Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Monty Panesar signs !!

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Shambles.

If he's any good he'll be in the national team, so it's pointless.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Shambles.

If he's any good he'll be in the national team, so it's pointless.

Had you thought about what he'd have to do to get back in the team? Take loads of wickets for us that's what.

If he did get back into England contention we would get funding so he would cease costing us much money if any.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Top top signing for me. We will get Monty back to his best, and then we have a flair showman player who always gives his best. What's not to like?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
lord no... I'd rather have Salisbury back !

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
I was surprised at first. But Robbo is no mug.

Could be quite a cute move.

Sure, he may get back in contention for the England team, but even in good form, he woudn't be a shoe-in, and unlikely to play ODIs or T20. So we wouldn't lose him that much and - if/when we do - we have real strength in depth in the spin dept, as long as they're all prepared to stick around when no in the first X1.

It's worth bearing in mind that Mushy has been working with Monty as part of the England setup, and I bet he's had some input into Robbo's thinking. If I'm right about that, then I'd say it's a good call.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Well what kind of message is it sending to the likes of Will Beer ? We need to get Hove back to a seamers wicket and then a pair of decent 'quicks' would help. Not impressed by this. :shrug:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
What about a fast bowler FFS Robinson......oh well Monty is funny if nothing else.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
we have beer and rayner, two promising up-and-coming spinners, so signing panesar, especially given his record last season and the fact that with the novelty factor wearing off, he seems to have been 'found out' is a particularly bizarre decision

the squad needed strenghtening, and there are positions in which we need players far far more than spin - especially if we are spending a considerable chunk of our wage bill on him

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
we have beer and rayner, two promising up-and-coming spinners, so signing panesar, especially given his record last season and the fact that with the novelty factor wearing off, he seems to have been 'found out' is a particularly bizarre decision

I wouldn't call Rayner an up-and-coming spinner any more, he's now 24 and has had four seasons since his debut. He had his chance to be the main spinner last year and blew it. He's not a lost case - 24 is still young for a spinner - but he needs to get his mojo back. Monty might be the catalyst to stir him.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Well after watching Will Beer in the 20/20 if i was him i would be livid. Panesar at county level has been dire for the last two seasons at least.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here