Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Monday debate: London Road

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Thats right near my college, it would be the biggest subway I have ever seen if they do.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Kncck the whole area around London Road down............it's an absolute shit hole anyway and full of low life scum !!:lolol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Pedestrianing it would be good. So many old people with sticks round there of a weekend it resembles Lourdes. They deserve to be able to shop in safety. And get some proper shops in. Could actually end up quite trendy, what with the Open Market nearby - could upgrade it into a Borough Market type thing fairly easily I'd have thought, and pull in a completely new set of bright young things who never venture beyond the North Laine.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The only thing London Road has going for it is that its quite close to the A&E.

The Large One said:
With Co-Op looking to close down its big department store in London Road, Brighton, and the area in danger of becoming a ghetto, what do you think will become of the area? What do you think should be done to re-generate the area?

New High Street chains encouraged to move in? Abandon the concept of London Road as a shopping street and make it a residential street? Raze it to the ground and have one large park?

What do you reckon?

The new Sainsbury's won't do it much good either - it may get worse before it gets better as the supermarket closes other smaller shops.

One postive for me is that the North Laine bohemian boom has reached as far as Trafalgar Street, which did use to be as depressing as people are now describing London Road.

Brighton town centre still has got a bit to go to be developmentally full - we've had the library development and the old Argus building - but development space in now starting to run out.

When that happens, developers will look again at London Road. Its relative proximity to the town centre and station development will count in its favour eventually. But it will take a few years for the upturn to come. Let's just hope the landlords have the good sense to charge cheaper rents to attract the kind of interesting businesses that have transformed the North Laine over the past 20 years.

E

enigma

The area does need redeveloping but it's really not as bad as people make out. If anyone thinks it's an intimidating place they need their eyes tested.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The worst bit is outside Sainos where all the Sharons hang out getting right in the way and the old dears trying to navigate a path through them with those pull bag things. Sometimes you almost brush a homeless.

enigma said:
The area does need redeveloping but it's really not as bad as people make out. If anyone thinks it's an intimidating place they need their eyes tested.

Exactly - I happily send my two-year-old down there every day to run wild on the mean streets.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Re: Re: Monday debate: London Road

London Irish said:
The new Sainsbury's won't do it much good either - it may get worse before it gets better as the supermarket closes other smaller shops.

One postive for me is that the North Laine bohemian boom has reached as far as Trafalgar Street, which did use to be as depressing as people are now describing London Road.

Brighton town centre still has got a bit to go to be developmentally full - we've had the library development and the old Argus building - but development space in now starting to run out.

When that happens, developers will look again at London Road. Its relative proximity to the town centre and station development will count in its favour eventually. But it will take a few years for the upturn to come. Let's just hope the landlords have the good sense to charge cheaper rents to attract the kind of interesting businesses that have transformed the North Laine over the past 20 years.

The spread of the North Laine isn't going to go any further than Trafalgar Street, though. The college and car park provide a kind of 'cultural gap' between there and the London Road / Brighton Station developments. So the 'bohemian' area will remain pretty much within the old North Laine boundary.

I think a fair bit of imagination is required to re-generate London Road. And I am not 100% against pretty much starting all over again.

I'd really miss my afternoons in Woolworths searching through the bargain bins for 99p CDs :(

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Meade's_Ball said:
I bet you can buy a pair of slippers for about £3 down London Road. Bargain.

Definitely, maybe cheaper in Woolies or Poundstretcher. There is also a scoopy place where you can get a scoop of washing powder and some nuts. And crisps.

And there is a Forfars with excellent sauage rolls and bloomers.

And a dirty video shop.

And Oddbins.

f*** it, leave it as it is, does a job dunnit.
Posh fuckers.

Some people would argue that London Road lost a lot of it's appeal as a shopping area when Marks and Spencer closed down there. But it has some good places as mentioned earlier such as Grubbs and Bardsleys.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think some of you need to get about a bit more if you think London Road is a bit rough. I lived in parts of Bradford that made London Road look like an upmarket development.

I like the area. I do most of my shopping in the Open Market and the Turkish shop. Oddbins is a pretty good offie and there's always Bardsleys.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Large One said:
No it isn't. It's about a mile away.
Hence the insertion of the word quite.
OK, I wouldn't want to hobble there after being gang-raped by a group of 14 year-olds outside Poundstretcher, but its a short-ish trip in the back of a police van (assuming they don't make a detour to stop off at a Burger King on the way, as seems to be the trend amongst officers nowadays).

E

enigma

London Irish said:
Exactly - I happily send my two-year-old down there every day to run wild on the mean streets.

I mean it's not the classiest place. It doesn't have particularly amazing shops. But it has some of the basics, and I really don't think it's that bad. My brother lives off the top of London Road and to me it's not a menacing place in the slightest- I wouldn't have a problem taking a child around there

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Definitely, maybe cheaper in Woolies or Poundstretcher. There is also a scoopy place where you can get a scoop of washing powder and some nuts. And crisps.

:D

Things i want a scoop of:
seeds, gay powder, perm-hair, bullets, egg, hormones, respect from Blockbusters employees, lapels, sex-badges from the scouts, a really posh moisturiser from an unlabelled box, self-esteem, steam.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here