Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mixed race marriages

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Excellent blog from the BBC's Mark Easton...

Reading 'The Adventures of Tom Sawyer' to my kids last night, I wondered what Mark Twain would have made of a black man in the White House.

In his tales of a mischievous boy growing up in America's south, you cannot avoid the issue of race. The setting, after all, is mid 19th century Missouri - a slave state.

The n-word is regularly employed to describe someone's "black man": the concept of ownership and the language itself required me to break off from the story to give my children historical context, perspective that seemed even more extraordinary as the United States queued to vote.

Samuel ClemensMark Twain (Samuel Clemens) was an abolitionist, but I suspect the election of Obama would have been unimaginable on two counts: not only is the President-elect black, he is mixed race.

The villain of the Tom Sawyer stories is the "murderin' half-breed Injun Joe". It is hard to think of a phrase more politically incorrect in modern America (or Britain) than that.

And yet you don't have to go back very far to find the idea of mixing racial blood socially and legally unacceptable. As recently as 1967, sixteen US states from Delaware to Texas had laws banning interracial couples.

It took a Supreme Court ruling that year to spell it out: "the freedom to marry, or not marry, a person of another race resides within the individual and cannot be infringed on by the State".

Four decades later and arguably the most powerful person in the world has a white mother and a black father. In the same week, a young man of mixed heritage, Lewis Hamilton, becomes the Formula one motor racing champion.

Where once there was a shortage of obvious role models, today there are successful mixed race individuals everywhere you look.

England's football World Cup squad in 2006 this summer included six players of mixed ethnic heritage.

Marks and Spencer advertises its clothes with two mixed race models: the ubiquitous Mylene Klass and Noemie Lenoir.

When Tiger Woods went on Oprah to declare himself mixed race, not black, it caused outrage across the United States - he was accused of selling out his black heritage. But Woods came up with a new word to describe his Caucasian, Black, Native American and Asian background: Cablinasian.

Tiger WoodsTiger's need to create a new word is indicative of the difficulties around language and categorisation.

The term 'mixed race' first appeared on the British census in 2001 and there has been a recent consultation on whether the definition is already too narrow.

Mixed race is the fastest growing minority ethnic group in Britain. Half of those who were described this way in the last census were children. Schools in Lewisham in South London were recently found to have 11% of pupils from mixed race backgrounds.

But the term is so broad that the Office for National Statistics has been considering increasing the list of ethnic groups in the 2011 census from 14 to 21.

Parliament must decide but an official at the Equality and Human Rights Commission has described the current 'mixed' category as "nonsensical".

For data to be of value to planners and policy makers, it is argued, we need to know whether we are talking about a white British/black Caribbean person as opposed, say, to a white European/Chinese individual.The performance and experience of these sub-sets may well be very different.

One argument gaining currency is that we are moving to a 'post-race' environment where ethnic and racial groupings become far less relevant than data on people's social background.

We are not there yet, but there has been a sea-change in the way society thinks about people who have multi-ethnic backgrounds. As a child, I remember the offensive phrase "half-caste" being used without shame. These days, race and ethnicity are three dimensional concepts.

A British website which describes itself a "for the benefit of mixed-race families, individuals and anyone who feels they have a multiracial identity" has a page entitled 'mixed race icons'. The only two photographs are of the late comedian Charlie Williams and the decathlete Daley Thompson.

As of today, they might like to put up a snap of the next President of the United States of America.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Give it another 10 generations or so and there will probably be no white people left in the World, given the fact that if you mix a white person with any other ethnic group it is usually that one which dominates and decides appearance....not a bad thing really.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
not sure that mixed race marriages work.. look at Derek Redmond and Sharron Davies.......they both were in the same race ( 400M ) and they only lasted a few years... mind you it was hard finding a swimming pool next to a a running track

Give it another 10 generations or so and there will probably be no white people left in the World, given the fact that if you mix a white person with any other ethnic group it is usually that one which dominates and decides appearance....not a bad thing really.

Not remotely true for America, let alone the world. The USA is still highly segragated residentially, and this will ensure the identity of the two main races.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Not remotely true for America, let alone the world. The USA is still highly segragated residentially, and this will ensure the identity of the two main races.

A slightly puzzling bit of the BBC's coverage of the election was the live coverage coming from a "black" university in the US somewhere (think it was in Virginia).

It's where MLK went to college. It was - and remains we were told - an almost totally 'black's only' university. Then the interviewer announced that it was "sort of their equivalent of Harvard".

So it's a voluntarily racially segregated university. It's the one "they" prefer to go to.

As someone coming from a country where there is racial prejudice and racism, but where the educational system is not designed to continue to propagate the issue, I find this astonishing and cannot believe it is a socially helpful approach.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Take a pinch of white man
Wrap him up in black skin
Add a touch of blue blood
And a little bitty bit of a red Indian boy
Like a Curly Latin kinkies
Oh Lord, Lord, mixed with yellow Chinkees, yeah
You know you lump it all together
And you got a recipe for a get along scene
Oh what a beautiful dream
If it could only come true
You know, you know
What we need, what we need
is a great big melting pot
Big enough big enough big enough to take
The world and all it's got
And keep it stirring for
A hundred years or more
And turn out coffee coloured people
by the score

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire

You what! :ohmy: I presume you are black or mixed race or are you another self hating white liberal

Anyway it dosent always work that way. Martin Gore of Depeche Mode is mixed race.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
I saw that. It got glossed over somewhat. The tone he said it also suggested someone else had actually referred to him as that too. You could see a stunned reaction from the great and the good gathered behind him when he said it.

I think he actually was going to say I am a puppet but got his words mixed up. The wheels are coming off the Obama Cult already

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
You what! :ohmy: I presume you are black or mixed race or are you another self hating white liberal

Anyway it dosent always work that way. Martin Gore of Depeche Mode is mixed race.

I don't think my racial origin has anything to do with my statement, it is somewhat irrelevant in this context...what has politics got to do with it either?

What I posted was based on personal opinion and a passing interest in genetics. In humans there are certain genes that will dominate, including those that determine eye and skin colour. My understanding is that if two people produce offspring and one parent has darker skin, or blue eyes, the child is more likely to bear those characteristics. I know that this is not guaranteed and there have been cases where a black and white parental combination have produced twins with one of each colour, but the dominant genes are more likely to prevail. If you look worldwide there are probably fewer caucasians than many other racial groups, hence my prediction that as races inter-marry the white genes are likely to disappear gradually...whiteys your days are numbered!

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location

You really are a nasty racist little c*nt aren't you? I've managed to ignore some of your posts before but not any longer.

MODS - Can we ban this user please? Since when was NSC a forum for spreading vile hatred....?

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
There are nations which seek to "protect" their purity - I have a firend who has moved to Hanoi to be with his fiance - she has had to resign her job in the army to be with a "white devil". And if they have a child, the Vietnamese state will not allow it to be educated in a Vietnamese state school. How can that be a correct stance?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
As someone coming from a country where there is racial prejudice and racism, but where the educational system is not designed to continue to propagate the issue,

mate you should go and visit some south london schools, you are out of your mind, with the greatest respect, if you believe it does not happen here.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
You really are a nasty racist little c*nt aren't you? I've managed to ignore some of your posts before but not any longer.

MODS - Can we ban this user please? Since when was NSC a forum for spreading vile hatred....?

Oh dear the racist word and abusive language are you sure it is me that should be banned. I have never spread vile hatred on this board and you know it.

If I was a so called racist I couldn't do the job that I do. Sorry to have rattled your cage. Mr Liberal:tosser:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here