Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Monty Panesar signs !!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
same old NSC trashing someone before hes even started, how about you dont bother coming to any games next year and give us all some peace eh? losers!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
same old NSC trashing someone before hes even started, how about you dont bother coming to any games next year and give us all some peace eh? losers!
I'd rather see us developing Beer, Raynor and RHB and using our limited budget to replace the retired Lewry, than sign Monty. Still you know better than me:thumbsup:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I'd rather see us developing Beer, Raynor and RHB and using our limited budget to replace the retired Lewry, than sign Monty. Still you know better than me:thumbsup:

Not sure we have a limited budget, we have shed a few players and will not be playing Prior next season.

Not unhappy with Monty signing, Rayner went backwards last season and does not deserve to be the front line spinner. Beer has talent, but he is not there yet and leggies do tend to take a bit longer to develop (other than Warne).

Marc

Jul 6, 2003

:lolol: of course I cant proerply comment on ANYTHING really but people bashing his name before hes bowled a ball is abit shitty, sure we have great youngsters coming through and they will get their chance (probably...just to self defense myself there innit!!).
Monty has a chance to re-ignite his career with England and I've no doubt he will try his very best to do so.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Not sure we have a limited budget, we have shed a few players and will not be playing Prior next season.

Not unhappy with Monty signing, Rayner went backwards last season and does not deserve to be the front line spinner. Beer has talent, but he is not there yet and leggies do tend to take a bit longer to develop (other than Warne).
....but where better to develop his talent than in the first team in the second division, he'll only improve by playing games. I'd be happy with RHB and Beer as my spinners, lets hope for a really dry summer.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
....but where better to develop his talent than in the first team in the second division, he'll only improve by playing games. I'd be happy with RHB and Beer as my spinners, lets hope for a really dry summer.

Gower is never going to be a front line spinner, he is a batsman who can bowl a bit, as is Nash and Yardy.

Monty is a good signing, we have Mushy for most of next summer as he does not want to work for England during a series against Pakistan, so he will have time to work with Monty and WAT Beer.

They could do with finding a quickie, but not sure there are many options out there. I think we could take our chances with Aga and Liddle next season, although if all are available I suspect they will use Wright, Yassir, the Swede Basher and RMJ as a rule.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
:lolol: of course I cant proerply comment on ANYTHING really but people bashing his name before hes bowled a ball is abit shitty, sure we have great youngsters coming through and they will get their chance (probably...just to self defense myself there innit!!).
Monty has a chance to re-ignite his career with England and I've no doubt he will try his very best to do so.
Not having a go at you or Monty really, he's ours now and I'll defend him to the death (so to speak) but an educated guess would say that he'll be on a hefty wage, by our non-test match ground status, which I'd have liked to have been spent on a position which we haven't really got anyone to fill....with a bit of luck we'll announce Harmison as a Sussex player next week and stop people like me from moaning:smile:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Gower is never going to be a front line spinner, he is a batsman who can bowl a bit, as is Nash and Yardy.

Monty is a good signing, we have Mushy for most of next summer as he does not want to work for England during a series against Pakistan, so he will have time to work with Monty and WAT Beer.

They could do with finding a quickie, but not sure there are many options out there. I think we could take our chances with Aga and Liddle next season, although if all are available I suspect they will use Wright, Yassir, the Swede Basher and RMJ as a rule.

Well as long as we win it doesn't really matter who takes the wickets, if anyone can get Monty back to his best it has to be Mushy (I expect that was a big pull for Monty). Panasar will lift our profile, which is a good thing, and he's got as good a chance of getting turning pitches at Hove as anywhere.....but I still maintain that in Rayner, Beer, Yardy, RHB and Nash we've got enough in the spin department, you don't and that's fine by me, it would be a boring old world if we all agreed all of the time.

Gullywog

Blackbird
Sep 12, 2008
exactly the sort of SHIT signing that has resulted in us being in the second tier!!

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton

Agreed, after all we were in the market for Hoggard as well, and he wouldn't have come cheap.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
He's done well for us this season. In the first few games he hardly bowled because the seamers cleaned up and towards the end of the season he maybe hasn't had the assistance from dryer pitches he maybe could have expected. His batting average is better than usual too this year.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
8th in the list of wicket takers in Division Two this season.

Cricket Records | County Championship Division Two, 2010 | Records | Most wickets | Cricinfo.com

...and unless I am being thick, he is the most prolific spinner (albeit at at advantage with the Hove pitches).

Claude Henderson is above him and Dean Cosker is now level with him but it's not a bad record considering how little he bowled in the first few games.

EDIT: Just seen Robin Peterson is above him too

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I take back all that rubbish I spouted. Monty has done really well and has been integral to our fine championship season. He can't be far off an international recall.

MONTY:bowdown:

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
I take back all that rubbish I spouted. Monty has done really well and has been integral to our fine championship season. He can't be far off an international recall.

MONTY:bowdown:

Not sure why you'd recall him when we have Swann who's the best spinner in the world at the moment. He'll be in the squad for the ashes but won't play at most. Personally Tredwell seems to be above him in the pecking order

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
This is a man who kept the Aussies at bay in Cardiff.

:Monty:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here