Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Missing out again!! Time to pay out 40 notes?

Lord Bracknell said:
When I stump up 40 notes to the Forty Notes Fund, I'd like to know from the trustees of the fund (not the football club) how the money is being spent.

Have they ever told us?

No, But it isn't players or wages. while we're sweating at work to earn a living and sat here working out how we can make the club money, They’re out having a beautiful country knees up sipping cocktails thinking about how they can get a big money move away!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Oceanic said:
No, But it isn't players or wages. while we're sweating at work to earn a living and sat here working out how we can make the club money, They’re out having a beautiful country knees up sipping cocktails thinking about how they can get a big money move away!

The trustees of the 40 note fund are not the club.

I believe some of it went to Ben Roberts wages??
Where's The Large One when you want him?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
As a non-accountant, I'd be interested to know how come the individuals and/or companies who made the Capital Gains don't have to pay the Capital Gains Tax. How come it's the good people who were left to pick up the pieces that have to pay it?

Incredigull

In Cervesio Felicitas
Nov 28, 2003
Mile Oak
3gulls said:
No, i give the Club enough. If Knight cannot get/put more money into the Club, he is passed his sell-by date! :nono:

Just look at that queue of Abramovich types waiting to throw cash at us.???

tedebear said:
of course I agree with that statement - but when you stump up for your season ticket the consideration from the contract you've entered into is the right to see a game of football - not to have a say in the running of the club?

I fully agree. It's impossible for fans to micro-manage the financial affairs of the club. There are a huge array of issues of commercial sensitivity to worry about. There are just certain things that we have to leave to the directors to get on with.

The tax thing for me is a non-issue. Dick Knight only stated that a proportion of the transfer fees would go to McGhee - there are no signs yet he has gone back on that promise. What order the rest of the bills are paid in I don't care, as long as no one takes us to court. Leave that to our finance people and accountants to get on with.

McGhee made it clear last year that his contract renegotiations would also be about giving him a workable playing budget. If McGhee is satisfied, so should we be. We have outlaid an untypical amount of money (for us) for El Turi. We have got Carole in who looks very classy. McGhee is chasing players for at least 3 other positions, and he is cautious and will not blow what little money we have on too-hasty deals.

Harty I think goes well OTT about the Asaba deal being an insult to fans. That's overblown rhetoric we don't need from someone who holds a position of some responsibility at the Beeb.

If Harty feels we have not recruited well enough up front, that's an entirely legitimate viewpoint. But I hope he doesn't allow his one man's view to dominate the phone-in over the next few weeks. Far better to create a genuine debate. Harty should get an interview with either McGhee or Booker and ask them about the striker situation and get their explanation of what the plan is with El Turi, CKR, Jake, Leon and the rest. Ask them if they feel a more experienced striker like Asaba would be a useful addition to that. Then such an interview could be played either before the game or in that dead 5-10 minutes at the beginning of the phone in where all Harty does is appeal for callers. That way we will get informed debate when fans can respond when they have heard in full the club's position.

The other side of the coin of the striker situation is presented by Brian Owen's interview with McGhee in the Argus today, where McGhee states McCammon's and Robinson's form midweek have given him a tough choice to make this Saturday.

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Sorry. I can't afford 40p at the moment. :(

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If I knew where the money was going I might contribute otherwise not interested.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Richie Morris said:
We shouldnt need to cough up another £40 and to be honest I think a few fans are getting sick of constantly shelling out for the albion with the same result at the end of it.

Its choice ..and I personally wont be doing it... but until falmer or a rich russian comes along nothing will change and it will continue to be pass the begging bowl around to keep the club afloat...Dont blame DK he has got us this far and has said he will stand aside if the appropriate invester appears..if they exist they are probably awaiting the result of the stadium issue before stepping forward

Last edited:

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
London Irish fair point taken on board.
Oceanic I actually pay for two season tickets every year, which are used by my son and my nephew, and prior to joining the Beeb I was a season ticket holder at the Goldstone for 8 years.

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
When the club launched the Alive & Kicking fund, I believe the target was £2m to keep the club afloat. Since then, we've received £500k from the sales of Currie & Cullip; £2m (approx) from the sales of Harding & Virgo, £400k (?) from the Spurs tie; £250k from Coca Cola, £250k from the Alive and Kicking fund. I make that a rather chunky £3.4m, and I've probably missed something (I doubt whether we'd budgeted for the £60k for the live Sky match vs Ipswich??). Things are still far from easy, but if the club was at all interested in buying Asaba, I'm sure they would have found the dosh. When a really gold-plated opportunity has presented itself (eg: Sidwell), Uncle Dick has found the dosh - we matched the Reading offer for Sidwell, but he chose the "bigger" club.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
We won't have got all the Harding money yet as it is in two stages and then appearance money.

I would imagine the players got a bonus for staying up last season.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Race said:
I wish!

Just a tiny tiny fraction of that shared between the squad!

Whatever bonus it was well deserved - magnificent effort :clap2: :clap2:

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
Have the club made any statement yet about the Tax they have had to pay? Whilst not actually obliged to do so surely there is no reason to keep this quiet and a statement would cost nothing. People would understand that it has to be paid.

In the absence of an explanation rumours spread to fill the gap.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Lawro's Lip said:
Have the club made any statement yet about the Tax they have had to pay?

I think we all wait with abated breath, then the Ernestas will launch their manifesto for a club takeover.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Lawro's Lip said:
Have the club made any statement yet about the Tax they have had to pay? Whilst not actually obliged to do so surely there is no reason to keep this quiet and a statement would cost nothing. People would understand that it has to be paid.

In the absence of an explanation rumours spread to fill the gap.

Has anybody actually asked them? Are they even aware of rumbles in the Nsc jungle?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Slightly unrelated, but i believe that all profits from "Come over the Dyke"sales go to the Forty Notes Fund...

This surely means it still exists? Therefore, who is in charge of it and what it goes towards?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here