Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Monday debate: London Road

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
With Co-Op looking to close down its big department store in London Road, Brighton, and the area in danger of becoming a ghetto, what do you think will become of the area? What do you think should be done to re-generate the area?

New High Street chains encouraged to move in? Abandon the concept of London Road as a shopping street and make it a residential street? Raze it to the ground and have one large park?

What do you reckon?

Last edited:

D

Deleted User X18H

I think you live quite near me however the final nail in the London Road/ Preston Circus ciffin is that Hove Born and Bred will be back in Hove 3rd week in November.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
London Road is getting rather nasty, I nearly got a flat there but decided it was just too grim. Major redevelopment required.

Mind you can't see any major NIMBY element getting upset about a stadium there. Parking might not be too clever though.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
hove born&bred said:
I think you live quite near me however the final nail in the London Road/ Preston Circus ciffin is that Hove Born and Bred will be back in Hove 3rd week in November.

Oh are you moving? I hadn't heard.

Yeesh.

I went to primary school just off London Road. The wonderful St Bartholomews. Great walk through the Level kicking stones and counting dog turds.
I don't remember London Road ever being that nice. It's semi-functional for those who can't be arsed to go to town. Co-Op, Woolies, Somerfields etc. You can buy a bike. Or walk down a little alleyway that has a human poo in it. Between the Duke of Yorks and Grubs, it's always been a black hole where old women fight with wheeled bags.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Surely SUBWAY will put another store in where the co-op is, I noticed theres another one in London Road now almost opposite the first one !!

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
hove born&bred said:

how will that impact the hove area though?

D

Deleted User X18H

It is getting much worse Mrs Hb&b refuses to use any cash point down there and there are a multitude of banks still which is a plus point ,yesterday I noticed a new hairdressers/barbers going in where the rat infested baker (Seabake??) once was.

However with the sort of moron you get in the Branch Tavern and the homless drop on centre I concede it is daggy .....Preston Cric however by the Duke of Yorks and Ashtons is much nicer.

D

Deleted User X18H

afters said:
how will that impact the hove area though?
In positive way, haven't lived in Hove since 1998. I can see the bunting and balloons now as I take the profit from selling my Brighton porperty back to Hove.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
hove born&bred said:
In positive way, haven't lived in Hove since 1998. I can see the bunting and balloons now as I take the profit from selling my Brighton porperty back to Hove.

yippee!! i think i'll get our place on the market while the feelgood factor pushes up hove prices through the roof.

the bunting and balloons could however be for the george street french market....as unlikely as that sounds...

rool

Jul 10, 2003
It's always been a grim area for as long as I can remember, but a lot of people live in the area to make small businesses and service shops worth while trading there. It's a bit like Blatchington road and Portland Road in that respect I think.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Two points:

1. Does this mean the main Post Office will close?

2. There is a major program of regeneration in place for the station and surrounding areas. I think eventually this will prop up the retail sector for London Road etc

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Most people walking down London Road seem to mutter incomprehensibly to no-one in particular whilst wetting themselves. There is a cafe which advertises "Baggets".

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
London road is grim, but just off it is Bardsley's Fish & Chip Shop, which is the best in town....

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
afters said:
yippee!! i think i'll get our place on the market while the feelgood factor pushes up hove prices through the roof.

the bunting and balloons could however be for the george street french market....as unlikely as that sounds...

Do you remember Charles and Di's wedding, Afters? I woke up and there were balloons and smiling faces that day on my street. My dad and i won the father and son race. People had baked cakes. Bunting swamped the houses like ivy. A big-eared man married a mentalist.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Brighton is way too over supplied with retail.

London Road either needs to find a niche like St James Street did a few years ago, maybe based around the Open Market, alternatively the Co Op would actually make a good apartment block.

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
London Road has many hidden treasures just off it. Bardsleys, the Chilka House, The Rosehill Tavern, Cobblers Thumb, Grubbs and the Open Market all spring to mind. Just a shame that the main road is full of PIKEYS.

But it is a main route out of town and generally they are shitholes.

D

Deleted User X18H

The only way I can see London Road moving forward is if a direct as the crow flies pedestrian route is opened up from the Station via the new Sainburys down to York Hill and Providence Place thus ceating an easy route to and from the station.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
My parents ofter went to London Road shopping - open air market and the Co-Op. And not as busy as Western Road. When the Co-op opened at Peacehaven - that was it really.

As long as it is the main route out of town it can't be improved a great deal. Pedestrianisation would be the way forward.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here