Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Money

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Firstly, I will start with the blindly obvious and say: The club has very little money.

What I do find annoying is this labelling of Dick Knight as being tight or "Dick Tight" as unimaginative call him...I suppose they think it is funny. Moaning about the chairmans lack of spending when we are not flush with cash is stupid.

Even when it came to appointing a new manager some quarters where saying that offering the job internally or to someone out of work is a cheap option. These same people would no doubt have called Knight a hypocrite and worse than Madjeski had he splashed out and approached a manager already in post.

Now, if tight is what Dick Knight is then I am all for it. One only needs to look back over the last couple of pages in this site to see threads about Leeds United, York City and Notts County. All in varying degrees of trouble but they all boil down to one denominator: Money. I remember all to well what we went through in the early 1990's with us in and out of the high court. Spending time at school with my mind obviously elsewhere and then rushing home to see if we had been granted a stay of execution. There were no mobile phones when I was at school!!! Praying that the court would prolong our existence for another couple of months at least. Preparing ourselves for our "last ever game". The club even moved a fixture forward 24 hours as the court appearance the following day could have seen the club wound up. Those were horrible times and ones that I never wish to experience again. The financial stability of this club is paramount.

But, I must add I don't think Dick has been tight. In fact we have spent a fair bit over the last few seasons. If we wind back to Mickey Adams' first summer in charge he completely restructured the team and I bet that did not come cheap. The second summer Adams' added both Zamora and Booker to the squad as well as Simon Morgan who I reckon was earning a good wage. For Mickey's third summer in charge we had the pitch re-laid and a new drainage system put in that came to £100,000.

Perhaps spending all that money back then has resulted in our short-fall now but I hear no one complaining about the 2 championships and having a good go in division 1. So therefore the investment has paid off.

So basically all I am saying is we should stop slagging off our board when we have one of the better ones in this country. We have spent money and it has served us well and now we are cutting our cloth accordingly without putting this club in financial danger.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
What a good post Thimble, well said that man.

Jul 5, 2003
Manchester.
Thimble Keegan said:
Firstly, I will start with the blindly obvious and say: The club has very little money.

What I do find annoying is this labelling of Dick Knight as being tight or "Dick Tight" as unimaginative call him...I suppose they think it is funny. Moaning about the chairmans lack of spending when we are not flush with cash is stupid.

Even when it came to appointing a new manager some quarters where saying that offering the job internally or to someone out of work is a cheap option. These same people would no doubt have called Knight a hypocrite and worse than Madjeski had he splashed out and approached a manager already in post.

Now, if tight is what Dick Knight is then I am all for it. One only needs to look back over the last couple of pages in this site to see threads about Leeds United, York City and Notts County. All in varying degrees of trouble but they all boil down to one denominator: Money. I remember all to well what we went through in the early 1990's with us in and out of the high court. Spending time at school with my mind obviously elsewhere and then rushing home to see if we had been granted a stay of execution. There were no mobile phones when I was at school!!! Praying that the court would prolong our existence for another couple of months at least. Preparing ourselves for our "last ever game". The club even moved a fixture forward 24 hours as the court appearance the following day could have seen the club wound up. Those were horrible times and ones that I never wish to experience again. The financial stability of this club is paramount.

But, I must add I don't think Dick has been tight. In fact we have spent a fair bit over the last few seasons. If we wind back to Mickey Adams' first summer in charge he completely restructured the team and I bet that did not come cheap. The second summer Adams' added both Zamora and Booker to the squad as well as Simon Morgan who I reckon was earning a good wage. For Mickey's third summer in charge we had the pitch re-laid and a new drainage system put in that came to £100,000.

Perhaps spending all that money back then has resulted in our short-fall now but I hear no one complaining about the 2 championships and having a good go in division 1. So therefore the investment has paid off.

So basically all I am saying is we should stop slagging off our board when we have one of the better ones in this country. We have spent money and it has served us well and now we are cutting our cloth accordingly without putting this club in financial danger.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

You can't read between the lines can you ?

Zamora £1.5 million
Coppell..Compo £230,000

Now where has that money gone? Its gone into Falmer!

Now to Leon Knight, If a club come in with an offer of say £500,000 then Dick fecking tight will say.....Thankyou very much. What will he do with that money ? I'll telll you ok, He'll stick it in his pocket and say like he always does that we've NO money.

It's about time he thought about the playing side for a change instead of Falmer. He keeps blanking the playing side and we us fans will say f***ed If I'm going to watch rubbish!

If Leon goes then we'll sink like the titanic.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Re: Re: Money

Lucky_Boy_Farang said:

I think a large chunk of it has gone towards the players' wages as well though. A substantal slice of BZ's fee is now in Bristol. But, your statement above is very true indeed. I have to admit that I will give up all hope if Leon goes this season. Next season, with the prospect of him walking away on a Bosman (as things stand contractually) will be a different matter.

Last edited:

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
no-ones even mentioned leon going.

we have probably THE best board in the country, and i dont understand why so many people are so insistent of them spending all this money until we end up like leicester, notts c, leeds, or dundee (who today went into admin with £13million debt)

these people really need to think long and hard about what there saying.

either that or they've started supporting the club, and football generally that isnt on the tele in the recent past and have no idea what has gone on and in what a very poor state many clubs finances are.

and in reply to farangs post, i will never say 'f***ed if i'm going to watch that rubbish'. i support this club and will continue to do so. i know this has been done to death but we cannot survive where we are losing the amount of money we are. we have to look in the long term, and people have to stop criticising dick knight for putting the money where it is needed most.

i take it you werent at notts county as we played very well.

and in case other whingers hadnt noticed, we're 4th in the league for fecks sake.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Withdean didn't/doesn't come cheap and I don't have a 200 mile round trip to the arsehole of England to watch home games, which is nice.

Selling BZ was the end of the world, but now we have LK. Having watched BZ's lame efforts at the end of last season I know who I'd rather have now.

DK is a Feckin' magician, but that's just my opinion.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Yeah but we have to think posotive and move forward and not back as we have been there and once is enough grrrrr.

Thought we had been through all this already and people on here must learn to accept people have diffrent views regardless.:)

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Icy Gull said:
Withdean didn't/doesn't come cheap and I don't have a 200 mile round trip to the arsehole of England to watch home games, which is nice.

Selling BZ was the end of the world, but now we have LK. Having watched BZ's lame efforts at the end of last season I know who I'd rather have now.

DK is a Feckin' magician, but that's just my opinion.
Lets not forget that coppell got us knight so he wasn't all bad.:p

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Re: Re: Money

Lucky_Boy_Farang said:
You can't read between the lines can you ?

Zamora £1.5 million
Coppell..Compo £230,000

Now where has that money gone? Its gone into Falmer!

Now to Leon Knight, If a club come in with an offer of say £500,000 then Dick fecking tight will say.....Thankyou very much. What will he do with that money ? I'll telll you ok, He'll stick it in his pocket and say like he always does that we've NO money.

It's about time he thought about the playing side for a change instead of Falmer. He keeps blanking the playing side and we us fans will say f***ed If I'm going to watch rubbish!

You are answering your own points...The money goes into the Falmer pot and quite right too. What people fail to realise is that if Falmer is not given the green light then we might as well shut this club down.

As for money going directly into Dick Knight's pocket's: Can I have your proof please? How do you know that is happening?

We have thought about the playing side and it has served us bloody well over the last few seasons. The only bad thing Dick has done recently was the complete lie over our budget last year but he has still created more positives than negatives.

At the end of the day within our support there are qualified accountants and other top people in their field and if the board are upto no good then it would be found out...Just like before. But there is nothing to suggest that is happening.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Manchester.
Re: Re: Re: Money

bhaexpress said:
I think a large chunk of it has gone towards the players' wages as well though. A substantal slice of BZ's fee is now in Bristol. But, your statement above is very true indeed. I have to admit that I will give up all hope if Leon goes this season. Next season, with the prospect of him walking away on a Bosman (as things stand contractually) will be a different matter.

If he sees his contract out and decides to leave then so be it and I will say thanks for what you've done for us. But if we get the green light for Falmer then he might think.......Hey I've scored 30+ goals (I'm hoping he does) here and they've got the go-ahead for a new Staduim, I'll stick around because this club is going places and I want to be part of that.

Like you say, If Leon goes then I think a good % of people will say enough is enough.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
Re: Re: Re: Re: Money

Lucky_Boy_Farang said:

Like you say, If Leon goes then I think a good % of people will say enough is enough.

maybe if they dont give a shit about the club, which is certainly not any of the supporters i know.

and as far as i can see the only talk of knight going anywhere is from you two!!!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Re: Re: Re: Money

Thimble Keegan said:
You are answering your own points...The money goes into the Falmer pot and quite right too. What people fail to realise is that if Falmer is not given the green light then we might as well shut this club down.

As for money going directly into Dick Knight's pocket's: Can I have your proof please? How do you know that is happening?

We have thought about the playing side and it has served us bloody well over the last few seasons. The only bad thing Dick has done recently was the complete lie over our budget last year but he has still created more positives than negatives.

At the end of the day within our support there are qualified accountants and other top people in their field and if the board are upto no good then it would be found out...Just like before. But there is nothing to suggest that is happening.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

I absolutely agree 100% T K.
Top posting squire.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
berkshire seagull said:
Lets not forget that coppell got us knight so he wasn't all bad.:p

I believe that Coppell could have been the best manager that this club has ever had. Loyalty is not a word that hangs easily on him, and I now (sadly) despise the man.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Im sure leon will see out his contract as we can't keep on relying on our luck of late of getting quality strikers to save us.
Next time it could blow up big time???

Jul 5, 2003
Manchester.
berkshire seagull said:
Im sure leon will see out his contract as we can't keep on relying on our luck of late of getting quality strikers to save us.
Next time it could blow up big time???

And it will blow up big time Berkshire, Everyone has luck and I think DK has used his joker.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Can't believe how we managed to get 2 quality strikers for 100k a peice grrrrrrr.:lolol:

You have to say that without the super striker we would be in big trouble for sure and thank god the luck is shining.:lolol: :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here