Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Heard council vote takes place today?

20mph limit in following boundaries:

North: Old Shorham Road
East: Sussex county Hospital
South: A259
West: Sackville Road Hove

Fingers crossed it goes through. No need for 30mph in town is there.
But let's face it, the 'lunatic' council probably aren't doing this on the back of research and tests, just a whim.
This board *shakes head*

Heard council vote takes place today?

20mph limit in following boundaries:

North: Old Shorham Road
East: Sussex county Hospital
South: A259
West: Sackville Road Hove
The report and the recommendations to the Transport Committee are here:-

http://present.brighton-hove.gov.uk/Published/C00000695/M00004099/$$Supp13746dDocPackPublic.pdf

The plans will exclude A259 (Seafront), New Church Road, Ditchling Road (north of the railway line), A23 (north of the railway line), Lewes Road (North of Bear Road) and A270 (Old Shoreham Road).

Last edited:

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Wonder if they are gonna clamp down on cyclists going through red lights! OR if one does and gets hit by a car, blame the car?

D'oh! Hardly any of the hundred-odd people on bikes killed by drivers every year in the UK are at fault at all. And hardly any RLJ-ing creates risk of serious injury. You've been suckered by the Clarksons of this world into victim-blaming.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
The knee-jerk is about so-called 'car-hating' and 'hatred', when the real point is about asking people to slow down in residential streets.

Where is the 'outright hatred' in trying to be considerate to pedestrians, neighbours and the environment?

Just what I wanted to say. Cars kill and hurt people, and they are going to kill and hurt fewer people if they drive more slowly. And i am speaking as someone who would normally take the car, but would prefer to use public transport if it was cheaper and better where i live.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Joke council

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
D'oh! Hardly any of the hundred-odd people on bikes killed by drivers every year in the UK are at fault at all. And hardly any RLJ-ing creates risk of serious injury. You've been suckered by the Clarksons of this world into victim-blaming.

Nothing to do with Clarkson and everything to do with EVERYONE sticking to the rule of law. Neither drivers nor cyclists should be jumping red lights.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I think this is all about drivers perceptions of speed more than anything else. If the limit is 20mph, far fewer people will go over 30 than do now. That's a good thing.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Nothing to do with Clarkson and everything to do with EVERYONE sticking to the rule of law. Neither drivers nor cyclists should be jumping red lights.

Exactly. Sussex Police are at least making a start...

Fines for Brighton cyclists jumping red lights

Cyclists jumping red lights or going the wrong way down a one way street in Brighton will be issued with on the spot fines by Sussex Police.

The force said the biggest complaint for residents and businesses along St James's Street is cyclists travelling the wrong way down the road.

Police said the £30 fines will raise awareness of traffic laws.

PC Elaine Welsh said officers will be "actively looking" for cyclists breaking the rules.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Exactly. Sussex Police are at least making a start...

Fines for Brighton cyclists jumping red lights

Cyclists jumping red lights or going the wrong way down a one way street in Brighton will be issued with on the spot fines by Sussex Police.

The force said the biggest complaint for residents and businesses along St James's Street is cyclists travelling the wrong way down the road.

Police said the £30 fines will raise awareness of traffic laws.

PC Elaine Welsh said officers will be "actively looking" for cyclists breaking the rules.

Good news. Cycling to work along Church Road is bloody infuriating, the amount of "fellow" cyclists with no helmets, no lights, who run red lights is unbelievable.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Neither drivers nor cyclists should be jumping red lights.

Agreed!

But [MENTION=16110]albion534[/MENTION] drew a link between cyclists RLJing and cyclists getting hit by cars. It's a red herring.

The reality is that when someone jumps a red light on a bike at a junction, they are more likely to be increasing safety (by avoiding the risk of getting 'left-hooked' by a car, for example) than increasing risk.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
It's completely unnecessary. That's my primary issue.

My secondary issue is that it is being brought in for purely ideological reasons. People drive cars. Public transport is expensive and time consuming. Until PT is cheaper and quicker, people will drive cars.

Point #1
People drive cars because we've bred a society of lazy f*ckwits who wouldn't walk even if their journey is under a mile.
Once you have that mentality then a train or bus that drops you 500 yards from your destination will be dismissed because you'd rather take your beloved car and park it on the doorstep.

Point #2
If a bus costs £50 to travel a single journey and 10 people use it then the bus company needs to charge £5 each.
If the same journey is done with 50 people on the bus then the bus company can charge £1.

Getting people out of cars and on to public transport and the cost of public transport dropping - it has to happen in that order because the bus company can't drop the price if the extra passengers don't materialise.

Yes, this is pure ideology but it benefits the whole of society and therefore its not actually a bad ideology to have!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I regularly drive up and down Trafalgar Road in Portslade, and the 20mph "limit" is flatly ignored by everyone. The police said at the time it was introduced that they wouldn't enforce it, so its made feck-all difference (other than the expense to everyone of putting up loads of signs and painting roads).

Pointless legislation by a load of self-justifying we-know-whats-best-for-you arrogant, puffed-up out of touch windbags. This is right up there with the 10 yard cycle lanes, and the utterly superflous mini-roundabouts at residential t-junctions that Portslade, Southwick and Shoreham is now completely festooned with (which actually leads to MORE confusion and hesitation than ever occurred when they were just left alone as straightforward t-junctions).

And yes, I appreciate some of this came in before the Greens were inflicted on us. Local councils are largely dominated by wankers though, whatever party holds current sway.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Agreed!

But [MENTION=16110]albion534[/MENTION] drew a link between cyclists RLJing and cyclists getting hit by cars. It's a red herring.

The reality is that when someone jumps a red light on a bike at a junction, they are more likely to be increasing safety (by avoiding the risk of getting 'left-hooked' by a car, for example) than increasing risk.

How many cyclists jump the red light at the bottom of elm grove? And with the cars either turning left of right? Amount of times I have seen near misses and the cyclist yell abuse! Baffles me!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here