate some of this came in before the Greens were inflicted on us. Local councils are largely dominated by wankers though, whatever party holds current sway.

Huge THIS. Councils of every colour have f***ed up the road network in B&H beyond recognition. The dangerous cycle lane on Old Shoreham road is proof of this. Try turning left out of a side road opposite BHASVIC without going into the cycle lane or swinging into oncoming traffic.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Point #1
People drive cars because we've bred a society of lazy f*ckwits who wouldn't walk even if their journey is under a mile.
Once you have that mentality then a train or bus that drops you 500 yards from your destination will be dismissed because you'd rather take your beloved car and park it on the doorstep.

Point #2
If a bus costs £50 to travel a single journey and 10 people use it then the bus company needs to charge £5 each.
If the same journey is done with 50 people on the bus then the bus company can charge £1.

Getting people out of cars and on to public transport and the cost of public transport dropping - it has to happen in that order because the bus company can't drop the price if the extra passengers don't materialise.

Yes, this is pure ideology but it benefits the whole of society and therefore its not actually a bad ideology to have!

Trying going from Hangleton to Patcham - 1 hour 10 minutes or more on a bus - 5 minutes in the car. I'll keep my car thank you and no council ( of any colour ) will change that.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Try turning left out of a side road opposite BHASVIC without going into the cycle lane or swinging into oncoming traffic.

I quite like that cycle lane even though I think it wasn't really necessary... but I TOTALLY agree with this. You have to wait for both lanes to be empty before you can go.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I regularly drive up and down Trafalgar Road in Portslade, and the 20mph "limit" is flatly ignored by everyone. The police said at the time it was introduced that they wouldn't enforce it, so its made feck-all difference (other than the expense to everyone of putting up loads of signs and painting roads).

Pointless legislation by a load of self-justifying we-know-whats-best-for-you arrogant, puffed-up out of touch windbags. This is right up there with the 10 yard cycle lanes, and the utterly superflous mini-roundabouts at residential t-junctions that Portslade, Southwick and Shoreham is now completely festooned with (which actually leads to MORE confusion and hesitation than ever occurred when they were just left alone as straightforward t-junctions).

And yes, I appreciate some of this came in before the Greens were inflicted on us. Local councils are largely dominated by wankers though, whatever party holds current sway.

Completely and utterly agree with THIS. It was moronic to spend all the money on the 20mph areas around Portslade. Nobody sticks to them at all ( including the new 30mph on the Old Shoreham Road ). Some of the newer road designs around the city have clearly been created by someone that's had a lobotomy !

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Trying going from Hangleton to Patcham - 1 hour 10 minutes or more on a bus - 5 minutes in the car. I'll keep my car thank you and no council ( of any colour ) will change that.

Well, of course not EVERY journey by bus is convenient, and you've cited an extreme example, and not one exactly taken by the masses. Of course it's daft to take that journey by bus unless you've really no option.

But for that one journey, you could easily name 20 where the bus is far more convenient - especially when you need to go through the city centre (where in your example you don't).

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
How many cyclists jump the red light at the bottom of elm grove? And with the cars either turning left of right? Amount of times I have seen near misses and the cyclist yell abuse! Baffles me!

I didn't say they're never at fault! It reminds me that one thing that has become clear recently is that, when someone on a bike does some stupid shit, it's generalised as being a problem with 'cyclists', whereas when drivers jump red lights / drive through zebra crossings / use their phone, it's seen as a problem with that driver only. Interesting.

(We're probably a bit too O/T from the point of the thread now, though)

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
I didn't say they're never at fault! It reminds me that one thing that has become clear recently is that, when someone on a bike does some stupid shit, it's generalised as being a problem with 'cyclists', whereas when drivers jump red lights / drive through zebra crossings / use their phone, it's seen as a problem with that driver only. Interesting.

(We're probably a bit too O/T from the point of the thread now, though)

Very true, small minority's ruin it for everyone else! Amount of times I see a drive on his phone! Idiot!

Did see a cyclist on his phone the other day and he ended up hitting a tree :lol:

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Well, of course not EVERY journey by bus is convenient, and you've cited an extreme example, and not one exactly taken by the masses. Of course it's daft to take that journey by bus unless you've really no option.

But for that one journey, you could easily name 20 where the bus is far more convenient - especially when you need to go through the city centre (where in your example you don't).

I hope you factor in the time spent waiting for one to turn up in your 'calculations'

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
Try turning left out of a side road opposite BHASVIC without going into the cycle lane or swinging into oncoming traffic.

As a regular B&H cyclist this cycle lane really puzzles me - especially the stretch from Newman School to Bhasvic. Why it wasn't a wider two-way cycle lane on the playing field side, instead of one either side with numerous cross-overs, I don't know. If I'm going West on that road I'd rather be on the Eastward bound cycle lane as I don't have to cross a single intersection where I could be sideswiped. It'd be much faster also. And if I was Eastward bound and needed to cut down one of those side roads, I'd just pull into the main lane when it was clear and indicate, like you would if going Westbound. Just odd.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Huge THIS. Councils of every colour have f***ed up the road network in B&H beyond recognition. The dangerous cycle lane on Old Shoreham road is proof of this. Try turning left out of a side road opposite BHASVIC without going into the cycle lane or swinging into oncoming traffic.

Using your joker a bit early don't you think CaM?

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
How many cyclists jump the red light at the bottom of elm grove? And with the cars either turning left of right? Amount of times I have seen near misses and the cyclist yell abuse! Baffles me!

I cycle there every morning and I've seen more cars go through red (just after it's changed) than cyclists. Truth. It's best for cyclists turning right to go slightly earlier than green (once the green man has gone) so they can get to the right hand lane avoiding any impatient car coming up behind them. It's a little thing but it helps harmony.
I love cycling around Brighton. Havent had a car for 3 years now, no need.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
I cycle there every morning and I've seen more cars go through red (just after it's changed) than cyclists. Truth. It's best for cyclists turning right to go slightly earlier than green (once the green man has gone) so they can get to the right hand lane avoiding any impatient car coming up behind them. It's a little thing but it helps harmony.
I love cycling around Brighton. Havent had a car for 3 years now, no need.

You should try being in and around London and the city. The Council would clean up the number of cyclists running red lights and cycling on the pavement. It's madness

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I am loving the way that Lewes Road is backing up at peak times now where the roadworks take it down to one lane in places.

I can not wait until the entire road from Coldean Lane down to the Gyratory is one lane (or wherever the start and finish of the planned bus lane are)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here