Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Moon Landing, are YOU are conspiracy theorist?

Did the moon landing happen?

• Total voters

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I don't have enough time on my hands to worry about this sort of stuff.
Have to make ends meet and look after the family.
Anything else is just incidental and passing news.
Doesn't affect me, so mainly worry about things that do.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I don't have enough time on my hands to worry about this sort of stuff.
Have to make ends meet and look after the family.
Anything else is just incidental and passing news.
Doesn't affect me, so mainly worry about things that do.
That's NOT the attitude. We HAVE to determine immediately whether you are a nutcase or not. In other news, you don't have to worry about whether it happened at all because it did.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The last time this was discussed one of the mods’ pet idiots set up a sock puppet girlfriend to agree with himself :lolol:

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I voted 'fence'. But hear me out...

In reality I do believe that the moon landings happened.

But if I were going to choose a conspiracy theory to believe in, and defend, this would be high on the list. Here are a few thoughts:

Faking the moon landings would be hardly less crazy than some of the stuff the US govt actually did get up to during the cold war. The US had lost their collective minds and it seems that the government could justify, and get away with, almost anything in the name of 'fighting communism'. And the levels of command and control were probably strong enough to make them think they could get away with it.

There was a really strong incentive. Beating the Ruskies was EVERYTHING then.

Faking the landings would have been easy enough. BUT, as I am sure (haven't read the whole thread) has been stated many times, the challenge would be keeping the truth hidden. For ever. That would be almost impossible. BUT actually doing it also seems 'almost impossible'. They had less computing power available back then than any one of us now carries around in the phone in our pocket*. The technology was so (relatively) basic and there were so many unknowns. And the tasks involved were so complex. How did they know it would all work? Their test rockets exploded, but they still pursuaded people to sit on top of an unstable tin can full of fuel. Then they had to rely on some meccano covered in tin foil to land and take off again. And to be able to find each other again in orbit and couple up...How did they know they wouldn't hit a soft patch and sink, or topple on landing? I mean they pretty much landed it by tbe seat of their pants FFS. So many risks, so much to go wrong.

So.while I think it was, on balance, easier to do it than to fake it and cover up...by golly, it's a close run thing. When people talk about how absurd it is to imagine it isn't true they never take into account how genuinely absurd it is that it IS true. The more you find out about how it all worked, the more extraordinary it seems.

* no idea if this is true but it's the sort of thing people say that sounds true.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I read something a long time ago about how the astronauts didn't take very good photos of each other. NASA ended up using mock photos that they did when practicing and sent then as part of their press release. In later years under scrutiny its clear the photos weren't taken on the moon which sparked conspiracy theories.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Yeah, they went there. The doppler shift on lunar orbit couldn't be faked.

Radio hams set up a 9 metre dish to listen in

"Ham's setting up a 9 meter dish to receive signals from the Moon, and a
doppler shift measurement (offset) of the received signal at around
2287.5 MHz as the spacecraft orbited the near side of the Moon. From
Tracking Apollo-17 from Florida.

It looks like there will be at least 50 kHz of doppler shift for one
orbit of the near hemisphere of the moon, eyeballing the graph.

50 kHz divided by 2287.5 MHz is about 22.9 ppm. Multiply that by the
speed of light and I get a velocity change of 6557 m/s. Using a GM_moon
of 4.905E+12 m^3/s^2 and an altitude of 60km, I esitmate the orbital
speed of only 1650 m/s."

dish.jpg

dish1.jpg

curve.gif

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Fortean Times is an excellent magazine about unexplained phenomena. They have carried quite a few articles about the lunar landings being faked both in their magazine and on their forums.

There are quite a few references in popular culture to the moon landings both in the really good Capricorn One and also in the Bond movie Diamonds are Forever when Bond blunders onto a lunar walk set

1725788288939.png

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’m not sure Fortesn Times is meant to be taken seriously is it?

It’s a bit tongue in cheek

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yeah, they went there. The doppler shift on lunar orbit couldn't be faked.

Radio hams set up a 9 metre dish to listen in

"Ham's setting up a 9 meter dish to receive signals from the Moon, and a
doppler shift measurement (offset) of the received signal at around
2287.5 MHz as the spacecraft orbited the near side of the Moon. From
Tracking Apollo-17 from Florida.

It looks like there will be at least 50 kHz of doppler shift for one
orbit of the near hemisphere of the moon, eyeballing the graph.

50 kHz divided by 2287.5 MHz is about 22.9 ppm. Multiply that by the
speed of light and I get a velocity change of 6557 m/s. Using a GM_moon
of 4.905E+12 m^3/s^2 and an altitude of 60km, I esitmate the orbital
speed of only 1650 m/s."

View attachment 188641

View attachment 188642

View attachment 188643
I mean, who can argue with them 🤣

IMG_2568.jpeg

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I’m not sure Fortesn Times is meant to be taken seriously is it?

It’s a bit tongue in cheek
It's a mix - some serious stuff and some very tongue in cheek. The serious stuff is very well researched

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I'd like to know what real benefits to mankind have come from it?

Personally, all I can see is the freeze dried space food and the space dust I used to love as a kid in the 80s and then as an adult, the Race for Space album by Public Service Broadcasting. And don't give me that Tempur shite, tried one of their pillows - fecking awful.

What a waste of money.

If we can't get millions of people off Earth and living in space then this world is doomed. It's our only hope.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024

Personally, all I can see is the freeze dried space food and the space dust I used to love as a kid in the 80s and then as an adult, the Race for Space album by Public Service Broadcasting. And don't give me that Tempur shite, tried one of their pillows - fecking awful.

What a waste of money.

If we can't get millions of people off Earth and living in space then this world is doomed. It's our only hope.
Fake or real (not getting involved!!) it looks like a shite place and I'd rather go down with this ship than sentence my hypothetical kids and grandkids to sit around in Elon Musks dystopian The Sims-save. Much more attainable anyway. I make sure to throw cigarette butts on the ground every day to help the proceess.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

What a waste of money.

I can't help thinking there must be a more efficient way to invent non-stick frying pans and velcro.

But it's good we solved all the problems on earth before spending billions on going off to cause problems somewhere else.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Fake or real (not getting involved!!) it looks like a shite place and I'd rather go down with this ship than sentence my hypothetical kids and grandkids to sit around in Elon Musks dystopian The Sims-save. Much more attainable anyway. I make sure to throw cigarette butts on the ground every day to help the proceess.
If you had the choice of staying on this Earth or being a settler on a LV-426 would you stay or would you go? I'd go,for sure.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
I can't help thinking there must be a more efficient way to invent non-stick frying pans and velcro.

But it's good we solved all the problems on earth before spending billions on going off to cause problems somewhere else.
Don't forget the ballpoint pen that can write in zero gravity/upside down.

Game. Changed.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
If you had the choice of staying on this Earth or being a settler on a LV-426 would you stay or would you go? I'd go,for sure.
I'd stay, too much good shit on this planet to experience it all in one lifetime. Can't live where there's no oceans, forrests or flowers. I'd grow insane out of claustrophobia.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I'd stay, too much good shit on this planet to experience it all in one lifetime. Can't live where there's no oceans, forrests or flowers. I'd grow insane out of claustrophobia.
And a stream of your favourite football team playing sublime and risky football would be very hard to access

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

What a waste of money.

a bunch of materials, battery and computing tech come from the space programme. not always invented for but advanced from theory or lab prototypes to real world application.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here