Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Monty Panesar signs !!

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Couple of mates played with or against him when he was on loan or similar to Bexhill. Glad to see he has continued the improvement as season went on :thumbsup:

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I saw his five-for against Gloucestershire at Arundel. He totally destroyed them in a couple of hours that day. However, I understand that his signing caused some ructions among the other players, as he is on far greater wages than the others. How much there is in that, I'm not sure.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
I saw his five-for against Gloucestershire at Arundel. He totally destroyed them in a couple of hours that day. However, I understand that his signing caused some ructions among the other players, as he is on far greater wages than the others. How much there is in that, I'm not sure.

He's been a good signing - particularly as he frees up a overseas berth that Mushy used to occupy. I'm pleased there's still room for Ollie Raynor in the match squad too.

That said, I'm not convinced he poses anywhere near the same threat that Mushy used to. He seems more of a tight-bowling spinner forcing the batsman into a mistake, with a defensive field, than a matchwinning attacking spinner.

From an international standpoint, Swanny any day.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
And we might play two spinners in at the WACA.

There's no point in Tredwell going, he's very average. Rashid, Monty or very possibly Yardy purley because he's part of the ODI teams and if we do play two spinners he'll need to be able to bat at 7

And we might play two spinners in at the WACA.

There's no point in Tredwell going, he's very average. Rashid, Monty or very possibly Yardy purley because he's part of the ODI teams and if we do play two spinners he'll need to be able to bat at 7

I agree that Tredwell is no great cop, but he appears to be in the number 2 position at the moment. England seem set on a 4 man attack, and they would never play 2 spinners in a 4 man attack. I would take Rashid, but then if Swann did get injured I'm not sure they'd be brave enough to play him as the lone spinner.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I agree that Tredwell is no great cop, but he appears to be in the number 2 position at the moment. England seem set on a 4 man attack, and they would never play 2 spinners in a 4 man attack. I would take Rashid, but then if Swann did get injured I'm not sure they'd be brave enough to play him as the lone spinner.

But Rashid is not even on the ECB's radar at the moment.

If Swann gets injured do you want to bring in Tredwell who has been ordinary this year or Monty, who has had a decent season and has experience of playing in the big games?

But Rashid is not even on the ECB's radar at the moment.

He's played international cricket inside the last 12 months, unlike Monty, although I know Monty was in the last Lions team. I certainly don't think there's any particular evidence that he's on or off their radar any more than Monty or Tredwell, I'm sure all 3 are being closely monitored.

If Swann gets injured do you want to bring in Tredwell who has been ordinary this year or Monty, who has had a decent season and has experience of playing in the big games?

As I said, I would take Rashid, but failing that I'd definitely have Monty above Tredwell. Unfortunately though it's not up to me, and I suspect that the selectors will take Tredwell.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
As I said, I would take Rashid, but failing that I'd definitely have Monty above Tredwell. Unfortunately though it's not up to me, and I suspect that the selectors will take Tredwell.

I think Monty will be on the Ashes tour.

I will be interested to see who the back up keeper is. Suspect wrongly it will be Davies, when in actual fact the form keeper / batsman after Prior is Jones, who again has a fair bit of test match experience.

I think Monty will be on the Ashes tour.

I will be interested to see who the back up keeper is. Suspect wrongly it will be Davies, when in actual fact the form keeper / batsman after Prior is Jones, who again has a fair bit of test match experience.

I hope you are right wrt to Monty.

I know that the Ashes are supposedly the be all and end all, but I would rather, particularly in the reserve positions, have half an eye on the future. For that reason I'd rather they take Davies, who could do a job if required and will also benefit from the experience of playing (or even just practising) in Australian conditions, than Jones who may do a slightly better job if called upon but otherwise gain nothing from the tour.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Tredwell? Can't see the point of taking two off spinners...

In 1982/83, England took three off-spinners: Geoff Miller, Vic Marks and Eddie Hemmings and no other spinners.

FWIW, I think Monty will go - the selectors don't seem to fancy Rashid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here